How can we keep our school children safe?
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How can we keep our school children safe?

How can we keep our school children safe?

Have a comprehensive threat assessment of each school by the local law enforcement.
    Secure the perimeter of the school. All points of entry must be secure.
    A system to control everyone who is going in and out of the school building.
    A strong physical security presence and you start that by hiring trained armed former police officers or trained former military veterans and in addition to them, allow a few school officials who volunteer in the school to be allowed to carry a concealed firearm.
    Conduct active school shooter drills every quarter..
    Post signs outside of the school stating that there are armed security personnel in the school.
    Provide a mental health assessment for any child who exhibits any strong negative anti-social tendencies.
    Note: The above policies were implemented by the government in Israel after they had school shootings and after they put them into effect, all of the school shootings stopped.
    The only easy day was yesterday
    Dedicated to my brother in law who died
    doing what he loved being a Navy SEAL

You getting dotty in your old age there Ops? You started the same thread a couple of hours before this one. Maybe run over to the VA and get your meds checked?
    https://www.usacarry.com/forums/poli...dren-safe.html
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

Yea, I tried to delete it but couldn't.

Schools 'have option to arm teachers', says US education secretary
    'I think this needs to be part of the broader, more robust conversation about how can we avoid these things,' says Betsy DeVos
    By: Jon Sharman
    The US education secretary said schools have the “option” of arming teachers but refused to be drawn on whether she personally believed it was a good idea.
    Speaking after 14 pupils and three staff members were killed in a Florida high school, Betsy DeVos said individual states and cities needed to decide for themselves whether teachers should be trained in the use of guns.
    “I think this is an important issue for all states to grapple with and to tackle," she told conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt. "They clearly have the opportunity and the option to do that, and there are differences in how states approach this.
    Everything we know so far about the Florida school shooter
    “I think this needs to be part of the broader, more robust conversation about how can we avoid these things in the future, and how can we ensure that when my child, your child, goes to school in the morning they’re going to go to a safe and nurturing environment, and they’re going to be able to pursue their learning in a way that is going to excite and energise them.”
    Pressed further on whether she personally supported arming teachers if they were stringently vetted and rigorously trained, Ms DeVos she said: “I think that is a question and issue for communities to wrestle with, and I’ve seen approaches in different cities done different ways.
    “It is one that has to happen at the local level and at the state level. Communities need to share best practices and results from the steps that they take to ensure that kids have a safe environment in which to learn.”
    She added that she was “heartbroken” by Wednesday’s slaughter and that “there have been far too many of these situations”.
    Nikolas Cruz has been charged with 17 counts of murder at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in the city of Parkland.
    An arrest affidavit released by Broward County Sheriff’s Office stated that the 19-year-old former pupil, had "confessed" to the murders, after his arrest.
    Ms DeVos told Mr Hewitt that Cruz had “put up lots and lots of signals and warning signs” ahead of the attack.
    She said: “I think it’s critically important that we have a much more robust conversation around tracking and tackling mental health issues and really bringing this all together.
    “Congress needs to be holding hearings on these issues. We’ve seen lots of discussion about this every time we’ve had another incident, we’ve seen lots of finger-pointing back and forth. But we need to have a conversation at the level where lawmakers can actually impact the future.”
    Read More: Schools 'have option to arm teachers', says US education secretary | The Independent
    My Thoughts:
    Arming the teachers and staff can’t happen soon enough. My gun club teaches a concealed carry class for free to any local teacher that want’s to protect themselves, be it in the classroom or on the street.

Why Not Arm Teachers? Some Schools Have, And Here’s How They’re Doing It
    By John Frizoli
    Not surprisingly, in the wake of the deadly Florida high school shooting that took the lives of 17 people on Wednesday, liberals are loudly demanding increased gun control. In fact, the outcry from Democrats, the mainstream media, parents, and students who survived the attack has been so monolithic that one could be convinced that only two solutions to stopping school shootings are to severely restrict access to guns or do nothing and have the blood of future victims on your hands.
    Many conservatives, on the other hand, have offered another solution: arming teachers as a way to stop attackers in their tracks and deter anyone from starting an attack in the first place.
    But gun control advocates often oppose the idea of arming teachers, pointing out that many teachers don’t want to be armed and insisting that it would create a hostile culture between armed teachers and unarmed students. The question is, though, has anyone tried it yet?
    The answer is: yes. Some school districts in America are, and here is how they’re doing it.
    In pro-2nd Amendment Idaho, the Garden Valley School District purchased four rifles and 2,000 rounds of ammunition, according to local CBS affiliate KBOI. Their reasoning? The district encompasses a rural mountain community with few paved roads and a police response time of 30 to 45 minutes.
    A private Christian school in Idaho has also armed their teachers, according to the Christian Science Monitor. The Lighthouse Christian School in Twin Falls has trained their staff on how to best use the firearms, and they’ve received positive responses from the community.
    The state of Texas passed “campus carry” in 2016, allowing not only allowing teachers to carry concealed firearms but students as well, with some restrictions, NBC News reported. Some campuses, though, have put so many restrictions on who can carry that an estimated one percent of students can qualify.
    The Georgetown Exempted Village Schools district in Ohio decided to allow teachers who already have concealed carry permits to bring guns to school, according to CBS affiliate WKRC Cincinnati. They acknowledged that every second counts in an active shooter situation.
    In 2016, the Hanover School District near Colorado Springs decided it would let its teachers volunteer to be armed, provided they complete training, the Denver Post reported. Even though the district has an armed school resource officer, he has to divide his time with four other districts.
    School districts in Arkansas were already arming themselves back in 2013, according to the Associated Press. They took advantage of a state law that allows school staff members to become licensed and armed security guards after 53 hours of training.
    The Washington Post acknowledged back in 2016 that school districts across the U.S. were quietly arming their teachers. While societal issues — and matters of the soul — are certainly behind a rise in mass school shootings, the idea of arming those people who are already expected to take care of your kids for hours every day has become an increasingly popular, much more quickly implemented plan.
    Read More: Why Not Arm Teachers? Some Schools Have, And Here?s How They?re Doing It - Faith Family America
    My Thoughts:
    I hope these teachers fulfill their commitment to save their students.

250 Teachers Sign Up for 50 Seats at Concealed Carry Training Session
    By: AWR Hawkins
    Butler County, Ohio, Sheriff Richard K. Jones offered free concealed carry training for 50 teachers and 250 teachers responded within 24 hours.
    Breitbart News reported that Jones began advertising the free training on Sunday and the immediate response was 50 emails within 20 minutes:
    On February 20 Fox 91 reported the response had jumped to 250 teachers who wanted training. Jones reveled in the opportunity to instruct them, saying, “We have 250 and growing fast. We will start training fast, next week.”
    He stressed that he wants teachers to understand what they can do with a gun if an armed attacker enters the classroom. And while he cannot delegate the authority for teachers to carry on a given campus–that is a school board decision–Jones said he wants the teachers to be ready if their school board so chooses.
    He said, “If the school boards want to give the authority to teachers to be armed…[they] can do that, they have the authority to do it, but I’m going to do my part, and I assume I’m probably the only one in the state of Ohio that’s doing that – but something has to happen.”
    Read More: 250 Teachers Sign Up for 50 Seats at Concealed Carry Training Session | Breitbart
    My Thoughts: Not surprised, these teachers know what needs to be done.
    The gun club I belong to is certified to give concealed carry classes and for all of the teachers in the surrounding communities they can go there and receive their class instruction and fire arm training for free.

Lefties like guns, too . . .

9. Quote Originally Posted by Phillydog1958 View Post
    I give both Mr Guttenberg and Senator Rubio credit for attempting to bridge their delta on the solutions to an emotional issue. Nothing will get solved in that forum but that forum at least gets the issues on the table. This is a debate that requires an intelligent response and the emotional reactions are part of the process.

If anyone thinks any one sweeping piece of legislation will solve the myriad of issues that lend themselves to these events than they're intellectually lazy. If they actually do a root cause analysis vice attacking the symptoms then it becomes apparent that any solution that doesn't involve protecting our schools and campuses like our airports, banks, and Federal buildings is dishonest.

Bans will make people on that side of the debate feel good about an ancillary path forward and it will do nothing to solve the problem. Today's world is dangerous all over this world and denying the threats from a variety of evil sources to these places where our kids go to learn is immature. Meet the threat with equal resolve whether it is guns, drugs, pedophiles or any other threat. Make our schools a hostile environment to THEM.

If there is a solution to the obvious warning signs of a students mental illness being addressed then do it. There was one in place and it failed miserably from the school staff right on through to the law enforcement side. If it's in the existing background check process then so be it and fix it.

The one thing I know that will make every evil perpetrator look elsewhere is a secure and defended campus. If they don't do away with gun free schools and allow educators or staff to train and be the lethal bulwark and response against threats then the problem never gets solved. Make our schools more like airports and less like malls for anyone to meander into. Control access, detect hidden weapons/drugs, limit movement on school property for anyone not authorized to be there, and if a determined attacker makes the mistake of breaching the perimeter then make them pay inside the wire.

Welcome to the future. Now embrace it because it's not going away.

Sent from my XT1650 using USA Carry mobile app

I teach on a college campus, I have a NC CHP. If it were legal I would carry to class every time.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

11. Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    I teach on a college campus, I have a NC CHP. If it were legal I would carry to class every time.
    You are a unicorn in that world. Don't ever express your opinion in front of your colleagues. They would have you fired (or worse) for uttering such words.

Sent from my XT1650 using USA Carry mobile app

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast