2017 social security cola increase - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: 2017 social security cola increase

  1. #21
    My wife's stepfather was a farmer and did not pay into S/S for years due to losses in the Ag business, and when he was 65 and applied for S/S he was told he would have to work 8 more years and pay in S/S before he could collect anything.

  2.   
  3. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    SC Lowcountry
    Posts
    1,550
    Government entitlements are either contributory or non-contributory. This site describes the difference. (I'm not giving a general endorsement of this site but just providing it for the definitions.)

    Entitlement Programs - Federal Safety Net

  4. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by SR9 View Post
    The difference is, if you do not pay into S/S or don't pay in enough, you can not collect when you hit the age limit. But you can collect food stamps, housing, and education even if you never lived here before, of paid into anything.
    Correct. That still doesn't mean that Social Security isn't an entitlement program. I guess you have been successfully convinced by the elites that Social Security is somehow an earned benefit program. It is not. The money you pay into Social Security is not being used to pay your benefits. Not only that. Most Americans do not pay enough into Social Security that would make up for what they will later receive, hence it is an entitlement program. They are entitled to a benefit they didn't pay for.

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by ken grant View Post
    The people getting these entitlements are not required by law to receive them and can decide not to.
    I am not sure what you are arguing here. Are you saying that because I can refuse to take food stamps it is an entitlement? This doesn't make much sense.

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hog Jaw, Arkansas
    Posts
    2,275
    Howdy,

    Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    Correct. That still doesn't mean that Social Security isn't an entitlement program. I guess you have been successfully convinced by the elites that Social Security is somehow an earned benefit program. It is not. The money you pay into Social Security is not being used to pay your benefits. Not only that. Most Americans do not pay enough into Social Security that would make up for what they will later receive, hence it is an entitlement program. They are entitled to a benefit they didn't pay for.
    Yes. No. Kinda. Not really.

    Using a savings calculator I did a quick calculation of what I have paid into SS, not counting what my employer has paid, added a reasonable rate of return ( based on my TSP rate of return), etc. Based on working 45 years, then looking at what I will receive when I retire and that I'll live to be 85yo, I'm ending up on the short end of the stick.

    My wife also ends up on the short end of the stick too.

    Your mileage may vary.

    Paul
    I'm so Liberal that I work at the Bill and Hillary Clinton Regional Airport!

  7. Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    I am not sure what you are arguing here. Are you saying that because I can refuse to take food stamps it is an entitlement? This doesn't make much sense.
    My point is , there is no law that requires anyone to take part in the entitlements but there is a law that requires you to take part in S.S.

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by ken grant View Post
    My point is , there is no law that requires anyone to take part in the entitlements but there is a law that requires you to take part in S.S.
    As I said, your argument doesn't make much sense. "Taking part" has two components: contributing and receiving. Both are mandatory for Social Security. Contributing is mandatory for food stamps or any other tax-payer funded entitlement, as paying taxes in mandatory. Again, are you saying that because I can refuse to receive food stamps it is an entitlement, whereas because I can not refuse to receive Social Security it is not an entitlement? This doesn't make much sense.

    Read the link Reba posted: Federal Safety Net | Entitlement Programs. It splits entitlement programs between non-contributory and contributory. I happen to disagree with this distinction as it makes non-contributory programs sound like Bernie Sanders' "free stuff". Nothing is for free. If you pay taxes, you are contributing to the "non-contributory" entitlement programs. However, the essence of it is this:

    Non-contributory Programs - Welfare

    Welfare Programs and Medicaid are non-contributory, meaning recipients are entitled to the benefits even though they have made no contributions to the programs through taxes.

    Contributory Programs

    While the programs are an entitlement available to all Americans in order to qualify for benefits recipients must have worked and made contributions to the programs by paying taxes.

  9. #28
    "While the programs are an entitlement available to all Americans in order to qualify for benefits recipients must have worked and made contributions to the programs by paying taxes"


    So in essence you are not entitled to S/S, unless you pay in, so how is it an entitlement. Whereas welfare and food stamps are entitlements just because you exist and are here.

  10. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by SR9 View Post
    "While the programs are an entitlement available to all Americans in order to qualify for benefits recipients must have worked and made contributions to the programs by paying taxes"

    So in essence you are not entitled to S/S, unless you pay in, so how is it an entitlement. Whereas welfare and food stamps are entitlements just because you exist and are here.
    You are entitled to food stamps, but may not be eligible to receive them:

    Non-contributory Programs - Welfare

    While the programs represent a legal right available to all Americans, the exercise of that right is fully dependent on the level of income of the individual of family. Only low-income Americans qualify for benefits.
    You are entitled to receive benefits, but your eligibility to do so depends.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast