Shipping guns to yourself--Have You Done So?

Thread: Shipping guns to yourself--Have You Done So?

Shipping guns to yourself--Have You Done So?

I'm going to be travelling this December and will need to take several bags worth of things with me. I've decided to ship all but a single carry-on bag ahead. While I have checked firearms into baggage before I'd like to avoid it.

I know Federal law allows you to ship guns to yourself as long as the person who takes delivery does not open them prior to your arrival. I've never done this so I'd like to know your experience.

If you have ever sent guns to yourself UPS, FedEx, USPS, or other, please let me know if you were given any grief, any weird requests / requirements by the shipper, etc.

Thanks in advance for your information.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

3. Thumbs down Ship guns

Sure you can ship guns to yourself as long as you have an FFL to receive them. Sounds to me like you got some bad information. You better check this out with ATF before you go off half cocked.

Seems to me you could save yourself time, money, and trouble by taking them with you and checking them, as per airline rules. Is that not an option for you?
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

tatted

traveling on airlines with guns is time, money, and trouble. I still consider it occasionally and make myu decision based on when, where, and how long I have to/will be travelling.

If I am flying in or through any anti-gun, border state, or drug hub cities, I do not check firearms. There are horror stories abound of shooters losing thousands in guns (stolen? by TSA? others?) in cities like Miami, Phoenix, etc. If I can drive and have the time to, I will take that route. If I need to have more ammo than you are allowed to check, I drive or ship. If I have to go through nyc, chicago, or any other anti-gun mecca, I will not check firearms.

Anymore, the checked bag adds an additional cost, and expect to take an additional hour to deal with check-in. Counter clerks will prove that they know nothing about firearms, the airlines rules, or actual laws again and again.

NDS, I apolagize that I do not know the laws of shipping firearms to yourself, but I will tell you that flying with a firearms is a pain. Doable, but not my first otion in any case.

Good luck.

Okay, let's try again. I was hoping to get answer to my actual question from people who have done this. Not speculation from folks who want to give bad information or make up facts as they wish them to be.

ATF Online - Firearms FAQs

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.
    That's a quote from the ATF website linked to.

I'll ask again. Has anybody actually shipped firearms to themselves? If so, would you please let me know what your experience was?

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by NDS; 11-24-2008 at 07:11 PM. Reason: no need to point out ignorance to the ignorant
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post
    Okay, let's try again. I was hoping to get answer to my actual question from people who have done this. Not speculation from folks who want to give bad information or make up facts as they wish them to be.

ATF Online - Firearms FAQs

That's a quote from the ATF website linked to.

I'll ask again. Has anybody actually shipped firearms to themselves? If so, would you please let me know what your experience was?

Thanks for your help.

I've shipped rifles from PRHI to CONUS via UPS and DHL. FedEx wouldn't do it, saying that I had to have a FFL. Along with being expensive, it was a pain in the backside. They had me fill out a couple of extra forms and kept telling me "we're not liable for your firearms if they are lost or stolen". My point to them was that the firearms were packaged in a non-descript box. Unless it was an inside job I wouldn't see why the package would be treated like any other.

Bottom line, if you're traveling to the place you're shipping your firearms, it would be a lot better to ship your clothes, gear, etc., and check the firearms in as luggage. I do it all the time when traveling by air, and so far only had 2 incidents in the last 7 or 8 years.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    I've shipped rifles from PRHI to CONUS via UPS and DHL. FedEx wouldn't do it, saying that I had to have a FFL. Along with being expensive, it was a pain in the backside. They had me fill out a couple of extra forms and kept telling me "we're not liable for your firearms if they are lost or stolen". My point to them was that the firearms were packaged in a non-descript box. Unless it was an inside job I wouldn't see why the package would be treated like any other.

Bottom line, if you're traveling to the place you're shipping your firearms, it would be a lot better to ship your clothes, gear, etc., and check the firearms in as luggage. I do it all the time when traveling by air, and so far only had 2 incidents in the last 7 or 8 years.

gf
    Thanks---that's the kind of info I was looking for. I've checked guns into baggage without problems, but time is short on this flight getting from work to the airport, so I was hoping to ship the guns when I sent other stuff ahead. I was afraid the shippers would make it difficult and it sounds like I'll have to weigh my options carefully while I decide what to do.

Best thing to do is call the shipping companies and speak with a supervisor if you get the "I'm not too sure but..." type of answers. I wouldn't bother calling the 800 #'s as they might not be familiar with any particular local regulations. When I shipped UPS, I contacted the local station directly. I actually went down in person, as I've been dealing with them for quite some time. The guy and gal at the counter that I usually deal with insisted I needed an FFL. I educated them on the ATF regulations, at which point a supervisor was called. When the supervisor couldn't make a decision, he called in one of the Regional VPs' that happened to be in town. The guy was an avid hunter and was very familar with the reguations. He had his secretary type up a memo that outlined the procedure and had them place it in the book of procedures for all of the stations here in PRHI. Along with the usual BS, they advised me that I had to show them evidence that the firearm was properly registered with the local PD. Hawaii law requires rifles to be registered only if they were brought in to the state after July 1, 1994. My primary hunting rifle was manufactured in 1969, and they asked for the registration for this rifle. After some discussion, they determined that I only needed registrations for my firearms that were required to be registered.

The DHL experience was similar, except the counter people made a couple of phone calls and had me fill out the appropriate forms. They requested my registrations as well.

In both cases, I needed to supply the original registration forms, and they made their own photocopies. I found the experience to be irritating and cumbersome. If you're dead set against transporting your firearms by air, using a FFL to transfer the firearms may be a viable option. The rates via USPS priority mail are a lot less than what you'll have to pay UPS or DHL (I had to pay the "next day" shipping fees). Even with the FFL transfer fees, you may end up coming out ahead.

Let me know if you need any more info.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Well, I haven't checked my firearms as luggage, but.....

I would really advise against checking anything other than a cheap handgun for personal protection when traveling via airline. As someone who has done a lot of flying, lost luggage is already a big problem for me. It is bad enough not having enough clothes upon arrival at my destination. I can not imagine the headache involved in trying to handle a missing or stolen firearm as opposed to some missing jeans. Since the first time that I checked a handgun, I have also noticed that the TSA always checks my baggage (they leave a note). It makes me wonder what kind of list I am on. Also, since the TSA always checks my bag, the instances of it being sent elsewhere have gone up.

I have now perfected packing everything I need in one carry-on bag. If I am to be carrying at my destination, I will send a handgun ahead via UPS. I have found that the carry-on only option has really reduced travel stress for me, regardless of firearm issues. No more waiting to check in (I just use an automated kiosk), no more waiting for baggage to be unloaded, etc. I found the following website really clarified things for me:

Leisure and Business Travel Packing List - Travel Light with One Bag!

Now, If I need to check a bag, it is only because I have a lot of gifts/souvenirs for which I have all of the receipts.

Good luck!

P.S. My title should have read "Well, I haven't checked my long guns as luggage, but....."

Flying

I have never had an issue with flying my firearms. Just print out all the TSA and airline regs and take them with you. Hi-light the important regs. I have had to educate a couple of airline emploees. Use good rifle cases. Pistols should be in other hardside luggage or a rifle case. Small cases are easy to steal.

I bought a bright orange samsonite suitcase after a couple lost luggage incidents. They NEVER lose that bright orange one, and if they did I wouldn't have to go to the claims dept and tell them I lost a medium black suitcase just like the other million lost that day.