Dave Picks Gillibrand As Liberal Dems Howl

Thread: Dave Picks Gillibrand As Liberal Dems Howl

Dave Picks Gillibrand As Liberal Dems Howl

Gov. Paterson, defying the liberal wing of his Democratic Party, has chosen little-known, NRA-backed, upstate Congresswoman Kirsten Gillibrand to succeed Hillary Rodham Clinton as New York's junior senator, it was learned last night.

The surprising - and, for many Democrats shocking - decision to pick the conservative Gillibrand, 42, from Hudson in Columbia County, was disclosed by the governor in calls to party officials and some members of the state's congressional delegation, many of whom said they were unhappy with the selection, sources said.

MORE: Nasty Caroline War

MORE: Kirsten Has Big Goals - But Little Experience

GERSHMAN: Oh, The Shame: Blago Did Better

Gillibrand, a mother of two occasionally resented by colleagues for being an aggressive self-promoter, was strongly backed for the post by Charles Schumer, the state's senior senator, who said a woman and an upstater was needed on next year's ticket.

Paterson's decision - to be officially announced today at noon at the state Capitol - was made just 24 hours after Caroline Kennedy took herself out of the running.

The decision was a major rebuff to some of the state's best-known Democrats interested in Clinton's seat, including Attorney General and former federal Housing Secretary Andrew Cuomo, for whom Gillibrand once worked as a junior lawyer; Nassau County Executive Tom Suozzi, and Reps. Carolyn Maloney of Manhattan and Steve Israel of Suffolk County.

Sources said "at least five" members of the state's Democratic congressional delegation called Paterson to protest the possibility of Gillibrand's selection. One, Rep. Carolyn McCarthy of Nassau County, even threatened a primary challenge. Gillibrand faces a special election in 2010.

Democratic activists predicted that Cuomo, son of former Gov. Mario Cuomo, would also "seriously consider" challenging Paterson in a primary next year.

Calls were made from Paterson's office to leading Democrats and Republicans throughout the afternoon, inviting them to a special meeting room attached to the Capitol for "a major announcement."

The inclusion of several prominent Republicans among the invitees was an early sign to insiders that Paterson planned to pick an upstate Democrat.

Gillibrand has won two successive elections in one of the heaviest GOP districts in the state, first upsetting incumbent Rep. John Sweeney and, in November, defeating former state GOP chairman and multimillionaire Alexander Treadwell, in one of the most expensive races in the nation.

Liberal Democrats have been wary of her because she ran for re-election with the backing of the National Rifle Association, opposed the federal TARP program to rescue banks, and has been less than enthusiastic about gay marriage.

By FREDRIC U. DICKER State Editor
    [email protected]

ONE MORE FOR US!
    Last edited by lukem; 01-23-2009 at 09:39 AM.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

This is good news. It is also the first time I can recall an appointment to replace a Senator / Representative who moved into an Executive Branch job was an improvement.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

at least we have one more person to object to the 2a violations that the incoming regimes plans
    M1 Garand, Kimber Custom Carry II, Ruger P-95, Mossberg Persuader 12ga., Charles Daly 12ga(My gobbler gobbler)
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/10/311.html

Yeah, the Manhattan and Long Island crowd sure aren't happy but I'd say it's a win for the rest of the state who don't deserve to be subject to the whims of the folks living in Manhattan which is usually the case. The last thing the country needs is another Kennedy soaking up taxpayer money.

Great news for NY for sure - but I'm shocked Schumer was a strong supporter of this appointment.

He's about as anti-gun as you get, and she's very pro 2A...
    "There is no consitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered by criminals or madmen." (7th Cir. 1982, Bowers v. DeVito)Stay safe, and stay trained.www.sazsatt.com

I'm loving it and I live in VA. Good for New Yorkers there is hope, just maybe.

She sounds like a good Democrat, which is usually a contradiction of terms!!!

Reap the Vision...
    ...Mike

9. News

mbass, I thought that was an oxymoron. lol
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

Good for her !!! I'd support her if I was a resident in her state ......

oxymoron - good democrat