People say alcohol and guns don't mix. What about drugs and guns? - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: People say alcohol and guns don't mix. What about drugs and guns?

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    I don't suppose you can explain why Lutherans use fermented wine for communion either, then, because you are Lutheran?

Jesus certainly could have changed water into grape juice at the wedding. But the Bible indicates that he did not. The Bible indicates that he created fermented wine - which was of much better quality than was previously served:

John 2
    10 And saith unto him, Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse: but thou hast kept the good wine until now.

The NIV states it even better:
    10 and said, “Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now.”

The Bible does not indicate whether the wine at the last supper was fermented or not. However, in my limited research it appears that the Jewish tradition is to imbibe fermented wine at Passover:

Passover Wine - The Royal Beverage - Passover

Why is it permitted to drink wine on Passover when it is fermented with yeast? - Passover

The idea that alcohol is inherently evil and prohibited by the Bible is simply not substantiated by the Bible itself. The Bible warns against consumption in excess. Just like the Bible does not prohibit a person from being rich - but there are cautions in the Bible regarding lust for money and the dangers that being rich may pose to a person.
    Jesus was a wine maker. Jesus drank wine at many festive occasions or so we are told by the Greek New Testament. Jesus drank fermented wine at his 3 Passovers in accordance with Mosaic Law.

Those religions like the Baptists and the Mormans who despise alcoholic wine might as well be despising Jesus himself.

Most of this anti alcohol doctrine is simply a old vestige of Prohibition in the 1920's. It is foolishness -- I agree with NavyLCR on this.

But many religions have a lot of foolishness woven into them over the past several centuries and/or millennia.

Anyone who wants to fellowship with a particular religion will need to be tolerant of their particular foolishness.

However providing further foolish arguments to defend that foolishness is even more foolish -- it is gullible and fanatical.

Classic example: muslim fanatics would want to kill you because (1) you are an infidel and (2) they get 72 virgins in their Valhalla for doing so.

Foolishness.

One of the general shooting range principles is NOT to be under any kind of influence of alcohol while using the range to shoot.

That's where the "people say ..." part of this O/P comes from. It is not a parable as such, it is a shooting range rule.

All shooting "rules" so to speak total about two dozen when you include the range rules, which I have divided up into 3 groups of 5, 5, and 10 for simplicity of remembrance.

I also have drinking rules. If you are going to drink alcohol then you need rules for it otherwise you run a very high risk of becoming alcoholic.

I grew up with alcoholics and know a lot about them and about alcoholism as a result.

When I got my CFP in the mail I added one new drinking rule to my list of drinking rules. It goes, "never drink more than two drinks when you are carrying a firearm with you." Since I ALWAYS carry my firearm with me 24/7/365 even in church (remember Dylann Roof ?!), therefore I now only drink a maximum of 2 drinks -- usually beers since I can make 2 beers last longer than 2 glasses of wine or 2 shots of gin or tequila.

As for dope, I don't do dope. Never have. Never will. While it is a free Country and also some states like Colorado and California now permit cannabis personal recreational use, dope like this does not interest me. Beer and wine and gin and tequila are good enough for me. I don't need dope.

Should you use dope before you go to the shooting range -- seems like a dumb and dangerous idea to me.

Should you use dope if your state will yank your CFP if they catch you -- seems like a dumb and dangerous idea to me too.

Should you use dope at all -- also seems like a really dumb idea to me. Kids learn to use dope from their friends -- peer pressure.

But kids are normally very stupid.

Just remember the song lyrics -- the pusher does not care if you live or if you die.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Drinking alcohol is like putting a thief in your mouth to steal your brains.
    But even your boy JC turn water into wine, or so the fable goes.....
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

Quote Originally Posted by HKS View Post
    If you think Jesus or his apostles ran out and squeezed a bunch of grapes for their beverage at the Passover supper on Holy Thursday the night of his betrayal by Judas Iscariot, I think this kind of thinking is infantile, illogical, and childish.

But it is a free country and therefore any kind of thinking is A-OK.
    No, I don't think any such thing.

If Jesus could create the universe in six days, make water into wine, and feed 5,000 people with a little bit of fish and bread, then providing some miraculous wine for supper would be nothing too hard to do. He didn't have to squeeze the grapes when He made the water into wine, so why should He need to do that for His last supper?

6. Quote Originally Posted by HKS View Post
    One of the general shooting range principles is NOT to be under any kind of influence of alcohol while using the range to shoot.

That's where the "people say ..." part of this O/P comes from. It is not a parable as such, it is a shooting range rule.
    I was referring to the people who say no alcohol consumption at all when carrying a firearm in everyday life.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    I was referring to the people who say no alcohol consumption at all when carrying a firearm in everyday life.
    That would be radical.

Like I said, 2 drinks or less do not affect me. Especially when I drink them really slow over 2 hours. And also with food.

3 do, and 4 certainly do.

Everyone who is a good shot and who has the will to shoot a perp should carry concealed.

Everyone should know their alcohol limits.

You don't need to be a fanatical Baptist or Morman and avoid all alcohol to be right.

Quote Originally Posted by Reba View Post
    No, I don't think any such thing.

If Jesus could create the universe in six days, make water into wine, and feed 5,000 people with a little bit of fish and bread, then providing some miraculous wine for supper would be nothing too hard to do. He didn't have to squeeze the grapes when He made the water into wine, so why should He need to do that for His last supper?
    He ate roasted lamb.

He had baked wheat cakes with it.

There was no yeast in the cakes.

He had bitter herbs for vegies.

He drank red wine with 5% to 10% alcohol content in it.

Jesus was not a 24/7/365 magician. He was an ordinary cool dude most of the time.

It was his last supper for the next 3 days until he could grab a bite of cold fish on Sunday nite after the ordeal.

He did not use magic at his last supper. There were not 5000 guests just about a dozen is all.

He ate roasted lamb.

He had baked wheat cakes with it.

There was no yeast in the cakes.

He had bitter herbs for vegies.

He drank red wine with 5% to 10% alcohol content in it.

Jesus was not a 24/7/365 magician. He was an ordinary cool dude most of the time.
    You are correct that Jesus was not a magician. Jesus Christ was (and is) God, and He also lived for a brief time as an ordinary man.

It was his last supper for the next 3 days until he could grab a bite of cold fish on Sunday nite after the ordeal.
    Torture, crucifixion and death are more than an ordeal but even that was overcome by His victorious resurrection.

He did not use magic at his last supper. There were not 5000 guests just about a dozen is all.
    Jesus never used magic for anything.

The feeding of the 5,000 was not the same event as the last supper.

Five loaves and two fishes feed 5,000+ people: Matthew 14:13-21.

There was also:

Seven loaves and a few small fishes feed 4,000+ people: Mark 8:1-9.

Quote Originally Posted by Reba View Post
    You are correct that Jesus was not a magician. Jesus Christ was (and is) God, and He also lived for a brief time as an ordinary man.

Torture, crucifixion and death are more than an ordeal but even that was overcome by His victorious resurrection.

Jesus never used magic for anything.

The feeding of the 5,000 was not the same event as the last supper.

Five loaves and two fishes feed 5,000+ people: Matthew 14:13-21.

There was also:

Seven loaves and a few small fishes feed 4,000+ people: Mark 8:1-9.
    The Protestants use English translations that mistranslate "God" for "Jesus".

The original Greek New Testament does not call "Jesus" "God" anywhere.

The Greek word for "God" (THEOS) is reserved for the Father of Jesus in the Greek New Testament.

You have been taught a lot of myths by the Protestants.

FYI.

The Protestants use English translations that mistranslate "God" for "Jesus".

The original Greek New Testament does not call "Jesus" "God" anywhere.

The Greek word for "God" (THEOS) is reserved for the Father of Jesus in the Greek New Testament.

You have been taught a lot of myths by the Protestants.

FYI.
    But everyone is supposed to take your word on what you post?

Yet, you do say that God is the father of Jesus, making Him the only begotten Son of God?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast