St. Louis City Leader Says Police Ineffective, Tells Residents to Get Armed
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: St. Louis City Leader Says Police Ineffective, Tells Residents to Get Armed

Exclamation St. Louis City Leader Says Police Ineffective, Tells Residents to Get Armed

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

E-Mail Print Share:

ST. LOUIS A St. Louis city leader frustrated with the police response to rising crime called Tuesday on residents to arm themselves to protect their lives and property.

Alderman Charles Quincy Troupe said police are ineffective, outnumbered or don't care about the increase in crime in his north St. Louis ward. St. Louis has had 157 homicides in 2008, 33 more than last year at this time.

"The community has to be ready to defend itself, because it's clear the economy is going to get worse, and criminals are getting more bold," Troupe, 72, said Tuesday.

Troupe said that when he and residents approached a district police commander last year, they were told "there was nothing he could do to protect us and the community ... that he didn't have the manpower."

Police did not immediately return requests for comment. Chief Dan Isom told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch he understands Troupe's frustration but doesn't support citizens arming themselves.

Carrying guns, he said, is not a "recipe for a less violent community."
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

It is a recipe for more of the good guys winning in a violent community. If it is not a recipe then when he is off duty he should not carry his.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Finally, a politician has the guts to speak the truth, even if it is "politically incorrect." If I lived there, I'd reelect him.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Sounds like they need a new Police Chief. What a piece of work! They can't protect but he's willing to let law abiding citizens become victims. I guess he thinks that if the crime rate stays up he and his useless force will have job security. If I lived there the only time I'd call 911 would be for them to come and pick up a body...
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

gpbarth Guest
    First thing Ithought when I read that article in my morning newspaper was that this is one police department that just doesn't care! Maybe the chief thinks that if he tells everyone he can't protect them because he doesn't have the manpower, the local government might direct some more funds his way.

In any case, I don't think he likes his job, and probably won't have it much longer. "To protect and serve" is definitely not the motto of his organization.

Glad to see there are some logical thinking politicians out there. However, the St. Louis police chief is a fool!

What a idiot! Ok you first say that crime is way up, they are under staffed, and can not guarantee to protect and serve but then say that you still want people disarmed and relying on them! Forget that!
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

At least there are a few politicians that care about the public.

For some reason I think if every criminal believed every law abiding citizen was armed all the time there would be less crime. Maybe I'm wrong.
    David

The only person available to protect you 24 hours a day is you.

Ironically St Louis was one of the last holdouts for MO CCW reform. Somehow I see the demand for any CCW in MO will increase.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

I still don't understand why law enforcement officers don't want the people to be able to protect themselves. The deterrant factor alone makes their jobs easier...

Logic > Feelings

I wish politicians would learn this.
    Taurus PT92
    17+1 9mm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast