Holder Confirmed As Attorney General

Thread: Holder Confirmed As Attorney General

Thumbs down Holder Confirmed As Attorney General

The U.S. Senate confirmed Eric Holder as attorney general Monday, voting 75-21 to place him in charge of the Department of Justice.

Holder, 58, is a former federal prosecutor and served as deputy attorney general during the Clinton administration. His confirmation makes him the first African-American confirmed to the post, though he held the job on an acting basis in early 2001.

Monday's vote leaves him set to take over a Justice Department battered by a series of controversies during the Bush administration, from questions about how it laid legal groundwork for harsh interrogations of suspected terrorists to the sackings of top federal prosecutors in several cities.
    "There's a big job to do, and it's going to be Mr. Holder's duty to turn this department around and restore its credibility," said Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-California.

During confirmation hearings, Republicans questioned his role in former President Bill Clinton's widely criticized last-minute pardon of fugitive financier Marc Rich and questioned whether he would be independent of the White House. Holder had a testy exchange with the Senate Judiciary Committee's ranking Republican, Arlen Specter, who questioned Holder's "fitness" for the office.

Holder shot back that Specter was "getting close to the line in questioning my integrity," and Specter ultimately supported the nomination. But Sen. Jim Bunning, R-Kentucky, cited the pardons and what he called Holder's insufficient support for gun rights in opposing the nomination.

"Mr. Holder is supportive of old ideas for gun control that have never made people safer at the expense of taking away their rights," Bunning said.
    Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy pointed out that the chamber's Republican membership backed Bush administration Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, who was forced out in late 2007. The GOP also did not condemn the former president's commutation of the prison term facing ex-White House aide Lewis "Scooter" Libby, who was convicted of obstructing justice and lying to federal agents probing the 2003 disclosure of a CIA agent's identity.

"I don't recall any Republicans objecting to that," said Leahy, D-Vermont. "Instead, they're objecting to something President Clinton did. I don't want to suggest in any way that the objections are partisan, but they certainly aren't consistent."

All 21 of the "no" votes were Republicans, but more than a dozen GOP senators joined Democrats in confirming Holder. Sen. Christopher "Kit" Bond, R-Missouri, said Holder convinced him he would be "looking forward to keeping the nation safe."

Bond, the ranking Republican on the Intelligence Committee, raised concerns that the administration would seek to prosecute U.S. officials involved in using what the Bush administration called "alternative" interrogation techniques, measures critics said involved the torture of prisoners in U.S. custody.

Holder unambiguously called the use of waterboarding against suspected terrorists a form of torture that violated the Geneva Conventions, but he has said that prosecuting intelligence officials who followed Justice Department guidance would be "difficult."

Bond said that while Holder's answer focused on U.S. officials who were following the administration's legal advice, "I told him, and I believe he understood, that trying to prosecute these lawyers or political leaders would generate a political firestorm."

Source: CNN.com

The Saga continues...
    Last edited by lukem; 02-02-2009 at 08:57 PM.
    Semper Fi

wolfhunter Guest
    I'm sorry to say that the FL Democrat voted for Holder. The FL RINO abstained. Spineless Coward.

Thumbs down Sorry that Both Michigan....

It sure Looks like Politics as usual... Both Of Michigan's Dem Senators voted Yea.... Senators Levin and Stabenow.
    Sorry people..
    Semper Fi

We definitely need to keep a close eye on this clown.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

since only 21 senators voted against him does anyone have a list of the 21 who opposed

I would like to know to so I know who to support in 2010
    M1 Garand, Kimber Custom Carry II, Ruger P-95, Mossberg Persuader 12ga., Charles Daly 12ga(My gobbler gobbler)
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/10/311.html

Quote Originally Posted by stumpjumper101 View Post
    since only 21 senators voted against him does anyone have a list of the 21 who opposed
    Both TN REPUBLICAN Senators voted for this clown. I can't wait to blaze their asses in letter form. Neither will be receiving my vote the next time up.

Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

You can go here and see how they voted;

111th Congress, 1st session, Senate vote 32 | Congress votes database | washingtonpost.com

Mine split, Richard Shelby voted No and Jeff Sessions voted Yes. Sessions will not get my vote next time around.

Mr Bayh and Mr Lugar will not get my vote when I move back to Indiana. That's for sure
    M1 Garand, Kimber Custom Carry II, Ruger P-95, Mossberg Persuader 12ga., Charles Daly 12ga(My gobbler gobbler)
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/10/311.html

Who voted from the US Senate WEb site

Quote Originally Posted by stumpjumper101 View Post
    SJ... You asked who voted for or against? Check the US Senate WEb site at..... U.S. Senate: Legislation & Records Home > Votes > Roll Call Vote

Alphabetical by Senator Name Akaka (D-HI), Yea
    Alexander (R-TN), Yea
    Barrasso (R-WY), Nay
    Baucus (D-MT), Yea
    Bayh (D-IN), Yea
    Begich (D-AK), Not Voting
    Bennet (D-CO), Yea
    Bennett (R-UT), Yea
    Bingaman (D-NM), Yea
    Bond (R-MO), Yea
    Boxer (D-CA), Yea
    Brown (D-OH), Yea