My Recent Online Gun Control Conversation - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My Recent Online Gun Control Conversation

Hmmm, is Wiki Tiki Tavi incorrect, then?

"The AK-47 (contraction of Russian: Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года; Avtomat Kalashnikova obraztsa 1947 goda; "Kalashnikov's automatic rifle model of year 1947") is a 7.62 mm assault rifle developed in the Soviet Union by Mikhail Kalashnikov in two versions: the fixed stock AK-47 and the AKS-47 (S—Skladnoy priklad) variant equipped with an underfolding metal shoulder stock."

Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    Hmmm, is Wiki Tiki Tavi incorrect, then?

"The AK-47 (contraction of Russian: Автомат Калашникова образца 1947 года; Avtomat Kalashnikova obraztsa 1947 goda; "Kalashnikov's automatic rifle model of year 1947") is a 7.62 mm assault rifle developed in the Soviet Union by Mikhail Kalashnikov in two versions: the fixed stock AK-47 and the AKS-47 (S—Skladnoy priklad) variant equipped with an underfolding metal shoulder stock."
    Yes, Mikhail Kalashnikov is the father of the AK-47 rifle... often called "kalashnikovs" they (The Soviet version) are fully automatic weapons which makes them true assault weapons. Caliber is of Russian descent, 7.62 x 39mm... a very nasty round I might add! Semi-auto versions of these rifles are plentiful and usually inexpensive. At least until this past election anyway. Prices are rising very quickly.
    Last edited by Glockster20; 12-02-2008 at 03:24 PM.

4. You could also check out (or direct people to) a site I put up for just such a reason. It's called "www.indefenseof2a.info" and it has links and downloads to stats that show gun control only leads to higher crime rates. One such study was published in the Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy and looked at gun control in multiple countries. It shows (to me anyway) definitively that stricter gun control leads to increased violent crime. It also has links to other sites that might be helpful. I make no money from the site, nor do I ask for any. It's strictly for information only.

I know that ARs aren't true assault rifles - they are not automatic, only semi. Even though the J.Q. Public things they are, they aren't. I own one. Duh! I was thinking of M16s. Now, that was fun to shoot! But, I failed to do my research. I thought that AKs were. I'm headed back online to "bone up." Thanks for the heads up.
    Hey no problem. I wasn't talking to you exactly just kinda ranting in general. Now you can own a full auto AK47, M16, or any thing else for that matter. But be ready to pay out the butt and jump through alot of hoops with the ATF. I think last I looked it was $200 tax stamp to the ATF then between $12,000 and $16,000 for the M16. They are a lot of fun to shoot but can not justify spending that kind of money right now. Oh and I think the one I was looking at was a 10.5" barrel so I'd have to pay another $200 tax stamp on the barrel.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

So then, I guess we could say that an AK47 is both? It is and it is not an assault rifle? Just as can be my AR 15, if it's converted? Where can I find a definition of actually what is or what is not an assault firearm, besides Wiki Tiki Tavi? It's not always a factual site from my understanding.

So then, I guess we could say that an AK47 is both? It is and it is not an assault rifle? Just as can be my AR 15, if it's converted? Where can I find a definition of actually what is or what is not an assault firearm, besides Wiki Tiki Tavi? It's not always a factual site from my understanding.
    Here is a good link.

What Is An Assault Rifle?

A true "assault weapon" is any that is FULL auto. If you convert your AR15 to burst or full auto it would actually make it an M16.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Assault is an action not a term for a firearm. This is what the media is doing. There are fully automatic and semi and so on. Assault is not part of it. I have the right to have any of these and there is already back ground checks if it is a class three back ground check just your regular check. It weeds out those who have criminal or mental diabilities.
    If I want to protect my house with a AR15 that is my right. Criminals for the most part do not carry AK's or AR's. they carry hand guns. You here about the AK's and AR's but that is small part. So don't say that you agree that there is no place for AK's or AR's. When the bad guy comes to my house or my shop. I am not grabbing my hand gun I am grabing a rifle. If it is a AK or AR it doesn't matter. Under fire you are better off with a rifle. I shoot at least three or more times a week with my pistol. The rife is always better. You just can't carry one concealed.
    Any way don't give anything to the anti gun owners because they are like cats you feed them and they keep comming back for more.
    Last edited by gun runner; 12-02-2008 at 10:18 PM.

9. +1 to gun runner. I'd also like to add that the MOST confiscated weapon over the last 4 years is the Smith & Wesson 38 special. "Assault weapons" were only about 2% of the weapons confiscated. And at that, some of those were the full auto type (which are VERY restricted for legal ownership to begin with). Over the last decade, only 1.7% of weapons used in crimes were "assault weapons", and that's nationwide. The rest are revolvers and semi automatic pistols. And most are revolvers. THOSE are not part of the ban. So a ban would remove less than 2% of the weapons used in violent crimes nationwide. That's not even CLOSE to effective. It's sensationalism of the words "assault weapon" to take legal firearms out of the hands of law abiding citizens.
    In addition, Justice Scalia wrote in the majority decision for the Heller case that (basically) the federal government, nor any other government can ban weapons that are in common use at the time, especially if they can be used in the context of the Second Amendment. This would definitely include ar15's and commercial, semi automatic ak47's. While I don't know the number sold recently, I would guess its' in the thousands in the last three weeks. And that doesn't include thoes already in private hands. That would make them "in common use".

So if you go off what she is saying. I'm well with in my rights to walk around with a black power rifle /muzzle loader? Ok how about this one. What if i have my concealed weapons permit and again going off what she says i would be with in my rights to carry a flint lock pistol? Because she says the 2A does not cover weapons made now a days.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

wolfhunter Guest
    To put the Second Amendment in perspective with modern technology, the firearms carried/used by the common citizen at the time was the SAME technology as the firearms used by the military, not some arbitrary infringement and limitation from automatics, machine guns, silencers, 15 round magazines, pistol grips, or whatever.
    Last edited by wolfhunter; 12-02-2008 at 11:42 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast