Trumpsí extreme vetting - Page 11
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Trumpsí extreme vetting

So, those Syrian Orthodox Christians that were denied entry were reunited with their American relatives today.

Emotional reunion for Syrian Christian family caught in Trump's travel ban

I didn't know it was this big. The amicus (friend of the court) brief filed with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit was supported by 127 companies, including Elon Musk’s Tesla and SpaceX. Elon Musk, is a member of Trump's business advisory council. I guess the pro-business President Trump screwed the pooch on this one.

4. Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    I guess the pro-business President Trump screwed the pooch on this one.
    I think that he did. There were much better ways to enact his EO than what did happen. Trump is a narcissistic egomaniac. But still better than Hilary and any of the "status quo" Republicans.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Today's oral arguments of State of Washington, et. al. v. Donald J. Trump et. al.:

If anyone actually listened to the oral arguments, there is one comment made by the attorney for the of State of Washington that should become an interesting point of contention: Discovery.

The attorney basically argued that the motive for this EO was a campaign promise and not an actual imminent threat, which is a reasonable argument to make. He also argued that the public statements made during the campaign show prejudice against muslims in general to be the motivator for this temporary immigration ban. Now, when this suit goes forward, it will enter the discovery phase, under which the plaintiffs asks for any private communication that led up to the temporary immigration ban, including any related communication during the campaign. This phase would also include depositions of those involved.

7. What Trump said on the campaign trail means nothing. Only the language in the EO has any merit on the case.

8. Seems to me the judges are more interested in politics than the rule of laws that are on the books.

9. Quote Originally Posted by ken grant View Post
    Seems to me the judges are more interested in politics than the rule of laws that are on the books.
    Which is why they will be over turned by either the appellate court or the Supreme Court.

Legislation from the bench needs to be stopped.

The court has one job in a case like this. Determine whether or not the written order is within the law. Period. Anything else is political, not judicial.

Quote Originally Posted by thewitt View Post
    What Trump said on the campaign trail means nothing. Only the language in the EO has any merit on the case.
    The attorneys make the argument that the intent of the EO makes it unconstitutional. What presidential candidate Trump said on the campaign trail speaks to his intent. The attorneys allege that even if the EO is lawful when taken by its written words, which it is not by the way, its unconstitutional intent makes it unlawful. The attorneys cited the relevant court cases that serve as precedent.

Quote Originally Posted by ken grant View Post
    Seems to me the judges are more interested in politics than the rule of laws that are on the books.
    This entire case, including the EO, is about politics and nothing else, otherwise this wouldn't even be in the courts in the first place. Don't blame the judges for a poorly written EO that can be easily challenged in court.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast