Losing Your Guns - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Losing Your Guns

1. To consider the judges as the ultimate arbiters of all constitutional questions [is] a very dangerous doctrine indeed, and one which would place us under the despotism of an oligarchy. Our judges are as honest as other men and not more so. They have with others the same passions for party, for power, and the privilege of their corps. Their maxim is boni judicis est ampliare jurisdictionem [good justice is broad jurisdiction], and their power the more dangerous as they are in office for life and not responsible, as the other functionaries are, to the elective control. The Constitution has erected no such single tribunal, knowing that to whatever hands confided, with the corruptions of time and party, its members would become despots. It has more wisely made all the departments co-equal and co-sovereign within themselves." --Thomas Jefferson to William C. Jarvis, 1820.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Anyone who believes that a Clinton Presidency would not pose an extremely grave threat to the 2nd as an individual right is being beyond naive; just plain stupid.
    Anyone who believes the Second Amendment still acknowledges and protects a fundamental, unalienable, God-given right is just as stupid. Even within Heller the Court acknowledged the authority of government to impose all manner of licensing and control over purchasing, possessing and keeping arms even in one's home, as well as acknowledging authority to have nearly whatever permitting schemes government can devise for extreme burdensome limitations on carry except for an outright ban like D.C. had at the time.

The Second Amendment has been dead since at least 1934 with the imposition of the NFA. I contend it died close to 70 years earlier with suspension of the Constitution during the War of Northern Aggression, as well as the massive controls put on Southern citizens and states after the war.

To think that Billary can kill what is already dead, or that Trump can breathe life into what has been dead for 150 years, is delusion personified. No politician or government official, whether elected or appointed, can revive, resuscitate or otherwise restore life to the Constitution or any part of it. One maybe can accelerate or decelerate the liberty-killing decomposition effects of its death, but really, don't be fooled that it isn't as dead as a door-nail already.

Voting doesn't matter a wit.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

How Would Hillary Clinton Change Gun Rights?
    Her comments have put gun rights supporters on the defensive, but based on President Obama's tenure, gun makers may be positioned for another impressive rally.
    By: Rich Duprey
    Firearm manufacturers like Sturm, Ruger fear their ability to engage in "the lawful commerce in arms" would be tied up if the Heller decision is overturned, as some believe would happen should Hillary Clinton win the presidency and appoint the next Supreme Court justice(s). Image source: Getty Images.
    Sturm, Ruger (NYSE:RGR) has a warning for gun owners: In case you're not aware, there's more at stake in this year's presidential election than just who occupies the White House. According to some advocates, the very bedrock of gun rights will be threatened as the winner of the contest will also appoint someone to fill the vacancy on the Supreme Court left by Justice Antonin Scalia, an ardent supporter of the Second Amendment.
    The firearms manufacturer is putting its money where its mouth is: CEO Mike Fifer says Ruger is pledging to donate to the National Rifle Association's Institute for Legislative Action $2 from every gun sale it makes between now and election day on Nov. 8, in addition to making a matching contribution to the gun rights group up to a total of $5 million.
    Fifer didn't say he was supporting or opposing one presidential candidate or another. But in responding to an analyst's question about Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton during the company's earnings call earlier this month, he pointed out she clearly opposes the Supreme Court's 2008 District of Columbia v. Heller decision, a ruling penned by the late Scalia that established the absolute constitutional right of individuals to purchase and own firearms. He continued, saying she has actively campaigned against "the lawful commerce in arms", a position that's "unprecedented" and could result in a major shake-up for both the industry and gun owners.
    The importance of the Heller decision
    The Heller decision was a landmark ruling, because it embraced the idea that the right to own a firearm wasn't merely for hunting but as a means of defense, be it for personal protection or from a tyrannical government. It didn't apply only to the military or police but to every U.S. citizen.
    The District of Columbia originated the ruling as the city had made it impossible to own a handgun. The District passed a law that not only made it a crime to carry an unregistered firearm, but it prohibited even registering one. Any lawfully owned firearms kept in the house such as a rifle also had to be made nonfunctional.
    Heller was a D.C. special police officer who carried a gun while on duty but was denied the ability to register a handgun to keep at his home. He filed the lawsuit against the District on Second Amendment grounds.
    Although the district court dismissed the lawsuit, it was reversed by the D.C. circuit court on appeal, and the Supreme Court agreed to hear the case with Scalia writing the majority opinion:
    It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon. There are many reasons that a citizen may prefer a handgun for home defense: [...] Whatever the reason, handguns are the most popular weapon chosen by Americans for self-defense in the home, and a complete prohibition of their use is invalid.
    Two years later, the Supreme Court further affirmed that the Second Amendment also applied to cities and states when it overturned Chicago's restrictive handgun ban.
    Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton has not publicly opposed the Second Amendment's guarantee of an individual’s right to own firearms, but she has said the Heller decision was "wrong". Image source: Nathan Johnson via Flickr.
    What Clinton thinks about the Second Amendment
    It's important to note Hillary Clinton has never called for repealing the Second Amendment, though critics might argue her policy prescriptions would effectively achieve the same end. However, her campaign website does outline several broad initiatives for what her presidency would push:
    •Expanded background checks
    •End so-called loopholes in the system
    •Hold the firearms industry legally responsible for crimes committed with guns
    •Deny gun ownership rights to "domestic abusers", violent criminals, and the mentally ill
    While there are arguments both for and against such initiatives, pair them with some of Clinton's public statements questioning gun ownership as a constitutional right or supporting Australian-style gun confiscation at a national level, and it is certainly understandable why both gun owners and manufacturers are concerned.
    Gun companies push back
    Fifer wasted no time on the conference call before jumping right into the politics. Rather than discussing the company's results, the CEO made it known that Ruger was making financial contributions to the NRA, declaring it a "call-to-action" for customers and others who support the Second Amendment.
    Smith & Wesson Holding (NASDAQ:SWHC) has not been so bold in its public pronouncements, but it is similarly contributing financially to the legislative and regulatory battle. The company just announced it was pushing $500,000 to the National Shooting Sports Foundation's voter registration and education drive, #GUNVOTE, following Massachusetts' ban on modern sporting rifles, firearms that are incorrectly identified as "military-style assault weapons" and are functionally no different from regular rifles besides aesthetics.
    A targeted response
    So what might a Hillary Clinton presidency mean for gun manufacturers? Despite the rhetoric, it could be a boon to them, much as President Obama's two terms have been. From 2008 to 2015, Smith & Wesson firearms sales have tripled, growing at a compounded 14.5% rate annually, while Ruger's sales have almost quadrupled for an 18% annual growth rate.
    Their profits did even better. Net income rose six-fold for Ruger to $64 million, versus Smith & Wesson, which saw its bottom line nearly triple to $35.6 million.
    Those impressive results only reflect the demand in the marketplace for firearms. The annual number of criminal background checks conducted by the FBI for people wanting to buy a firearm have more than doubled since 2007, growing from about 11 million in 2007 to more than 23 million last year. There's a reason Obama has been dubbed "the greatest gun salesman in history".
    Adopting such a public stance as Sturm, Ruger has taken obviously raises the stakes for the gun makers should Hillary Clinton win the election, though the stakes were already high. But then again, President Obama similarly pushed for gun control, and his tenure actually saw very little federal legislative action. Regardless, Sturm, Ruger still has good reason to worry about how a Clinton presidency would challenge firearms sales and gun ownership.
    Read More: How Would Hillary Clinton Change Gun Rights? -- The Motley Fool
    My Thoughts:
    Considering these figures, looks like the American public are voting with their money.
    The only easy day was yesterday
    Dedicated to my brother in law who died
    doing what he loved being a Navy SEAL

Like it says: Motley Fool

"120,000,000 gun owners will not sit idly by and watch our rights taken away. We will come out to vote in higher than anticipated numbers, and we will NOT vote for Hillary. The fact is gun owners ONLY turn out as a block when our rights are under attack. For all his bluster Barack Obama never threatened us the way Hillary has. We the American gun owner are the wildcard the liberal pollsters don’t know how to account for."
    Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by opsspec1991 View Post
    "120,000,000 gun owners will not sit idly by and watch our rights taken away. We will come out to vote in higher than anticipated numbers, and we will NOT vote for Hillary. The fact is gun owners ONLY turn out as a block when our rights are under attack. For all his bluster Barack Obama never threatened us the way Hillary has. We the American gun owner are the wildcard the liberal pollsters don’t know how to account for."
    That's in quotations. Where did it come from? As one of the supposed "120,000,000 gun owners," I'd like to know who's speaking for me there, because I think the only "weapon" that author is willing to use is the vote, while only the credible threat of actually using real weapons stands a chance of dissuading all politicians (R) or (D) from further infringing on our rights. Whoever the author of that is, they can shove their voting bloc where the sun don't shine as far as I'm concerned. Gun owners have always been, and still are, their own worst enemies, starting with the NRA and their brain-dead myrmidons.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

What's your opinion on the possibility of Hillary becoming president and influencing our gun rights, considering what she's said, like, "If the 2A is a right".

What's your opinion on the possibility of Hillary becoming president and influencing our gun rights, considering what she's said, like, "If the 2A is a right".
    My opinion of Hillary's effect on the Second Amendment is the same as my opinion of Trump on the Second Amendment. Both supported Billy Boy's Assault Weapons Ban, or are you purposely ignoring that? Or you think the AWB is compliant with the 2A? Whatever you think (or wish, as the case may be), neither Billary or Trump will do anything that The People don't allow them to do.

Billary can't kill what's already dead, and Trump can't resuscitate what's already dead even if he was a true 2A advocate, which he ain't.

Your rights are your rights whether politicians like it or not. The only way you protect them is by defending them. Government's nature is to destroy them if you let them, which Americans have allowed without so much as a whimper of real founding-era protest for centuries.

You'll be left with only being allowed to own a single-shot bolt action .22 squirrel gun before you'll admit that the Second Amendment is already dead and buried, and that Republicans contributed to its murder every bit as much as Democrats have, or that Trump himself helped the Clintons themselves with disposing of the body.

I answered your question, now who wrote what you posted above?

Blues

I was a generic post author unknown sent to me on my E-mail by a friend and fellow gun owner. I should have put author unknown on the post. It’s been corrected.

I was a generic post author unknown sent to me on my E-mail by a friend and fellow gun owner. I should have put author unknown on the post. It’s been corrected.
    In other words, it was absolute bovine excrement from the beginning. Just as I thought.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast