Federal CWP - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Federal CWP

boyzoi Guest
    Dont feel bad C L...... I was told as late as 2006 by some LEO (K-9) that they were prohibited.
    it seems the bills passage hadnt made it around the country by then.

3. Not exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Canis-Lupus View Post
    ...the officer must be acting on duty in an area he she can be with a gun, after perps or following a case with the right warrants and jurisdictions,

and as for retired, he/she is no longer on any case or manhunt, so I don't think that is true and ask some other patron to clarify that for me.

Canis-Lupus
    LEOSA's legislative intent was to allow current and retired LEOs the means to protect themselves from criminal elements, due to their occupational exposure to the same.

If you read the actual federal law, there is nothing therein contained about active LEO's having to be working. There is nothing within LEOSA that stipulates that a retired LEO cannot work in a capacity that requires the carrying of a firearm, when they carry.

I suspect that you may be looking at a number of state laws that do not affect the federal legislation. But those covered under LEOSA must also comply with state laws not addressed within the federal law.

However, don't spend another 3 hours looking at some mindless person's interpretation of LEOSA, or even my take on it. ATF has some strange ideas that significantly differ from the text of the law as signed by the President as well. Go the the source and read the actual law for yourself.

I could be wrong here but I believe New York City does not allow any police, anyway shape or form to carry unless they have a NYC permit OR are on official business.

Can not remember where I read that. But it seems to be consistant with most I have heard about the place.

You have to be politically connected to get a NYC permit. Most know that some of the most anti-gun politicans are the few to get permits. GO FIGURE!
    Harvey Proud to be American, NRA Endowment, NYS Rifle Pistol, US Army Ret

PALIN 2012

Quote Originally Posted by harvey13118 View Post
    I could be wrong here but I believe New York City does not allow any police, anyway shape or form to carry unless they have a NYC permit OR are on official business.

Can not remember where I read that. But it seems to be consistant with most I have heard about the place.

You have to be politically connected to get a NYC permit. Most know that some of the most anti-gun politicans are the few to get permits. GO FIGURE!
    I see a lawsuit because that was the whole purpose of HB 218, to over ride any city, state or U.S. territory laws banning concealed carry, so long as the officer is certified.

PRHI, like PRNYC requires a permit to CC. LEOSA qualified individuals need to apply for a permit at the appropriate police station and get a permit over the counter provided that their documents are in order and information is verifiable. I've seen it take a couple of days for applications to be approved pending approval from the appropriate LE agency.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by harvey13118 View Post

We had that problem here in Texas a few years back when NYPD would not allow officers to carry while up there. I think we returned the favor, which made a few NY cops mad when they tried to carry down here. Oh well what goes round comes round.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    We had that problem here in Texas a few years back when NYPD would not allow officers to carry while up there. I think we returned the favor, which made a few NY cops mad when they tried to carry down here. Oh well what goes round comes round.
    That's the way it should be. As far as I'm concerned, if NYC officers try to carry anywhere outside NYC, arrest and prosecute them. Like you said, what goes around, comes around.

After reviewing LEOSA, I have noticed a few requirements for it to be applicable:
    --for current LEO's they may carry state to state, but they MUST have their police identification with them while carrying;
    --for retired LEO's, they must have been LEO's for 15 years, must have been authorized to carry during that time, must have had power of arrest all that time, must have an identification card issued by their previously employing department, and must be "certified" by their previously employing police department.
    --Also for retired LEO's, the identification/certification is not a one-time, permanent thing. They must requalify at least once every 12 months. This they must do at their own expense, as there is no provision for federal funds to cover this cost.
    --in either case, out-of-state LEO's and retired LEO's may only carry where it is legal to do so under state law; LEOSA does not preempt laws that prohibit carrying in certain places, such as courthouses, certain government properties, and private properties that refuse weapons on the premises.

9. Quote Originally Posted by harvey13118 View Post

Sorry I haven't addressed this post earlier. Work has been hectic lately.

NYC cannot preempt federal law, period. NYC may think they can, but I'm assured that the supremacy clause within COTUS neuters NY's piddly dink laws.

However, NYC cops have been, in fact, detaining armed non juris LEOs/RLEOs to verify their credentials. This practice has been documented publicly by the FOP, as well as the NRA.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Dewhitewolf View Post
    That's the way it should be. As far as I'm concerned, if NYC officers try to carry anywhere outside NYC, arrest and prosecute them. Like you said, what goes around, comes around.

After reviewing LEOSA, I have noticed a few requirements for it to be applicable:
    --for current LEO's they may carry state to state, but they MUST have their police identification with them while carrying;
    --for retired LEO's, they must have been LEO's for 15 years, must have been authorized to carry during that time, must have had power of arrest all that time, must have an identification card issued by their previously employing department, and must be "certified" by their previously employing police department.
    --Also for retired LEO's, the identification/certification is not a one-time, permanent thing. They must requalify at least once every 12 months. This they must do at their own expense, as there is no provision for federal funds to cover this cost.
    --in either case, out-of-state LEO's and retired LEO's may only carry where it is legal to do so under state law; LEOSA does not preempt laws that prohibit carrying in certain places, such as courthouses, certain government properties, and private properties that refuse weapons on the premises.
    Good post. This is an accurate summary of LEOSA.

However, I'd like to add that even if some departments of a retired LEO refuses to annually firearm qualify him/her, all a retired LEO need to do is find a department that will qualify him/her within the state of his or her residence.

This is good news for retired cops who move out of state, as well as the Chicago cops which CPD refuses to help out; as all they need is find some department within Illinois to qualify them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12