Gun Ban in Pahrump, Nevada, 1-27-09! Can you help? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gun Ban in Pahrump, Nevada, 1-27-09! Can you help?

Quote Originally Posted by netentity View Post
    I wouldn't either. Besides you have enough local support that they wouldn't post anyway with everyone carrying concealed and open during the meeting anyway. However a savvy city attorney and sheriff could start popping people for illegal CCW if they were carrying in a posted town building. That would be one way to start a mass revocation campaign of NV CFPs.
    They could be popped for concealed carry anywhere, not just in town buildings, if they were carrying concealed illegally.

Also, NRS Chapters 244 and 269 et al., COUNTIES: GOVERNMENT and UNINCORPORATED TOWNS, state that no county or town may infringe upon the rights and powers of the citizens of Nevada to possess their firearms. Nevada is an open-carry state. We may legally possess and carry our firearms openly on our persons. That cannot be preempted! So it's my contention that the town cannot ban either open or concealed carry. That's what I meant to say in my last post.

Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    They could be popped for concealed carry anywhere, not just in town buildings, if they were carrying concealed illegally.

Also, NRS Chapters 244 and 269 et al., COUNTIES: GOVERNMENT and UNINCORPORATED TOWNS, state that no county or town may infringe upon the rights and powers of the citizens of Nevada to possess their firearms. Nevada is an open-carry state. We may legally possess and carry our firearms openly on our persons. That cannot be preempted! So it's my contention that the town cannot ban either open or concealed carry. That's what I meant to say in my last post.
    The Nevada legislature did empower cities, towns and counties the ability to post or place metal detectors at the entrance to public buildings as a prohibited area for concealed carry under NRS 202.3673. What our State preemption law does is take away the ability of them to pass any codes pertaining to firearms. Boulder City can no longer cite you and confiscate your handgun for having it concealed in your vehicle nor can North Las Vegas. The only local code that is in effect is the Clark County concealable firearm registration code and it's only applicable if you reside in Clark County for 60 contiguous days or more.

The only thing a city, town or county can do is post or place metal detectors at each entrance to one of their buildings or property they rent or lease. What happens if carry openly in a no CCW posted building I don't know. I haven't heard of a test case yet. Would you get trespassed from the property? Probably. Would LEOs be summoned, more than likely. Whether you get a simple trespass or you ending up in an orange jumpsuit immediately would greatly vary.

NRS 202.265 only prohibits firearms openly or concealed for K-12 schools, colleges, universities and licensed daycare facilities.

Tell you what, why don't you go ahead and carry openly into the LVMPD CCW Detail, the Clark County Government Government Center or a LVMPD substation or if you're really daring Northtown PD off of Lake Mead Blvd and Bruce St.

While I agree you can technically beat charges of illegal concealed carry they can legally bar you from CCW as empowered by the State legislature. However they will find a charge that will stick even if the charges are made posthumously. They will also add insult to injury and contact the issuing sheriff to have your NV CFP yanked pending the final disposition of your case.

If you're lucky you'll avoid having your case heard in Nevada Eighth Judicial District Court Department 5 which has Jackie Glass as judge. She's the closest thing to a hanging judge we have here. She also likes to draw and quarter jurors too. The only good thing she's done IMO since being elected was throw the book at OJ Simpson. Now if OJ ending up in her court wasn't karma, I don't know what is. I liked her comment on whether she didn't know if OJ was arrogant or ignorant.

You have enough support in Pahrump to keep the town council from posting and prohibiting any sort of carry prohibition in town "public" buildings. Here there isn't. There's a quantum difference in the politics when you cross into Nye County and back into Clark County. I don't endorse the way things are, they are what they are. It's not my fault that Clark and Washoe Counties are getting Californicated.

Also keep in mind that the Nye County Sheriff's office posts since it's a public building. Try it there. Carry it openly in there and see what happens. Carry concealed there and get made and I know what will happen. I'd be interested to see the fit Sheriff DeMeo would have over it and what you got charged with carrying openly in one of his substations.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

The Nevada legislature did empower cities, towns and counties the ability to post or place metal detectors at the entrance to public buildings as a prohibited area for concealed carry under NRS 202.3673. What our State preemption law does is take away the ability of them to pass any codes pertaining to firearms. Boulder City can no longer cite you and confiscate your handgun for having it concealed in your vehicle nor can North Las Vegas. The only local code that is in effect is the Clark County concealable firearm registration code and it's only applicable if you reside in Clark County for 60 contiguous days or more.

The only thing a city, town or county can do is post or place metal detectors at each entrance to one of their buildings or property they rent or lease. What happens if carry openly in a no CCW posted building I don't know. I haven't heard of a test case yet. Would you get trespassed from the property? Probably. Would LEOs be summoned, more than likely. Whether you get a simple trespass or you ending up in an orange jumpsuit immediately would greatly vary.

NRS 202.265 only prohibits firearms openly or concealed for K-12 schools, colleges, universities and licensed daycare facilities.

Tell you what, why don't you go ahead and carry openly into the LVMPD CCW Detail, the Clark County Government Government Center or a LVMPD substation or if you're really daring Northtown PD off of Lake Mead Blvd and Bruce St.

While I agree you can technically beat charges of illegal concealed carry they can legally bar you from CCW as empowered by the State legislature. However they will find a charge that will stick even if the charges are made posthumously. They will also add insult to injury and contact the issuing sheriff to have your NV CFP yanked pending the final disposition of your case.

If you're lucky you'll avoid having your case heard in Nevada Eighth Judicial District Court Department 5 which has Jackie Glass as judge. She's the closest thing to a hanging judge we have here. She also likes to draw and quarter jurors too. The only good thing she's done IMO since being elected was throw the book at OJ Simpson. Now if OJ ending up in her court wasn't karma, I don't know what is. I liked her comment on whether she didn't know if OJ was arrogant or ignorant.

You have enough support in Pahrump to keep the town council from posting and prohibiting any sort of carry prohibition in town "public" buildings. Here there isn't. There's a quantum difference in the politics when you cross into Nye County and back into Clark County. I don't endorse the way things are, they are what they are. It's not my fault that Clark and Washoe Counties are getting Californicated.

Also keep in mind that the Nye County Sheriff's office posts since it's a public building. Try it there. Carry it openly in there and see what happens. Carry concealed there and get made and I know what will happen. I'd be interested to see the fit Sheriff DeMeo would have over it and what you got charged with carrying openly in one of his substations.

LOL, yup, I agree with your wording and your analysis. I'm not one, however, to push the envelop. I like to use common sense even though the law says I can do other wise. So, although it may be legal, I'm not going to be the test case, not me, no sir eee bub! Nope, not gonna happen! Um, nah. Not here.

LOL, yup, I agree with your wording and your analysis. I'm not one, however, to push the envelop. I like to use common sense even though the law says I can do other wise. I just like to split the legal hairs, so to speak. So, although it may be legal, I'm not going to be the test case, not me, no sir eee bub! Nope, not gonna happen! Um, nah. Not here.

Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    Item #12 on the Agenda for the The Town of Pahrump's semi-monthly meeting was DROPPED from the agenda almost practically before the meeting got underway this evening. It will NOT be placed back on the agenda. The town's attorney conceded that the town has no standing to erect such an ordinance. We won one! Hooray!
    It's a great victory, but this city guy is dangerous. He needs to be replaced as soon as possible.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123