Jerusalem...A Burdensome Stone For All People - Page 31
Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast

Thread: Jerusalem...A Burdensome Stone For All People

Quote Originally Posted by Stan45 View Post
    Psalms 90:10 Our days may come to seventy years, or eighty, if our strength endures;
    You added the word "generation"
    Yes, I did, so that those ignorant of Scripture would know that Psalms 90:10 was referencing a generation.
    GOD HATES RELIGION
    ~ Religious Spirit Crucified Christ ~

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Yes, I did, so that those ignorant of Scripture would know that Psalms 90:10 was referencing a generation.

"How long is a generation in the Bible?"

Answer: The Bible uses the term generation in some different ways. Normally, the word generation refers to all the people living at the same time—i.e., the word in the Bible has the same definition that we are used to in modern usage when we speak of Generation X or the Millennial Generation. Normally, a generation is about thirty years; one generation raises the next. However, in some biblical contexts, a “generation” can refer to a longer age or a group of people spanning a longer period of time.

In Genesis 2:4, “generations of the heavens and the earth” (ESV) seems to include all of human history—the era begun by the creation of the universe. In Exodus 1:6 the “generation” who die refers to everyone who had been alive during the time that Joseph and his brothers lived. In Numbers 32:13, the “generation” is limited to Israelites—the group of them, twenty years old and older, at the time of their refusal to enter the Promised Land. That one generation was doomed to wander in the wilderness until they all died, except for Joshua and Caleb. When the plural word generations occurs in the Bible, as in Isaiah 51:9 and Acts 14:16, it refers to an indefinite period of time—many successive generations.

The original languages of the Bible used at least three different words that are translated “generation” in English. The Hebrew dor can refer to a normal, physical generation, as in Exodus 1:6. But it can also be used metaphorically to identify people of a distinguishable type. For example, Psalm 78:8 says, “They should not be like their fathers, a stubborn and rebellious generation, a generation whose heart was not steadfast, whose spirit was not faithful to God” (ESV). Here the word dor is used twice to refer to a group of people through a long period of time who were characterized by rebellion and sin. The “generation” in Psalm 78:8 is not limited to a normal thirty-year period but stretches back through the history of Israel to include all who were stubborn against God.

The other Hebrew word we translate as “generation” is toledot. This doesn’t refer to the character of a group or an age but to how that age was generated. So the “generations of the heavens and the earth” in Genesis 2:4 refers to the time periods that started with creation and continued organically from that point. The “generations of Adam” in Genesis 5:1 means the civilization of people that began with him. The next “generation” is that of Noah, to include the flood and the civilizations that came after. Shem’s influence is marked as a “generation” as he was the father of the Semites (Genesis 11:10). And Terah’s, because he left Ur with his son Abram (Genesis 11:27). Later, Ishmael (Genesis 25:12) and Isaac (Genesis 25:19) were the source of new generations. In each case, the men either experienced or caused a significant event that changed the course of their family line. They generated a culture-altering event.

In the New Testament, the Greek genea is the source of generation. It is similar to both Hebrew words. Literally, it means “fathered, birthed, nativity,” referring to a genetic line. But it can be used as both the time frame characterized by a specific cultural attitude and the people in that culture. In Matthew 1:17, the generations are marked off by significant events and people—Abraham, David, Babylonian captivity—like the Hebrew toledot. But when Jesus calls the Pharisees and scribes a “wicked and perverse generation,” He is referring to the culture that they lived in and encouraged (Matthew 12:39; see also Matthew 17:17 and Acts 2:40).

So, when we read “generation” in the Bible, we have to consider the context. Usually, a generation in the Bible is roughly thirty years long or the people living during that time, the same as what we understand a generation to be in everyday talk. But there are times when generation is used poetically to refer to a class of people demarked by something other than age.
    “An armed society is a polite society.”

The Scriptures support a 70 to 80 year life span for the past 3000 years. The evidence for a 70 to 80 year life span was present during the 10th century B.C., during the reign of King David (c.1010-970). As David approached the end of his life, he was considered to be an old man by those living at that time. The Scriptures reveal that David served his generation and was seventy years old when he died (1 Chr 23:1; 2 Sam 5:4; 1 Kgs 2:10; Act 13:36). The most significant declaration in the Bible for the life span of man is given in Psalm 90. The Psalmist states that the life span of man is seventy years, with eighty years being the upper range of normal life expectancy.

Because the length of David's generation, Christ's generation, and the average life span of those living today in Israel is between 70 and 80 years (a 3000-year span), it's reasonable to conclude that the generation Christ was talking about in the parable of the Fig tree will also be 70 to 80 years in length. Because the Fig tree in this parable represents the nation of Israel, and the generation that is described has a life span of 70 to 80 years, then recent events such as the rebirth of Israel as a nation (Isa 66:8), the Jerusalem controversy in the "end times" (Zech 12:1-3), preparations for rebuilding the Jewish Temple (Rev 11:1,2), and the ongoing negotiations for a peace treaty between Israel and the Palestinians (Dan 9:27) all indicate that the generation Christ was talking about has already been born, and the return of Jesus Christ to establish His reign for a thousand years is close at hand.
    GOD HATES RELIGION

Quote Originally Posted by S&W29 View Post
    Every time God extends his hand of protection the nation of Israel screws it up....and there are plenty of strings attached....the primary one being worship God and keep covenant with him...so again your statement is patently false on its face....wanna try again to show how they keep his covenant when the violate his laws and spit on the spirit of his mercy ?
    I'm not going to say that you're stupid just because you have to have everything explained to you multiple times. No, instead I'll be nice and explain it again...Abraham was told by God that he and the Jewish people would become a Covenant people and reap the promises of the Abrahamic Covenant simply because God said so – no strings attached! Thus the Abrahamic Covenant is eternal and unconditional. The Jews didn't make a covenant with God, God made the covenant with the Jews/ISRAEL. It doesn't matter if the Jews violate any laws, they are not bound by any covenant because they didn't make any covenant. Only God made a covenant with the Jews, and I repeat it again just for you... Regardless of God’s timetable for the fulfillment of the entire Abrahamic Covenant, it remains foundational to God’s dealing with Israel , as God chose to make it eternal and UNCONDITIONAL.

And something else just for you, ISRAEL is invincible. There's coming a time when they will seem anything but invincible. The Tribulation –the time of Jacob’s trouble (Jeremiah 30:7)–will be the worst time ever for Israel. Satan, through his tyrant Antichrist, will wreak more devastation on the Jewish race and the nation Israel than have all the tyrants down through human history. But, in the truest sense of the word invincible, the Jewish race–the nation Israel–is the one national entity God-guaranteed to never perish from the earth. “This is what the Lord says, ‘He who appoints the sun to shine by day, Who decrees the moon and stars to shine by night, Who stirs up the sea so that its waves roar — the Lord Almighty is His Name; Only if these ordinances vanish from My sight,’ declares the Lord, ‘will the descendants of Israel ever cease to be a nation before Me.’” (Jeremiah 31:35-36)
    GOD HATES RELIGION

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    I'm not going to say that you're stupid just because you have to have everything explained to you multiple times. No, instead I'll be nice and explain it again...Abraham was told by God that he and the Jewish people would become a Covenant people and reap the promises of the Abrahamic Covenant simply because God said so – no strings attached! Thus the Abrahamic Covenant is eternal and unconditional. The Jews didn't make a covenant with God, God made the covenant with the Jews/ISRAEL. It doesn't matter if the Jews violate any laws, they are not bound by any covenant because they didn't make any covenant. Only God made a covenant with the Jews, and I repeat it again just for you... Regardless of God’s timetable for the fulfillment of the entire Abrahamic Covenant, it remains foundational to God’s dealing with Israel , as God chose to make it eternal and UNCONDITIONAL.

And something else just for you, ISRAEL is invincible. There's coming a time when they will seem anything but invincible. The Tribulation –the time of Jacob’s trouble (Jeremiah 30:7)–will be the worst time ever for Israel. Satan, through his tyrant Antichrist, will wreak more devastation on the Jewish race and the nation Israel than have all the tyrants down through human history. But, in the truest sense of the word invincible, the Jewish race–the nation Israel–is the one national entity God-guaranteed to never perish from the earth. “This is what the Lord says, ‘He who appoints the sun to shine by day, Who decrees the moon and stars to shine by night, Who stirs up the sea so that its waves roar — the Lord Almighty is His Name; Only if these ordinances vanish from My sight,’ declares the Lord, ‘will the descendants of Israel ever cease to be a nation before Me.’” (Jeremiah 31:35-36)
    If the Covenant is unconditional explain Genesis 17, there seems to be some conditions in the fine print. In short that condition is obedience, obedience to God & obedience to his laws.

So we get back to the core matter of the issue which is the fact that the Abrahamic covenant is conditional. As Jewish history is replete with examples that when the nation of Israel grew disobedient, God withdrew his protection. In fact your whole theology is also based on obedience to God...all be it your twisted legalistic interpretation.

So lets get back to the central question. If I accept your assertion that abortion is murder, and murder is against abrahamic law (okay Mosaic law)...how is legal abortion compatible with the nation of Israel staying obedient to God?

So your diatribe on an unconditional covenant is not even close to being accurate as I can cite at least one qualifier...after all Abraham did circumcise himself at 99 in order to show his acceptance of God's covenant, & God said any uncircumcise Jew would be cut off from him.

As you so accurately pointed out, I'm still waiting.

Sent from my LG-H910 using USA Carry mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by S&W29 View Post
    If the Covenant is unconditional explain Genesis 17, there seems to be some conditions in the fine print. In short that condition is obedience, obedience to God & obedience to his laws.

So we get back to the core matter of the issue which is the fact that the Abrahamic covenant is conditional. As Jewish history is replete with examples that when the nation of Israel grew disobedient, God withdrew his protection. In fact your whole theology is also based on obedience to God...all be it your twisted legalistic interpretation.

So lets get back to the central question. If I accept your assertion that abortion is murder, and murder is against abrahamic law (okay Mosaic law)...how is legal abortion compatible with the nation of Israel staying obedient to God?

So your diatribe on an unconditional covenant is not even close to being accurate as I can cite at least one qualifier...after all Abraham did circumcise himself at 99 in order to show his acceptance of God's covenant, & God said any uncircumcise Jew would be cut off from him.

As you so accurately pointed out, I'm still waiting.

Sent from my LG-H910 using USA Carry mobile app
    In answer to your question concerning the legality of abortion, I think God's law trumps that of man. Abortion has become legal only because those of a degenerate generation have said so in defiance of God. Since this is one of the fundamental beliefs by liberals, that abortion is their right to choose, what about the fetus in the woman's womb? It is a living soul....where is it's choice in life or death?

Some Resource Library Articles Is God's Covenant Conditional?

Is God's Covenant Conditional?
    Series: Question Box

by Rick Phillips June 30, 2002

Tonight’s Question Box asks, “Is God’s covenant conditional?” This is an important theological question with tremendous personal and practical significance.

The question recognizes that God’s covenants contain both unconditional and conditional elements. The Bible begins with the covenant between God and our first father, Adam, in the Garden. This was a conditional covenant, requiring obedience and specifying punishment for disobedience. God told Adam, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die” (Gen. 2:15). This is referred to as the Covenant of Works. Adam broke this covenant, meriting God’s curse of death and alienation on our race.

After man fell into sin, the breech could only be repaired from God’s side, the story of which is the subject matter of the Bible. The Covenant of Works having led to sin and condemnation, God provided the Covenant of Grace, which was first revealed to Abraham and which centers on the saving work of Jesus Christ.

God called Abraham to leave his home and go to the Promised Land. But God also gave Abraham sweeping, unconditional promises. Genesis 12:2-3 lists 7 “I will’s” that God unilaterally guaranteed: “I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.” God later gave conditions to Abraham, particularly the rite of circumcision. But the promises came first. God staked his own reputation on his promises to Abraham coming true, and the conditions came after these promises and rested upon them.

