Run on gun sales: Fear of Second Amendment constraints spurs gun-buying

Thread: Run on gun sales: Fear of Second Amendment constraints spurs gun-buying

Run on gun sales: Fear of Second Amendment constraints spurs gun-buying

Gun shop owners, firearm manufacturers and distributors are on target these days.

Some consumers - fearing that some firearms like AR-15 rifles will soon become illegal to buy - are flocking to stores.

And that concern is giving gun businesses a shot in the arm.

Bryan Tucker, chief executive officer and owner of wholesale gun distributor Davidson's Inc., said sales began climbing around mid-October to early November 2008. Demand for the firearms with 10-round magazine capacity and greater, along with handguns and rifles was so dramatic that Tucker added 20 employees late this past year.

"I think the influx right now is folks are just worried, they just want to make sure that in case something comes about like a ban, they could get what they need," he said.

Ken Jorgensen, director of media relations for Sturm Ruger & Co., said the gun maker, which has a factory in Prescott, saw an increase in orders for its firearms including semiautomatic rifles and pistols, double-action revolvers and pistols.

Jorgensen said it's really any type of defensive weapon and those that have higher capacity magazines.

And Jorgensen believes some people feel a legitimate concern that another bill restricting their gun rights could hit again as it did when President Bill Clinton signed the assault weapons ban into law in 1994.

"I think there are people concerned that we may see a repeat of that," he said.

Over at High Noon Indoor Shooting Parlour in Prescott Valley, Bob Allen said 2008 October and November sales were better than the same month's sales in 2007.

Brad DeSaye, president of J & G Sales in Prescott, said business jumped "substantially" in late October.

"November was by far the largest month we've had ever, by 60 percent," he said.

Allen and DeSaye both point to President Barack Obama and Democratic control of the House and Senate as playing a major role in gun and ammunition sales.

People are worried that Obama will impose stringent gun control laws that could include gun and ammunition bans and a possible increase the federal excise taxes as much as 500 percent for all gun and firearm sales.

Obama has said numerous times that he supports Second Amendment rights and will not crack down on gun owners.

But gun rights advocates, including the National Rifle Association aren't buying it and point to Obama's legislative record in Illinois and remarks he made during the 2008 primaries. In fact, DeSaye attributes 100 percent of the sales bump to Obama.

DeSaye says people are fearful that Obama will stop imports of all firearms, firearm parts and ammunition. "Obama's paid lip service to the entire Second Amendment," he said. "I think that's a well-grounded fear, not just speculation."

Retailers are reporting that people are buying a wide range of self-defense guns and ammunition. "We've seen an uptick in every single item. The majority of the increase has been focused on any item that may be potentially banned," DeSaye said.

Charly Gullett, at The American Gunshop in Prescott, said in late 2008, business was off for about the previous 18 months. "We were no more immune from the recession than anybody else was," he said.

But Gullett categorizes October and November sales as "normal" and anything but gangbusters.

Source: The Daily Courier

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

That's why I bought my 308 AR in September. If McCain had won, I'd still have it, and If Obama won, it would have been harder to afford. The last two gun shows I went to did not have any 308 AR's at all. They have become a bit scarce.

I've been investing in precious metals since. (mainly copper jacketed lead)
    I have become more optimistic, and now believe that things could get worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
    That's why I bought my 308 AR in September. If McCain had won, I'd still have it, and If Obama won, it would have been harder to afford. The last two gun shows I went to did not have any 308 AR's at all. They have become a bit scarce.

I've been investing in precious metals since. (mainly copper jacketed lead)
    sound money is the way to go
    Let every soul be subject unto the [U.S. Constitution.] For there is no [Constitution] but of God: the [Constitution] that be [is] ordained of God. Whosoever therefore resisteth the [Constitution], resisteth the ordinance of God:American Romans Ch.13v1-7 C.Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by krazyk View Post
    sound money is the way to go
    First, please allow me to admit that I am not a financial genius. I know one though. He has accurately predicted all that has transpired over the last two years. He is an honest and forthright fellow, and gives of himself freely. I trust him implicitly.

That being said, I have some bad news. There is no "sound" money. Money is a manufactured concept. It does not really exist. No other animal uses currency. It is really as valuable as monopoly money. It has value to the people playing the game, as long as they continue to play.

Be prepared to survive in a world without money. Gold is not a refuge. You can't eat Gold, and a starving man will give a pound of gold for a pound of venison, or a gallon of water, if he can not get food or water on his own.

Be prepared to feed yourself and your loved ones. Understand that you only get to have what you can keep others from taking from you.
    I have become more optimistic, and now believe that things could get worse.

we definately have BO to thank for the spike in gun sales. the smart people can see through his crap especially when it comes to the 2A.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!