presidential appointee questionaire

Thread: presidential appointee questionaire

presidential appointee questionaire

Would-be appointees quizzed on guns

President-elect Barack Obama’s transition team is asking potential appointees detailed questions about gun ownership, and firearms advocates aren’t happy about it.

The National Rifle Association has denounced the move, which has already led one Republican senator to consider legislation aimed at ensuring a president can’t use an applicant’s gun ownership status to deny employment.

It’s just one question on a lengthy personnel form — No. 59 on a 63-question list — but the furor over the query is a vivid reminder of the intensity of support for Second Amendment rights and signals the scrutiny Obama is likely to receive from the ever-vigilant gun lobby.

Obama’s transition team declined to go into detail on why they included the question, suggesting only that it was done to ensure potential appointees were in line with gun laws.

“The intent of the gun question is to determine legal permitting,” said one transition aide.

But even some Democrats and transition experts are baffled by the inclusion of the question.

Tucked in at the end of the questionnaire and listed under “Miscellaneous,” it reads: “Do you or any members of your immediate family own a gun? If so, provide complete ownership and registration information. Has the registration ever lapsed? Please also describe how and by whom it is used and whether it has been the cause of any personal injuries or property damage.”

Looks to me as if his appointees could be based possibly on anti-gun.

What is the consensus
    Last edited by Hamster; 11-21-2008 at 03:17 PM.

Obama’s transition team declined to go into detail on why they included the question, suggesting only that it was done to ensure potential appointees were in line with gun laws.

Which one's? Those of the Soviet Union?
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    .....Tucked in at the end of the questionnaire and listed under “Miscellaneous,” it reads: “Do you or any members of your immediate family own a gun? If so, provide complete ownership and registration information. Has the registration ever lapsed? Please also describe how and by whom it is used and whether it has been the cause of any personal injuries or property damage.”
    Imagine a response like "I own a couple of M1 Garand Rifles. They were purchased legally through the Civilian Marksmanship Program. The rifles were used, so I cannot speculate as to the number of personal injuries or property damage caused by the rifles in question. Several of my relatives have also taken advantage of the opportunity offered by the Civilian Marksmanship Program to own a piece of history. They too would be unable to speculate as to the personal injuries and/or property damage caused by their rifles (if any)."

These folks need to get their head out of their rectums. I'd like to see a valid birth certificate before answering any more questions.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Imagine a response like "I own a couple of M1 Garand Rifles. They were purchased legally through the Civilian Marksmanship Program. The rifles were used, so I cannot speculate as to the number of personal injuries or property damage caused by the rifles in question. Several of my relatives have also taken advantage of the opportunity offered by the Civilian Marksmanship Program to own a piece of history. They too would be unable to speculate as to the personal injuries and/or property damage caused by their rifles (if any)."

These folks need to get their head out of their rectums. I'd like to see a valid birth certificate before answering any more questions.

gf
    Or better yet, if you want the job badly enough, lie. The Tiahrt Amendment has not been repealed yet, so how would they find out the truth?