God’s covenant with Abraham is regarded as generally unconditional, but it was followed by another covenant that was strongly conditional.
    This was the Mosaic or Old Covenant given to Israel in the Exodus. This was an extension of God’s covenant to Abraham; God delivered Israel and gave the Law in order to be faithful to his promises to Abraham.

The conditions of this covenant are well-known. God gave the Ten Commandments, and the people ominously said, “We will do everything the LORD has said” (Ex. 19:8). Deuteronomy 28:1-2, 15 records Moses saying, “If you fully obey the LORD your God and carefully follow all his commands… all these blessings will come upon you… However, if you do not obey the LORD your God and do not carefully follow all his commands and decrees… all these curses will come upon you” (Dt. 28:1-2, 15). That is a clear statement of conditions. If Israel did not obey God’s Law they would not remain a people before him. And yet, we must realize that this did not nullify the unconditional promises God had given to Abraham regarding his descendants. Nor should we forget that even the Old Covenant began with unconditional promises that God gave through Moses. God did not send Moses to the mud pits of Egypt to say that he would deliver them if they kept his Law. No, first he gave them promises, then he delivered them, and only then did he give the conditions of the Law. Before the conditions were given at Mt. Sinai, God gave his “I will’s” to Israel as to Abraham before: “I will free you… I will redeem you… I will take you as my own people, and I will be your God” (Ex. 6:6-8). Even if those promises relied on the conditions being met, God unconditionally promised it would happen.

Next comes the New Covenant, first promised through Jeremiah and accomplished by the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Again, we start with divine “I will’s”: “I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah… I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people. For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more” (Jer. 31:31-34). Those are unconditional statements, and yet the conditions followed surely enough. Jesus himself stipulated the condition of saving faith in him. John 3:16-18 says, “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish... but whoever does not believe stands condemned.”

What we call the Covenant of Grace is that way of salvation that God unfolded first to Abraham, then to Israel, and finally to us in Christ. It rests on unconditional promises but includes conditions. So, yes, God’s covenant is conditional. If anyone says God accepts you unconditionally, therefore, they are wrong. But the condition—our response of faith—rests upon and relies upon God’s prior unconditional promise.

Let’s go back to the beginning, where God unconditionally promised Abraham so many physical and spiritual descendants. That was an unconditional promise on which God staked his own reputation! But for it to come true, Abraham would have to be faithful in keeping circumcision, Israel would have to obey the Law, and we would have to believe on Christ. God allowed his faithfulness to depend on human obedience! God made promises that could only be kept if his conditions were met, knowing that we would fail to keep those conditions.

How can this be, you ask? The answer is that while sinful men and women are not able to keep the conditions, God is able to supply them. God not only mandates the conditions but he himself supplies their fulfillment.

The record of the Bible is one of human failure; we think especially of Israel’s failure to keep the Law. For Abraham to have the offspring God promised, those offspring had to keep the conditions, which they did not. But here is how God himself fulfilled the condition of obedience—by sending his own Son as the true Israel to keep the Law in our place. Jesus fulfilled the covenant condition of obedience for us. He fulfilled the Covenant of Works Adam broke; he fulfilled the Law that Israel transgressed. Now he offers to credit his obedient righteousness to our account, under the Covenant of Grace, if only we will believe on him. Faith, now, is the condition of our salvation. And this also is fulfilled by God as the Spirit gives his people the saving gift of faith (Eph. 2:8-9). To fulfill his unconditional promises, God satisfies his own conditions through the work of Jesus Christ and his effectual grace ministered by the Holy Spirit. In this way, God has a people who truly love and serve him while all the glory belongs to him alone.

The Bible begins with Adam failing the Covenant of Works so that he is cast out from the Garden and the Tree of Life. At the end of the Bible, Jesus speaks of that covenant’s fulfillment and that blessing being regained. Revelation 2:7 says, “To him who overcomes, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life.” And, of course, it is in him that his people do overcome. First, he fulfills the Covenant of Works for us, and then he works faith in us so that we may be saved by the Covenant of Grace. So sure is Jesus of this condition being fulfilled, that he says unconditionally to all who trust in him, “Never will I leave; never will I forsake you,” and we can say in return, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid” (Heb. 13:5-6).

https://www.tenth.org/resource-libra...nt-conditional

You can find this story in Genesis Chapter 15, verses 1-21 (but I encourage you to read a few chapters before and after as well to get it in context). In a nutshell, God reiterated His promise to Abram (for the third time) then Abram asked for a sign. So God gave Him one. First God told Abram to cut some animals in half then He put Abram to sleep and talked to him about his future. Finally God appeared as a smoking fire and passed between the pieces of the animals. This section of Scripture describes a common practice in those days called ‘cutting a covenant.’ Basically, when two people wanted to make a pact, a deal, or a bargain with each other, they would cut some animals into pieces and lay them apart on the ground. A space was left between them forming a sort of aisle. Each party would then state their oath aloud as they walked down the aisle. The meaning of the ritual was simple: ‘May I be cut into pieces like these animals if I don’t keep my promise as I’ve stated in this agreement (covenant).’ Normally there were commitments made on both sides, but not in Genesis 15.

This covenant was between God and Abram (Abram’s descendants are also mentioned) but only God made the commitment of death in case of a breach of contract. The story of God walking through the torn carcasses of animals is a strange one no doubt. But it speaks one of the most beautiful truths in the Bible. God always keeps his promises. God didn’t need Abram to walk through the pieces or make a bargain with Him in order for God to keep His promise. Abram only needed to know that God always keeps his promises, period. Again, ISRAEL is invincible. In the truest sense of the word invincible, the Jewish race–the nation Israel–is the one national entity God-guaranteed to never perish from the earth.

“This is what the Lord says, ‘He who appoints the sun to shine by day, Who decrees the moon and stars to shine by night, Who stirs up the sea so that its waves roar — the Lord Almighty is His Name; Only if these ordinances vanish from My sight,’ declares the Lord, ‘will the descendants of Israel ever cease to be a nation before Me."(Jeremiah 31:35-36)
    GOD HATES RELIGION

ISRAEL...God's prophetic timepiece.

Liberman: Abbas trying to force Hamas into conflict with Israel
    https://www.timesofisrael.com/liberm...t-with-israel/

Israeli jets strike Hamas post in Gaza, hours after bomb explodes on border
    https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel...des-on-border/

IDF destroys two Gaza tunnels amid rising border tensions
    https://www.timesofisrael.com/idf-se...rity-incident/
    GOD HATES RELIGION

Turkey today predictably called for the entire Islamic world to rise up against the sovereign nation of Israel and ‘take Jerusalem’ (Zechariah 12:3 - Zechariah 12:9), what the Muslims call Al Quds. In an ironic twist, however, as Turkey called Israel defending themselves at the Gaza border fence ‘genocide’, Hamas admitted today that 50 of the 62 people shot by the Israeli army were Hamas terrorists. So that would be a “no” to claims of genocide, and a huge ‘YOU BET’CHA’ to the fact that Israel did exactly the right thing in showing restraint while defending their border and their people at the same time.

PressTV-Turkey urges Islamic world to unite against Israel

Hamas official: 50 of the 62 Gazans killed in border violence were our members
    https://www.timesofisrael.com/hamas-...-were-members/
    GOD HATES RELIGION

Any Day Now

Christ said...the re-birth of ISRAEL 1948 (Matthew 24:32-35) would mark the beginning of the Last Generation, the generation that would experience ALL of End Times Prophecy fulfilled. The time clock of Bible prophecy is Israel in general and Jerusalem in particular. We are already 70 years into this Last Generation (1948-2028), therefor, if one believes the Words of Christ, 3/4 of our worlds population will die and the world as we know it will cease to exist within the next 10 years. The stage is presently being set for Zechariah 12:3 - Zechariah 12:9 - War of Psalm 83/Isaiah 17 - Ezekiel 38-39 (Gog-Magog), in that order. If you want to see exactly where God is going to move next, keep your eyes on Jerusalem.

“And in that day I will set about to destroy ALL the nations that come against Jerusalem.”
    GOD HATES RELIGION

Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 LastLast