Bill Introduced to Repeal the Gun-Free School Zones Act

Thread: Bill Introduced to Repeal the Gun-Free School Zones Act

Thumbs up Bill Introduced to Repeal the Gun-Free School Zones Act

Representative Thomas Massie, (R-KY), has introduced H.R.34 to repeal the Gun-Free School Zones Act (GFSZA) of 1990. The text of the bill is not available yet. From Press Release: U.S. Representative Massie Proposes Repeal of Federal Gun-Free School Zones Act:

U.S. Representative Massie Proposes Repeal of Federal Gun-Free School Zones Act

WASHINGTON, D.C. – On Monday, U.S. Representative Thomas Massie (R-KY) introduced H.R. 34, the Safe Students Act, which would repeal the Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990.

The bill, originally introduced by Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX) in 2007, repeals the Gun-Free School Zones Act (GFSZA) of 1990, which makes it “unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.” In 1995, the Supreme Court held the GFSZA unconstitutional, which prompted Congress to amend the bill in 1996. The Supreme Court has not ruled on the constitutionality of the amended Act.

“Gun-free school zones are ineffective. They make people less safe by inviting criminals into target-rich, no-risk environments,” said Massie. “Gun-free zones prevent law-abiding citizens from protecting themselves, and create vulnerable populations that are targeted by criminals.”

The Safe Students Act has garnered the support of three major gun organizations: National Association for Gun Rights, Gun Owners of America, and the National Rifle Association.

Representative Massie concluded: “A bigger federal government can’t solve this problem. Weapons bans and gun-free zones are unconstitutional. They do not and cannot prevent criminals or the mentally ill from committing acts of violence. But they often prevent victims of such violence from protecting themselves.”

As John Lott, author of The War on Guns: Arming Yourself Against Gun Control Lies, writes in The Columbus Dispatch, “Would you feel safer posting a sign announcing your home is a gun-free zone? Criminals don’t obey these signs. In fact, to criminals, gun-free zones look like easy targets. So why do we display these signs in public places?”

Cosponsors include: Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-TX), Rep. James Comer (R-KY), Rep. Jody Hice (R-GA), and Rep. Brian Babin (R-TX).

Representative Massie is Chairman of the Congressional Second Amendment Caucus in the 115th Congress.
    Let's see where this one goes. We certainly live in interesting times. What are the chances that this will remain a clean bill that just repeals the GFSZA? What are the chances that it will actually pass?

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    Let's see where this one goes. We certainly live in interesting times. What are the chances that this will remain a clean bill that just repeals the GFSZA? What are the chances that it will actually pass?
    I think the answer to both questions is most likely nil. Maybe if the Super-Duper Second-Amendment Warrior Trump can make a lot of positive noise about it and keep the positivity consistent without contradicting himself from one day to the next, we'll get a good surprise. My confidence-level for that happening is definitely nil though.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Cool, hopefully this will go through and maybe pave the way to gettin' rid of the gun free zones in other places as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Cool, hopefully this will go through and maybe pave the way to gettin' rid of the gun free zones in other places as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree, gun free zones throughout America need to be stopped, although I can still see them staying in court rooms and government buildings, they are just target rich environments for people who want to kill as many people as they can without any resistance.
    A survey was taken last year asking various criminals in jail if they stayed away from places that might have a person with a gun and almost 99% of them said yes, they didn't want to get shot or harmed while in the act of their criminal activities.
    Although you don't hear it very much, the number of criminal act's that are stopped by someone with a gun isn't talked about in the media.
    The only easy day was yesterday
    Dedicated to my brother in law who died
    doing what he loved being a Navy SEAL