CCW Carry in National Parks - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CCW Carry in National Parks

One other point to add to this:

National Park Service changes rule

As of December 2008, National Parks and National Wildlife refuges now permit the concealed carry of firearms within their boundaries as per state law.[cut the part that only applies to Florida]. However, concealed firearms (or any weapon) may not be taken inside any building on these premises that are regularly used by federal employees. Such is still a violation of 18 USC 930. Of course, open carry of firearms in permitted areas for hunting during season, with the proper firearm and a valid hunting license are unaffected.
    - FreedomsAdvocate
    Citizenship ought to be reserved for those who carry arms. - Aristotle
    My latest article on Associated Content

Quote Originally Posted by Stiofan View Post
    The law pertains only to concealed carry.

Here's a pdf of the final draft of the law directly from the Interior Department's website. http://www.doi.gov/issues/NPS_FR_PDF12-9-08.pdf

You see it only mentions concealed firearms. It also states the purpose of the law is to make concealed carry in and out of the national parks consistant within state laws. It never mentions open carry. If anyone wants to be an armchair lawyer and open carry, feel free but you have been warned.
    Thanks Stiofan! You and I read it the same. The Vermonters are out of luck. Open carry in National Parks at your own peril. If you want to be a test case feel free. The obvious solution is to get a carry permit. I have two permits that are recognized in close to 40 states. That covers a lot of National Parks, Monuments, and Wildlife Refuges.
    Last edited by gvaldeg1; 12-17-2008 at 10:28 AM.
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomsAdvocate View Post

I suppose some progress is better than no progress. However, what do they expect people to do if they need to go inside to use the bathroom? Go to their vehicle (if they arrived in one) secure the pistol inside, go use the bathroom, and then return to get their weapon before continuing on?
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    I suppose some progress is better than no progress. However, what do they expect people to do if they need to go inside to use the bathroom? Go to their vehicle (if they arrived in one) secure the pistol inside, go use the bathroom, and then return to get their weapon before continuing on?
    Pee on the trees/bushes. And dig a cat hole for #2

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomsAdvocate View Post

This blog states that it is not legal to carry in Federal Facilities based on 18 USC 930. When I looked at the actual code, in subsection d number 3, which outline the exemptions that apply to carrying a dangerous weapon, states the following:

(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

The last of the phrase, "or other lawful purposes", sticks out. Wouldn't State licensed conceal carry for personal protection, deemed by the state as legal and lawful, be considered a lawful purpose? Does anyone have any clarification on this or know of any case law? Here is the website I looked at the code: Donate to the Legal Information Institute
    Last edited by mtndwell; 12-17-2008 at 11:35 AM.

I've had to jammed up a few normally law abiding firearms owners get over nuances, so here is my two cents.

According to 18 USC 930, The term "Federal facility'' means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties. These are the places that we have historically been denied possession of firearms, basically federal government offices.

The section analysis of the new DOI regulation 36 CFR 2.4(h) specifically reads:
    Possession of concealed firearms in national parks as authorized by this section must also conform to applicable Federal laws. Accordingly, nothing in this regulation shall be construed to authorize concealed carry of firearms in any Federal facility or Federal court facility as defined in 18 U.S.C. 930.

The intent of this law was not to allow the possession of firearms in federal facilities, more to the point around federal employees. We could not carry there before; this new regulation does not allow us to carry there now. Please don't carry inside visitor centers or park headquarters. This is how NPS Rangers will interpret this law.

By the way nearly 90% of the Association of National Park Rangers was against this regulation in its entirety.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12