Gov. Brown Wants $5.2 Billion Tax Increase to Fix Transportation

Thread: Gov. Brown Wants $5.2 Billion Tax Increase to Fix Transportation

By: Chriss W. Street
    Gov. Jerry Brown wants the Democrat-controlled state legislature to hike unpopular registration fees and fuel excise taxes by $5.2 billion a year to fix transportation over the next decade — after years of diverting $1.5 billion in transportation infrastructure taxes to subsidize California’s General Fund bond payments.
    Despite Californians paying the highest sales and income taxes and the second highest gas taxes in the nation, Gov. Brown wants to raise the excise tax on distributors of fuel by 67 percent — from $.18 per gallon to $.30 per gallon — and the annual vehicle registration fees by $25 for the next decade, according to SFGate. The equivalent cost per gallon of the combined taxes would jump to over $.88.
    Commercial vehicles would be hit harder, with the excise taxes on diesel spiking from 20 cents to 36 cents a gallon, and diesel sales tax jumping from 1.75 percent to 5.75 percent. Beginning in 2020, even hybrid and electric cars would be socked with $100 a year fee.
    California’s transportation infrastructure consists of 50,000 lane miles of highways; 9 toll bridges; 12,000 other bridges,;11 million square feet of Department of Transportation offices; maintenance shops; 170 Department of Motor Vehicles offices; and 102 California Highway Patrol offices; according to the non-partisan Legislative Analyst’s Office.
    Collection of gas and excise taxes and registration used to pay for all transportation spending. But after the flood of cash from voters approving the $20 billion Proposition 1B transportation bond in 2006 and the $10 billion Proposition 1A high–speed rail bond in 2008, the legislature started diverting about 18 percent of transportation revenues each year to fund un-related state general obligation bond interest and principal payments.
    The National Transportation Group, which tracks national and local transportation spending, estimates that California’s abysmal infrastructure spending now costs state drivers an extra $56.3 billion a year in congestion, safety, and vehicle operating costs.
    Brown claims the new spending bill will only costs each Californian in the state about $10 a month, but that works out to about $500 a month for a family of four. Under state law, to pass such regressive and very unpopular taxes, Brown will need every vote from the state’s two-thirds Democrat majorities in both legislative branches.
    Read More:
    Gov. Brown Wants $5.2 Billion Tax Increase to Fix Transportation Â* - Breitbart
    My Thoughts:
    How many billions have been misappropriated to fund illegal aliens?
    The only easy day was yesterday
    Dedicated to my brother in law who died
    doing what he loved being a Navy SEAL

3. Yeah, .2 Billion for the repairs and 5.0 Billion to pay off his cronies.
    Proud Member of the Vast Right Wing Conspiricy

Californians have intimated they want to secede from the Union so let them go and make up the necessary money from those still living out there. That might create a mass exodus from Kalifornia so what will they do then? Use the illegals for forced labor on the many projects they dream up in LaLaLand? Why not split up the state into two separate states?

We lived in Calif. for 11 years while I was in the Navy, it sure wasn't this bad when we lived there. Moonbeam has to be replaced ASAP.
    The only easy day was yesterday
    Dedicated to my brother in law who died
    doing what he loved being a Navy SEAL

Give him ***** and shove him in it!

7. Quote Originally Posted by SR9 View Post
    Give him ***** and shove him in it!
    I'm surprised that you would speak of your hero like this..
    Isn't he related to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm all for California taxing California to fix California roads. I have never been to, or will I ever go to California, and see no reason why I should fix their roads.

Maybe he should ask Michael Bloomberg for the money.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws