We are letting our children down - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: We are letting our children down

Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    From well meaning parents the first 'religions training' often starts before potty training.
    Yes, it does. We taught our children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren little songs like "Jesus Loves Me" and read religious children's books to them. We make no excuse for that and are proud of the outcome.

XD, you seem afraid of religion. In post #9 you said, 'I'm worried more about the earth being destroyed by aliens from outer space, which by the way is more likely threat than some imaginary sky daddy's temper tantrum.' If you assume aliens do exist, where did they come from? The God of all creation made us all, even if it was 450,000,000 years ago, and He is far from imaginary. If you weren't afraid of God's existence you wouldn't be trying to convince others to the contrary. You profess to be an atheist and that is OK with me. Your choice, and I don't feel the necessity to constantly try to belittle you for your stance. As a matter of fact, if it wasn't for you demeaning religion all the time, you wouldn't hear us responding to you. It seems to be a challenge to you to triumph over religion and the mere mention of it infuriates you. Sorry, that will never happen. And yes, we did teach our children about God. That was as important to them as learning their ABCs. In the past you have alluded to science being the answer to all things but, in this case, even scientists tend to disagree with that premise. But, we always have Pascal's Wager to explain things.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    Yes, it does. We taught our children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren little songs like "Jesus Loves Me" and read religious children's books to them. We make no excuse for that and are proud of the outcome.

XD, you seem afraid of religion. In post #9 you said, 'I'm worried more about the earth being destroyed by aliens from outer space, which by the way is more likely threat than some imaginary sky daddy's temper tantrum.' If you assume aliens do exist, where did they come from? The God of all creation made us all, even if it was 450,000,000 years ago, and He is far from imaginary. If you weren't afraid of God's existence you wouldn't be trying to convince others to the contrary. You profess to be an atheist and that is OK with me. Your choice, and I don't feel the necessity to constantly try to belittle you for your stance. As a matter of fact, if it wasn't for you demeaning religion all the time, you wouldn't hear us responding to you. It seems to be a challenge to you to triumph over religion and the mere mention of it infuriates you. Sorry, that will never happen. And yes, we did teach our children about God. That was as important to them as learning their ABCs. In the past you have alluded to science being the answer to all things but, in this case, even scientists tend to disagree with that premise. But, we always have Pascal's Wager to explain things.
    All gods are purely the creation of those that believe in them, not just your special one, but all of them. Besides why don't you believe in any of the others, are you 99.99% atheist?

We are here, and aliens if they exist are there, through the same process, evolution. Science is rapidly learning that there are an untold number of worlds where the conditions would allow evolution to occur and self-aware or intelligent life to develop.

Clearly your life long religious programming doesn't even allow you to comprehend such as it has imprisoned your mind in a tomb of willful ignorance.

So yes, while vastly remote, there is a the possibility mankind may encounter aliens from another world someday, not so much for the gods from mans imagination, yet present the greatest danger to mankind's future, as we see evidence of on the evening news every night.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123