Who do you like for President in 2008? - Page 12
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 212

Thread: Who do you like for President in 2008?

  1. #111
    I want to like Huckabee but he's a huge opponent of gay rights and abortion. I'm not gay or a woman, but to some people those issues are as important as the 2A is to us. I can't vote for someone who will take rights away from people who feel as passionately about a personal issue as I do about mine.

  2.   
  3. #112
    Unearthed,I don't entirely disagree with you.I have heard it stated that"...gays should be as miserable as the rest of us."But I can not be anything but opposed to abortion.It is,to my mind,a civil liberty violation of the highest order to take the life of an unborn child.The child has done nothing wrong for due process to be used to deprive him or her of life.
    Give everybody guns.
    Natural selection will cull out the idiots.

  4. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainchild View Post
    Unearthed,I don't entirely disagree with you.I have heard it stated that"...gays should be as miserable as the rest of us."But I can not be anything but opposed to abortion.It is,to my mind,a civil liberty violation of the highest order to take the life of an unborn child.The child has done nothing wrong for due process to be used to deprive him or her of life.
    I completely understand and accept both sides of the abortion argument and why it strikes so deeply in so many people. It's a topic that I don't like to debate (ever) because neither side even considers the others point of view. The thought of an abortion would never enter the mind of anyone in my house, but I hate to take any more rights away from anyone in this country.

  5. #114
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NE Portland, Oregon - PacNW
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by Unearthed View Post
    I completely understand and accept both sides of the abortion argument and why it strikes so deeply in so many people. It's a topic that I don't like to debate (ever) because neither side even considers the others point of view. The thought of an abortion would never enter the mind of anyone in my house, but I hate to take any more rights away from anyone in this country.
    Quite frankly neither of those issues should even be on the Presidents desk or in the the White House. For what reason do we need to have the federal government, much less the President, dictate or regulate such matters. I am not into gay rights and at the same time I could care less what to people do in their own bedroom, additionally I could care less if they want to keep it secret or tell the world, just don't try and recruit me or anybody else that does not care for it or worse try to force me to feel comfortable and accept it. Gays are not my cup of tea, I don't hang out with them, and I think the concept of smoke'n another guys pipe is like asking me to eat cottage cheese on my hotdog with brussel sprouts on the side... it's absolutely disgusting! It is MY RIGHT to feel that way and I dislike the idea that people feel it is their right to force feed it to me. Honestly I could really care less if our President was a pipe smoker, so long as he/she tends to the business of serving and protecting the People and the Constitution of the United States and does not try and cram his/her sexual preferences down my throat!

    On the issue of abortion, ya know a life is a life from the moment of conception. While seeking life on Mars do we accept that life is an organism with the capability of existing in some form, beit one a cell being or a group of cells dividing and assembling to the state of being. In all cases we accept the definition of life to be represented in any or either of those forms and what gives any human being the right to take something so innocent, moreover there are those that abuse the abortion of "lives". In any event what the hell has that got to do with the President of the United States???
    Last edited by doublenutz; 01-03-2008 at 01:02 AM.
    MΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  6. #115
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Иєш Лєяжşєşŧăŋ
    Posts
    1,084
    Once again, D-Nutz speaks for me, and well said, too.
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

  7. #116

    Hmmmm...

    Quote Originally Posted by doublenutz View Post
    I [am] all for getting behind Huck and hope that he reels in either Thompsom or Hunter as his running mate. Any combimation of the three would be a clear and easy win for Republicans.:)
    Thompson and Huckabee for '08? Maybe. Thompson has that deliberate, low-key, wise old head image. Huckabee is more fresh and could, potentially, be grooming up for the top spot for the next term. Neither seems to have been blasting the other as a definitive target too much so, yes, thay could be a potential winning team. Normally, I would say you couldn't pair up a couple of next door neighbors but I have to admit Bill and Al did a fair job on the campaign trail so maybe these two could put together a winning ticket.
    Reality, DEAL with IT!

  8. #117
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Иєш Лєяжşєşŧăŋ
    Posts
    1,084
    Y'know, I heard someone say today that neither Hillary nor Obama can win. The logic seemd to be that the country wasn't ready for either a Woman President -or- a Black President.

    I had to disagree...sort of.

    As for a Black President, it wasn't all that long ago that Colin Powell could have been President merely for the asking...his popularity appeared to be so widespread that it was only his refusal to run that kept him from succeeding.

    As for a Woman, I still think that the first Woman President can be Condoleeza Rice if she wants it, and for the same reason...she's a magnificently intelligent, capable woman with a ton of experience, who presents herself with class, dignity and professional sophistication, and can actually do the job!

    So, in the end, it's not that "He's a black man" or "She's a woman." It's that it's that black man, and it's that woman that's ultimately going to get in their way...

    ...I believe.

    Ultimately, on the Democrat side, I'm rooting for Obama to beat Hillary because I feel he's more easily defeatable in the General Election. However, I don't think that either one of them are going to be the Nominee...watch for Edwards to win the nomination because of the reasons I present, and because, as a result of those reasons, he's the "default" substitute. And he may be even more easily beatable than either of the other two!
    Last edited by Ektarr; 01-03-2008 at 08:22 PM.
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

  9. #118
    Quote Originally Posted by doublenutz View Post
    Quite frankly neither of those issues should even be on the Presidents desk or in the the White House. For what reason do we need to have the federal government, much less the President, dictate or regulate such matters. I am not into gay rights and at the same time I could care less what to people do in their own bedroom, additionally I could care less if they want to keep it secret or tell the world, just don't try and recruit me or anybody else that does not care for it or worse try to force me to feel comfortable and accept it. Gays are not my cup of tea, I don't hang out with them, and I think the concept of smoke'n another guys pipe is like asking me to eat cottage cheese on my hotdog with brussel sprouts on the side... it's absolutely disgusting! It is MY RIGHT to feel that way and I dislike the idea that people feel it is their right to force feed it to me. Honestly I could really care less if our President was a pipe smoker, so long as he/she tends to the business of serving and protecting the People and the Constitution of the United States and does not try and cram his/her sexual preferences down my throat!

    On the issue of abortion, ya know a life is a life from the moment of conception. While seeking life on Mars do we accept that life is an organism with the capability of existing in some form, beit one a cell being or a group of cells dividing and assembling to the state of being. In all cases we accept the definition of life to be represented in any or either of those forms and what gives any human being the right to take something so innocent, moreover there are those that abuse the abortion of "lives". In any event what the hell has that got to do with the President of the United States???
    If you think a presidents beliefs on such issues have nothing to do with what social policy is set during their term...well then I'm not sure why I would bother reading your political commentary in the first place.

  10. #119
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NE Portland, Oregon - PacNW
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by Unearthed View Post
    If you think a presidents beliefs on such issues have nothing to do with what social policy is set during their term...well then I'm not sure why I would bother reading your political commentary in the first place.
    Does not bother me in the least that you don't read it. But you could educate yourself if you did. The President does not make any policy as it relates to those matters. He simply doesn't unless a bill is created and then the legislature votes and passes it and the President then signs it. Even it the President decides not to sign it the House and Senate can overturn his veto witha 3/4 majority to overrule him/her. Otherwise, these issues will ultimately end up in the SCOTUS where Justices will either interpret, create, change, or sustain the ruling of a lower court. The President has NO POWER HERE, NONE, NADA, ZILCH, ZERO. With the exception of appointing Supreme Court Justices that must still endure a confirmation in the legistative HOR house.

    The President can be a supporter of gay rights, or hell- if elected he could even be a friggin Klan member. What the hell can he do by himself to overturn a law, your contstitutional or civil rights, or create laws and bills by himself... like I said- nothing. Furthermore, the last time I checked- being gay or having an abortion is not mentioned anywhere in our constitution or our bill of rights so there is nothing there for the President to protect. However, as it relates to civil rights your right to be gay is certainly protected and even then you fight to have your civil rights respectfully observed in the Judicial branch of the government, not the Executive Branch.

    Many Attorney Generals have had their heads on the block for bypassing the system of checks and balances and heck the President can't even protect them from Senate or Congression investigations that look into abuse of that power.

    All summed up the Presidents power is not absolute,,,and why is that?

    Because:

    "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely and great men are almost always bad men."
    Last edited by doublenutz; 01-04-2008 at 12:34 AM.
    MΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  11. #120
    You have a valid point in everything you say but I would argue that the President sets the tone and appoints people who agree with his beliefs. Furthermore, I would suggest that presidents such as Bush and Reagan have been able to push Justices through the nomination process and have skewed the court toward the Right...just like they wanted. The AG is a member of the presidents cabinet and such is very much in tune with what the president wants to occur. Someone can claim all they want that the President is powerless yadda yadda but there is no way I buy that argument for even a second.

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast