Who do you like for President in 2008? - Page 13
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Who do you like for President in 2008?

Presidents Powers

Quote Originally Posted by Unearthed View Post
    You have a valid point in everything you say but I would argue that the President sets the tone and appoints people who agree with his beliefs. Furthermore, I would suggest that presidents such as Bush and Reagan have been able to push Justices through the nomination process and have skewed the court toward the Right...just like they wanted. The AG is a member of the presidents cabinet and such is very much in tune with what the president wants to occur. Someone can claim all they want that the President is powerless yadda yadda but there is no way I buy that argument for even a second.

I would also add that with the abuse of Executive Orders and Presidential Directives that has been used so often by presidents of boths parties the end run around the constitution by the executive branch has gotten much worse. What we have today is not the government we had 200 years ago and each day we move closer and closer to a New World Order. God Help Us.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Unearthed View Post
    You have a valid point in everything you say but I would argue that the President sets the tone and appoints people who agree with his beliefs. Furthermore, I would suggest that presidents such as Bush and Reagan have been able to push Justices through the nomination process and have skewed the court toward the Right...just like they wanted. The AG is a member of the presidents cabinet and such is very much in tune with what the president wants to occur. Someone can claim all they want that the President is powerless yadda yadda but there is no way I buy that argument for even a second.
    I can get on your side on these points as they are more than just reasonably true.

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    I would also add that with the abuse of Executive Orders and Presidential Directives that has been used so often by presidents of boths parties the end run around the constitution by the executive branch has gotten much worse. What we have today is not the government we had 200 years ago and each day we move closer and closer to a New World Order. God Help Us.

HK all true but that is not simply limited to the executive branch and the legislative has its share of contributions to misdeeds and corruption. That all leaves the SCOTUS which is for the most part "not guilty" in so much as it relates to these matters, that is not to say that I do not have a few issues with a decision here and there and major issues with many many lower appealat court decisions. This brings me back to the point I have made time and time again- Our next President will NOT be as important to shaping the future of this country as the SCOTUS Justices he/she will appoint . They will likely serve 20-30 years beyond the 8 our next President could potentially see. That is not to say the President is not important because he/she does nominate their choice. However the interpretation of the constitution and the sovereign rights held by the citizens of this country can only be protected by the SCOTUS in the end.
    Last edited by doublenutz; 01-04-2008 at 11:38 AM.
    MΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

4. And look what they did...

High Court Expands Reach of Eminent Domain

Thursday, June 23, 2005 AP news wire

The idealist in me wanted to believe in the idea that the Supreme Court was some how above all the temptations to disregard logic and law. Since their Eminent Domain decision, the straw that broke my idealist camel's back. I have as little faith in them as I do the rest of the other two branches of government.

High Court

Quote Originally Posted by eluno View Post

The idealist in me wanted to believe in the idea that the Supreme Court was some how above all the temptations to disregard logic and law. Since their Eminent Domain decision, the straw that broke my idealist camel's back. I have as little faith in them as I do the rest of the other two branches of government.

Yep, remember what Thomas Jefferson said about them.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

6. What TJ said...

# "To consider the judges as the ultimate arbiters of all constitutional questions [is] a very dangerous doctrine indeed, and one which would place us under the despotism of an oligarchy. Our judges are as honest as other men and not more so. They have with others the same passions for party, for power, and the privilege of their corps. Their maxim is boni judicis est ampliare jurisdictionem [good justice is broad jurisdiction], and their power the more dangerous as they are in office for life and not responsible, as the other functionaries are, to the elective control. The Constitution has erected no such single tribunal, knowing that to whatever hands confided, with the corruptions of time and party, its members would become despots. It has more wisely made all the departments co-equal and co-sovereign within themselves."
    —Thomas Jefferson to William C. Jarvis, 1820. ME 15:277

Thank god for the internet. A quick search and I found one of the quotes that sorta sums up what his thoughts were.
    If our Legislative Branch would remember the last sentence, they might grow a backbone and stop bending over to every wish and whim of Pres. Bush.

Just give me anybody except a Democrat, Giuliani or Romney.
    www.tngunowners.com

-molonlabetn

Quote Originally Posted by eluno View Post

OH YEA,,, I did not forget about that decision and it is one of the ones that absolutely astonished the hell out of me. Sad day in the near nearly (I said "nearly", not perfectly) history of the SCOTUS.
    MΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post

It is for this very reason that I think that Fred Thompson, with his Tennessee/Alabama moral training as he grew up as well as his Tennessee college education which he paid for by working part-time, is absolutely the best choice. Granted, he is not the ball of fire campaigner that we have grown to expect, but, he is most thorough and deliberate in the presentation of his views of the current political issues that are on the table.

Thompson and Huckabee would be a presidential ticket that anyone could be proud to support.

The democrats are their own worst enemies with their "Big Brother" doctrines. Now is the time to force them to voice their support for individual gun rights for law abiding and mentally sound Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by molonlabetn View Post
    Just give me anybody except a Democrat, Giuliani or Romney.
    No doubt, I am deathly afraid of the Dems and Giuliani to be specific. I actually think Obama is a sharp guy, and if he had even some of the same beliefs and fundamentals I do I would vote for him in a second. His statement about how rural folk shoud be "More allowed" to own guns is about the scariest thing I have ever heard. Plus he thinks Semi Autos should be banned....which would seriously be the absolute most annoying thing ever to happen. I actually think Edwards would be the best of the Dems as far as front runners and their gun control policies.

i have to agree, i think Huckabee is the best choice of the bunch.

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast