Federal CWP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal CWP

Federal CWP

OK here I go ...

what is a Federal Concealed Weapons Permit.

What good will it do?
    where do you get one?
    Where do you find info on it?

I understand Dc requires one, but man it must be a closly guarded secret...
    SC CWP, NR - NH P/R L
    .45 Randall 1911
    .45 Glock 21

I would like info on this too.
    If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective.
    Ted Nugent

Currently there is no such thing as a federal concealed weapons permit. There has been several attempts at a national reciprocity bill but these have all failed. This rumor has come up before with the usual "my friend at work told me about it" statement. Sometimes an FFL is confused for a CWP, however, they are completely different.
    Last edited by ronwill; 12-10-2008 at 10:02 PM.

The last thng any of us want is a fedral CCw permit, or really, even federally recognized reciprocity. The stae government, or in most cases, the county sheriff(as in NC) currently issue ccw permits. If the feds stick their nose in it, you may wind up with "may issue", instead of "shall issue". Ask anyone who lives in a "may issue state if they think it is a good idea.

Fedral reciprocity will almost certqinly come at the cost of a fedrally recognized training class, and fedrally licensed instructors. You do not want that. No one really knows what would be attached, such as caliber restrictions, magazine capacity limits, proficiency tests, (probably the only good thing to come of it), and twice a year requalifying, continueing education, etc,etc,etc.

It is like a fedral ID system. It sounds good. It would stop illegals from getting a job, sometimes, but isn't a SSn a fedral ID? SSns haven't stopped illegal imigration nor identity theft, they have onlt faciliated it. As well as making illegal fedral taxation very easy for the government.

Quote Originally Posted by 340mopar View Post
    OK here I go ...

what is a Federal Concealed Weapons Permit.

What good will it do?
    where do you get one?
    Where do you find info on it?

I understand Dc requires one, but man it must be a closly guarded secret...
    I don't know where you got your information, but there currently is no such thing. The only people who can carry anywhere in the U.S. are current and retired law enforcement officers certified by their agencies.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    I don't know where you got your information, but there currently is no such thing. The only people who can carry anywhere in the U.S. are current and retired law enforcement officers certified by their agencies.
    Don't forget the crooks. They carry anywhere they want to, also. Of course, if they get caught, then bad things are likely to happen. ;)
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    The last thng any of us want is a fedral CCw permit, or really, even federally recognized reciprocity. The stae government, or in most cases, the county sheriff(as in NC) currently issue ccw permits. If the feds stick their nose in it, you may wind up with "may issue", instead of "shall issue". Ask anyone who lives in a "may issue state if they think it is a good idea.

Fedral reciprocity will almost certqinly come at the cost of a fedrally recognized training class, and fedrally licensed instructors.
    I seriously doubt that. Not if it's handled correctly. The last federal reciprocity attempt merely stated that all states should recognize other states' permits. And I think there was some provision for working Wisconsin and Illinois into the system, even though they don't issue permits, nor do they allow lawful concealed carry.

Unfortunately, that law didn't get very far.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

The only federal CCW is LEOSA/HR218. The best I would like to see is an extension of the FOPA where you can CCW passing through a State if you're legal to CCW at your points of origin and destination.

If the feds get involved much more than that, it'll get ugly quick with an anti-RKBA President and Congress.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Quote Originally Posted by Canis-Lupus View Post
    "The only people who can carry anywhere in the U.S. are current and retired law enforcement officers certified by their agencies." That gave me hope so I Googled the idea (3 hours of searching 100's of near misses or bogus ads for CCW badges) and found that it is not a carte-blanch catch-all even for those LEO's, the officer must be acting on duty in an area he she can be with a gun, after perps or following a case with the right warrants and jurisdictions, and as for retired, he/she is no longer on any case or manhunt, so I don't think that is true and ask some other patron to clarify that for me.
    Canis just info but HR 218 changed laws to allow all "certified" LEO's (active or retired) to carry nationwide. Here's a brief description:

H.R. 218 amends Chapter 44, Title 18 of the United States Code (“Firearms”). Also known as the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004, H.R. 218 exempts current and retired law enforcement officers from state laws prohibiting them from carrying concealed firearms (other than machine guns, silencers, or other destructive devices).

You can also get more info here:

HR 218 Action Center

Quote Originally Posted by Canis-Lupus View Post
    Question on that so a retired LEO does have a federal concealed carry permit for a pistol for the rest of their lives, and wherever the wind blows them, even DC & with no requirement to recert? I hope I am tracking. Learning more with each post.Canis-Lupus
    Not really a federal CWP, they only carry their police identification with them. The bill exempts them from state, and U.S. possessions, laws forbidding the carrying of a firearm. Also, just bcause you get hired by a local sheriff's office, or police department, doesn't automatically qualify you for this exemption. Officers must be Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) certified.
    Last edited by ronwill; 12-11-2008 at 02:35 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast