National Right-To-Carry Reciprocity Bill Introduced
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: National Right-To-Carry Reciprocity Bill Introduced

National Right-To-Carry Reciprocity Bill Introduced

NRA-ILA :: National Right-To-Carry Reciprocity Bill Introduced

U.S. Representatives Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.) and Rick Boucher (D-Va.), recently introduced H.R. 197-- the "National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2009"--a bill that would provide national recognition for valid state Right-to-Carry licensees.

The bill would allow any person with a valid carry permit or license issued by a state, to carry a concealed firearm in any other state if the permit holder meets certain criteria. In states that issue permits, a state's laws governing where concealed firearms may be carried would apply within its borders. In states that do not issue carry permits, a federal standard would apply. The bill would not create a federal licensing system; it would simply require the states to recognize each other's carry permits, just as they recognize drivers' licenses.

Senator John Thune (R-S.D.) is expected to introduce the Senate companion bill in the near future. Rep. Stearns has introduced such legislation since 1995.

Please be sure to contact your U.S. Representative at (202) 225-3121, and urge him or her to cosponsor and support H.R. 197!

We need to support HR 197!
    Last edited by Templar; 01-25-2009 at 02:39 PM.

"Common Sense" gun laws. Common sense tells me that the gun didn't carry itself to the crime scene and pull it's own trigger. Punish the criminals, not the guns!

I would like to see this happen but with our current President and congress I will be more that a little surprised if it becomes law, but hey I serve the God of miracles so who knows.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

They could possibly get it passed but Hussein would never sign it. Overriding the veto would never happen.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

I think it's too good to be true also but I figure I'll do my part to try and help it pass. If it gets denied at some point at least I'll know I tried. For now I'll hope for the best.

"Common Sense" gun laws. Common sense tells me that the gun didn't carry itself to the crime scene and pull it's own trigger. Punish the criminals, not the guns!

Who knows? I think we need to do our due diligence and write our Reps & Senators anyway. We have to let them Know what we are thinking & we are watching....
    Semper Fi

7. I will call my reps tomorrow and write them letters. This kind of law would greatly reduce the attacks on tourists if they perps would not know if that person might just be carrying

wolfhunter Guest
    HR 17 is also an interesting proposal:

Summary:
    Citizens' Self-Defense Act of 2009 - Declares that a person not prohibited under the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act from receiving a firearm shall have the right to obtain firearms for security and to use firearms in defense of: (1) self or family against a reasonably perceived threat of imminent and unlawful infliction of serious bodily injury; (2) self or family in the course of the commission by another person of a violent felony against the person or a member of the person's family; and (3) the person's home in the course of the commission of a felony by another person.
    Authorizes persons whose rights under this Act have been violated to bring an action in U.S. district court against the United States, any state, or any person for damages, injunctive relief, and such other relief as the court deems appropriate.

I too will write my reps. hope we can get it.
    Let every soul be subject unto the [U.S. Constitution.] For there is no [Constitution] but of God: the [Constitution] that be [is] ordained of God. Whosoever therefore resisteth the [Constitution], resisteth the ordinance of God:American Romans Ch.13v1-7 C.Baldwin

A snowball's chance....
    The Avatar is my Great-Great Grandaddy, CPL Samuel Francis Bondurant, Co. D, 4th Alabama, Law's Brigade, Benning's Division, 1st Corp, Army of Northern Virginia, shot through right thigh 2 JUL 1863.

I agree with national reciprocity, but I don't believe it should require a bill. The "Full Faith and Credit" clause of the Constitution should be all that is necessary.

But that part of the Constitution also provides for Congress to make the necessary laws for that purpose:

"Article IV. Section. 1. Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof."
    Fred's News
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - - Thomas Jefferson, 1791

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast