CCW Carry in National Parks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW Carry in National Parks

CCW Carry in National Parks

I came across this link and wanted to share. I have read quite a bit about this, but until this point, wasn't able to find any specifics on when it would be effective. All I heard was some time in January after it was published. It looks like January 9th is the big day when we can begin carrying in national parks (in states that permit it). Here are the specifics provided by the DOI. http://frwebgate1.access.gpo.gov/cgi...ction=retrieve

that link is not working for me.

Try another way

Sorry, the link worked when I created it. I have downloaded the PDF and posted it. If you want to get there yourself, go to Federal Register: Main Page and enter Concealed in 2008 Only search box. Click submit. It is the first item in the list. Choose your opening preference. Hope this helps someone.

Concealed Carry in National Parks

Thanks for posting the PDF file containing the complete regulation posted in the Federal Register. I know that there has been a lot of confusion about this new regulation. I have seen it stated on several occasions that you must have a carry permit from the state in which the Park is located to carry in the National Park. This is not true! If you have a carry permit (or permits) that is recognized by the state in which the Park located, then you may carry concealed in the Park. The specific part of the regulation that is applicable states:

"Under the final rule, individuals must
    have actual authority to possess those
    loaded and concealed firearms under
    state law in order to carry those loaded
    concealed firearms in Federal park areas
    and refuges. This means that the State
    in which the park or refuge unit is
    located must have laws that authorize
    the individual to possess those
    concealed and loaded firearms, and the
    individual must be so authorized.
    Additionally, to the extent that a State’s
    law recognizes licenses issued by other
    States, including the applicability of
    reciprocity agreements, the final rule
    would similarly recognize such
    reciprocal authorities."
    MOLON LABE

Does this law cover Open carry as well? When this law does take affect i am planning a group trip armed to the Nat park up the road from me.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    Does this law cover Open carry as well? When this law does take affect i am planning a group trip armed to the Nat park up the road from me.
    Nope! It only applies to concealed carry. They're worried that open carry would frighten or intimidate Park visitors. It takes effect January 9th. There's a message here. Get your carry permit! It's become increasingly clear that permit holders have more rights that non-permit holders don't have than ever before. That's not the way the 2nd Amendment was intended but...that's just the way it is.
    MOLON LABE

What spot says Concealed carry only? I read it and as it does say concealed and permit it also goes on to say the law will be set up to follow the gun laws of each state. So if this is true then in states that open carry is a right then this law should cover it. There is no place in the bill ( or in the link to the web site posted here with the bill) That is says it does not cover Open carry so link me to the part of the bill that says CC only?

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

^ You gotta point. WV, and Vermonters will be open carriers.

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    What spot says Concealed carry only? I read it and as it does say concealed and permit it also goes on to say the law will be set up to follow the gun laws of each state. So if this is true then in states that open carry is a right then this law should cover it. There is no place in the bill ( or in the link to the web site posted here with the bill) That is says it does not cover Open carry so link me to the part of the bill that says CC only?
    The law pertains only to concealed carry.

Here's a pdf of the final draft of the law directly from the Interior Department's website. http://www.doi.gov/issues/NPS_FR_PDF12-9-08.pdf

You see it only mentions concealed firearms. It also states the purpose of the law is to make concealed carry in and out of the national parks consistant within state laws. It never mentions open carry. If anyone wants to be an armchair lawyer and open carry, feel free but you have been warned.

This has been a long time coming.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast