National Right-To-Carry Reciprocity Bill Introduced - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: National Right-To-Carry Reciprocity Bill Introduced

Definitely make the call

I will definitely make the call to my Senators, Ted Kennedy and John Kerry. It won't amount to a hill of beans. However, I always call and ask them to support a littany of things I know they wouldn't support whatsover.

I am glad to see that we still have representatives that are willing to put forth drafts that are right and good, even if they know it can't possibly pass. They are standing up and letting us all know that we still have good people in government. If you do write your representatives in support of this bill, please also write to the drafters and thank them for putting it forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    This is a good tool GovTrack.us: Tracking the U.S. Congress
    Just type the bill number in the upper right search box.
    Thank you.

This has been attempted many times in the past and failed, even under more 2A friendly administrations. I have been a supporter of the bill and have written my reps each time. It would not remove any states rights since you would still have to obey their laws as to where you can and can't carry. It would simply force those states who don't reciprocate to do so. The problem comes from differences in permit requirements. One state may require a background check and training. Another state may have no such requirement for either. Easy fix. Example: My state requires a background check but has no training requirement. If I want to carry in a state that has a training requirement then I obtain the training and carry proof with me. It wouldn't be that difficult of a hurdle. Those states that don't allow CC, well I guess you'll just have to OC. As long as there is no federal mandate for requirements and it's left at national reciprocity, this bill would be a great benefit.

Just sent a note to Bob Ingles (My Rep). I'd love to see this through!
    My Website: Nerd with a .45

Response from Chris Carney of Pa.

February 26, 2009

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your message regarding the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act.

Hearing from the people of northeastern and central Pennsylvania is an integral part of my job here in Congress and I appreciate you taking the time to contact me.

As an avid sportsman and firearms owner, I oppose the over regulation of guns owned by responsible Americans. Firearms safety education is an essential aspect of gun ownership, helping create a culture that respects the rights of gun owners and acknowledges their responsibilities. I am not supportive of any legislation that takes away the rights of law-abiding gun owners.

I am proud to be a cosponsor of H.R. 197, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act, which was introduced to Congress on January 6, 2009 by Representative Cliff Stearns. The bill proposes to amend the federal criminal code to allow a person with a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm in one state to also carry in another state, provided they are not prohibited by federal law. Currently this bill is being reviewed by the House Committee on the Judiciary Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security.

Thank you again for contacting me. As always, please feel free to share your comments and concerns with my staff.

Sincerely,

Christopher P. Carney
    Member of Congress

good post i wrote my rep. I am positive he will support it. He is the conservative democrat that believes in the 2a

Done. Messages sent. Used GOA's "Take Action" wizard.

It would be nice not having top carry multiple permits and not have to bypass some states because of differences in CC laws.

I Figured It was time for an Update..

I figured it was time to check with Mr McCotter for an Update..

Contact Thaddeus
    Click here for office locations and my team directory

Thank you for contacting Thaddeus!
    The following information was received by our office.
    Please continue browsing our site!
    Using GovTrack.us (H.R. 197: National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2009 (GovTrack.us) )

HR 197 was referred to sub-committee.
    Feb 9, 2009: Referred to the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security.
    Semper Fi

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast