Gun Ban in Pahrump, Nevada, 1-27-09! Can you help?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun Ban in Pahrump, Nevada, 1-27-09! Can you help?

Exclamation Gun Ban in Pahrump, Nevada, 1-27-09! Can you help?

Pahrump's new Town Manager, William (Bill) Kohbarger, has called for a ban of firearms at town events, on town property, and in town buildings. (See Agenda #12) Are you in southern Nevada? Can you come to Pahrump for the 7 pm meeting tomorrow, 1-27-09, and help us curb this man's agenda to take away our rights? We need all the help we can get!

---
    From Pahrump's website:

TB Agenda 01-27-09 PDF Print E-mail
    Wednesday, 21 January 2009

PAHRUMP TOWN BOARD MEETING
    BOB RUUD COMMUNITY CENTER
    150 NORTH HIGHWAY 160
    TUESDAY – 7:00 P.M.
    January 27, 2009

AGENDA

1.Call to Order, Pledge of Allegiance, and Welcome.

2.Discussion and decision regarding agenda items.

3.Public Comment. Action may not be taken on matters considered during this period until specifically included on an agenda as an action item (NRS241.020 (2) (C) (3).

4.Advisory Board Reports

5.Announcements and “Good News”.
    6.Advisory Board Liaison Appointments by the Chairman of the Board.

7.Discussion and decision regarding Resolution 2009-01 accepting and approving the 2007/08 Town audit and supplemental materials. Finance Director/Town Manager

8.Discussion and decision regarding grant request from Pahrump Arts Council for “Youth Artists in Schools & Art for Young People” for $1,020. Town Manager/PAC

9.Discussion and decision regarding grant request from Pahrump Arts Council for “Theater Guild Production-I Have before Me a Remarkable Document to Me by a Young Lady from Rwanda” for $1,000. Town Manager/PAC

10.Discussion and decision regarding grand request from Pahrump Arts Council for an addendum to the Fiber Arts Budget for Regional advertising for $1,050.00. Town Manager/PAC

11.Discussion and decision regarding letter of support for Utilities, Inc. – Pahrump Valley Water and Wastewater Infrastructure Project. Town Manager

12.Discussion and decision regarding barring firearms on Town owned property, in Town owned buildings, and at Town sponsored events. Town Manager

13.First Reading of Ordinance #43 (An Amendment to Ordinance No. 43 of the Unincorporated Town of Pahrump, to Revise and Restate the Town’s Regulation Concerning the Collection, Transportation, Deposit, and Disposal of Solid Waste and Recyclables, and Providing for Other Matters Properly Relating Thereto). Town Board

14.Discussion and decision regarding two ordinances pertaining to vagrancy in public parks. Town Board

15.Discussion and decision regarding request by Town Manager to be excused from the Town Board meeting held on February 24, 2009. Town Manager

16.Town Manager Report.

17.Consent agenda items:

a. Action – approval of Town vouchers
    b. Action – approval of Special Town Board meeting minutes of December 22, 2008
    c. Action – approval of Town Board meeting minutes of January 13, 2009.
    d. Action – approval of Town Board closed meeting of January 13, 2009.

18.Future Meetings/Workshops: Date, Time and Location.

19. Adjournment.

A quorum of Nye County Commissioners may be present at any Town Board meeting but they will not take any formal action.

Any member of the public who is disabled and requires accommodations or assistance at this meeting is requested to notify the Pahrump Town Office in writhing, or call 775-727-5107 prior to the meeting. Assisted listening devices are available at Town board meetings upon request.

Sadly I will not be able to make this.. as I have to be at a clients house tomorrow night.. however..

This all came about because an older gentleman dropped his carry gun by accident (no one was hurt and the gun did not discharge) at the end of a meeting. I guess the new town manager freaked out that people were allowed to carry and decided to bring this up as an issue.

If they ban it at town events.. I dont plan on ever attending or volunteering at another one.

I'm incredulous if the new manager has never seen anyone open carry at a town meeting or event. I see people walking around town and into stores and other places all the time! It's hard to figure that just one goofy incident causes him to freak?! We need to educate him. Maybe you can talk your clients into accompanying you to the meeting first or after your meeting with them?

Contact the NRA-ILA and GOA if it goes through. Likely State law preempts City laws and if the State says it's OK, the City can't overrule.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    Contact the NRA-ILA and GOA if it goes through. Likely State law preempts City laws and if the State says it's OK, the City can't overrule.
    Good thinking. Thanks! I'll send off an urgent email right now.

Reporting in...

Item #12 on the Agenda for the The Town of Pahrump's semi-monthly meeting was DROPPED from the agenda almost practically before the meeting got underway this evening. It will NOT be placed back on the agenda. The town's attorney conceded that the town has no standing to erect such an ordinance. We won one! Hooray!

I was training at Front Sight this past weekend and got the impression that quite a few of the instructors were planning on attending the meeting carrying openly. Do you know if they were there? I'm not sure if they would wear their uniforms or not.
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

Quote Originally Posted by DarrellM5 View Post
    I was training at Front Sight this past weekend and got the impression that quite a few of the instructors were planning on attending the meeting carrying openly. Do you know if they were there? I'm not sure if they would wear their uniforms or not.
    I don't know. I did see many groups but I wasn't really looking for that one. As well, there were so many people there that they opened up the back room lest the Fire Marshall shut the hall down or empty it out. There was standing room only and 4 or 5 deep in the back. I think there were more people open carrying than not, just my opinion. We left at about 7:30 or so.

Awesome!!! Thanks for keeping us posted.
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

My pleasure! I'm doing the happy-dance tonight! Well, the happy sit anyway. Foot still hurts. *sigh*

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast