VFW no guns concealed or otherwise
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VFW no guns concealed or otherwise

1. VFW no guns concealed or otherwise

Stopped at the local VFW today and there on the door was posted "no guns concealed or otherwise". You would think of all places the VFW would at least honor your right to carry a weapon.. I live in North Carolinia and yes you cannot carry in a place that serves drinks but this VFW was in Virginia where it is legal to open carry in a place that serves.. All the VFW's in North Carolinia I have since been told are gun free zones -- no carry even if they don't have a bar.. unreal..

Some gun free zones seem hypocritical/contradictory. This, as well as the NRA's longstanding policy of not allowing carry at its convention are a couple of those.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

4. American Legion

Quote Originally Posted by Doc and his Glock View Post
    Stopped at the local VFW today and there on the door was posted "no guns concealed or otherwise". You would think of all places the VFW would at least honor your right to carry a weapon.. I live in North Carolinia and yes you cannot carry in a place that serves drinks but this VFW was in Virginia where it is legal to open carry in a place that serves.. All the VFW's in North Carolinia I have since been told are gun free zones -- no carry even if they don't have a bar.. unreal..
    My Post in NW Ohio fell victim to the whims of our local sheriff who, while following the CCW laws was dead set against it. So he went around to all the businesses in town and explained to them their right to display the the circled piece sticker if they didn't want guns in their establishent. Based on his visit, our post had a special meeting which was chaired by a special deputy, and even though we have 3 separate buildings only one of which has a bar, the Post voted to ban guns in all three buildings. It was a lightly attended meeting and when the vote was taken a quorum of 5 or 6 made the decision to go anti-gun was passed for all of our 800+ members. We were railroaded. Shows what can happen when nobodies paying attention. Sound familiar? Incidentally, the Sheriff is an active member of our Post.

This, as well as the NRA's longstanding policy of not allowing carry at its convention are a couple of those.
    uuuuhhhhh, four of us went to the annual meeting in Louisville in May of this year, and we all carried, along with almost 60,000 other folks who carried..... into the convention center. We had coffee with a few LEO's there on the last day, and they said they hadn't heard of a single negative incident.
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

gpbarth Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    uuuuhhhhh, four of us went to the annual meeting in Louisville in May of this year, and we all carried, along with almost 60,000 other folks who carried..... into the convention center. We had coffee with a few LEO's there on the last day, and they said they hadn't heard of a single negative incident.
    Yeah! I was gonna ask about that, too. I'm an active NRA member, and have NEVER been told that there is a rule against CCW at any of their meetings/conventions. What rule book did you get that one out of, tatt?

Maybe it was something to do with Sen. McCain being there, and I think, if I recall correctly, wasn't the section he was in, setup as a gun free zone, as he was the (R) candidate for pres at the time?
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

Senator McCain spoke in a different venue, in which CC was not allowed.
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy

Sorry to hear that the VFW is not allowing CCW. I'm lucky enough to live in Florida were a business can put up all the signs they want. If the business is not off limits according to Florida State Statute the signs are meaningless. Honestly, I've maybe seen one or two places that have a sign posted in the 3 years I've carried here.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Senator McCain spoke in a different venue, in which CC was not allowed.
    As I recall, that was still at the convention site.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

I got confused early on..... there's a Louisville convention center downtown near the river, and the KY exposition center south of town near the airport. I was under the impression that McCain spoke downtown. Hey, I've slept since then, and I'm old.......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast