NAFTA 2.0: Central Planning - The New USMCA Epands Government’s Control Over Trade

Thread: NAFTA 2.0: Central Planning - The New USMCA Epands Government’s Control Over Trade

1. NAFTA 2.0: Central Planning - The New USMCA Epands Government’s Control Over Trade

Last week the United States, Mexico, and Canada agreed to replace the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) with a new United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA). Sadly, instead of replacing NAFTA’s managed trade with true free trade, the new USMCA expands government’s control over trade.
    The USMCA also requires Mexico to pass legislation recognizing the “right of collective bargaining.” In other words, this so-called free trade agreement forces Mexico to import US-style compulsory unionism. If the Mexican legislature does not comply, the US and Canada will impose tariffs on Mexican goods.
    The USMCA also obligates the three countries to work together to improve air quality. This sounds harmless but could be used as a backdoor way to impose costly new regulations and taxes, such as a cap-and-trade scheme, on America.
    A true free trade deal would simply reduce or eliminate tariffs and other trade barriers. It would not dictate wages and labor standards, or require inter-governmental cooperation on environmental standards and monetary policy. A true free trade deal also would not, as the USMCA does, list acceptable names for types of cheeses.
    Those of us who support real free trade must not let supporters of the USMCA get away with claiming the USMCA has anything to do with free trade. We must also fight the forces of protectionism that are threatening to start a destructive trade war. Also, we must work to stop the government from trying to control our economic activities through regulations, taxes, and (most importantly) control of the currency through central banking and legal tender laws.
    The Ron Paul Institute for Peace and Prosperity : NAFTA 2.0: Free Trade or Central Planning?

My thoughts:
    This among other things really stood out to me...
    “In other words, this so-called free trade agreement forces Mexico to import US-style compulsory unionism. If the Mexican legislature does not comply, the US and Canada will impose tariffs on Mexican goods.“

3. I found these responses on another forum where folks actually hold politicians accountable:
    Trump just took a bad deal and made it far worse. This is horrible.
    So, THIS is one of those "better deals" we're constantly being told we can rely upon Trump to deliver?
    THIS is "moving the ball in the right direction"?

THIS is Trump being "something different"?

Sure feels a lot like the same old rape we've all seen a thousand times before.
    And Trump supporters would have us bend over, grab our ankles and say "Thank you sir! May I have another?"
    Urge your representatives to Get US Out! of NAFTA & USMCA
    On this forum......I hear crickets.

4. It’s not free trade if other countries are playing by different rules...

The third world cesspool doesn’t have to invest in clean air/water. Worker safety, health benefits, retirement benefits and on and on.

Not sure there is any equitable way to correct this. However hamstringing yourself to the advantage of others is stupid. The better answer in my book is no trade with Mexico.

Once Mexico is forced to operate within substantially similar standards, free trade can begin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Quote Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
    It’s not free trade if other countries are playing by different rules...

The third world cesspool doesn’t have to invest in clean air/water. Worker safety, health benefits, retirement benefits and on and on.

Not sure there is any equitable way to correct this. However hamstringing yourself to the advantage of others is stupid. The better answer in my book is no trade with Mexico.

Once Mexico is forced to operate within substantially similar standards, free trade can begin.
    Central government planning suits you well then.
    "No trade with Mexico"
    "Once Mexico is FORCED"
    "similar standards"
    Nothing in your response remotely comes close to Free Market.
    Free market is just that. A makes a product. B has a want or need. A and B come to a mutual agreement about what it is worth to him or her. There is NO reason a third party stranger who is not part of that agreement to make a side profit [theft].
    Competition, efficiency, demand, etc. should and would bring prices down. If company goes out of business - I do not believe in "too big to fail" - let free market demand determine if that product is necessary or should continue.
    "Standards" - so you promote forcing others to view WHOSE standards? Theirs? Ours? Yours? A third party [government] arbitrator who doesn't even produce?
    Governments create problems. Free markets solve them. Please read up on True Free Markets and then I'd be happy to discuss further.
    Also, take a gander at certain areas of manufacturing and why the U.S. will NEVER be able to compete with China.

Oh, here's a random pic of South Africa. Good, bad or indifferent as opposed to here in America where WELFARE is rampant. I'm certain their "standards" are much different than yours. Who decides?
    -beautiful-pictures-south-africa2.jpg
    Here's Detroit:

-06detroit2-slide-rh90-jumbo.jpg
    Here's Mexico City:

LIVE AND LET LIVE!

6. NAFTA 2.0: Central Planning - The New USMCA Epands Government’s Control Over Trade

Quote Originally Posted by ProudAmericanFirst View Post

Not sure where you get the idea I am a central planner. You know as well as I do that the US and other First World nations have sunk costs. Which drive the cost of production. That’s not competition. No matter how you spin it.

Which of our first world standards are you willing to give up for businesses to remain competitive and provide jobs that fuel our economy.

Break the unions
    Destroy healthcare benefits (private and government provided)
    Remove social security
    Remove workers comp
    Remove restrictions on firing legacy employees.
    Shutdown the EPA and any other business regulatory agencies.

Strip it all back and let’s have a free market. Short of that we are forced with what the central planners have already done to us. Mexico at this point is not under the same burden. Until they are it’s not competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Quote Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
    Not sure where you get the idea I am a central planner. You know as well as I do that the US and other First World nations have sunk costs. Which drive the cost of production. That’s not competition. No matter how you spin it.

Which of our first world standards are you willing to give up for businesses to remain competitive and provide jobs that fuel our economy.

Break the unions
    Destroy healthcare benefits (private and government provided)
    Remove social security
    Remove workers comp
    Remove restrictions on firing legacy employees.
    Shutdown the EPA and any other business regulatory agencies.

Strip it all back and let’s have a free market. Short of that we are forced with what the central planners have already done to us. Mexico at this point is not under the same burden. Until they are it’s not competition.

Unfortunately, the days of pensions are all but over. 401K's were designed to be supplementary, but never to take the place of retirement investments. If people wake up and begin to negotiate for pensions again, perhaps they can return.
    Social Security should be phased out. The folks who paid into it should get every dime back. But the govt. has no right to it and it shouldn't be forced. This will take educating the younger generation that a % of what they make should be invested - while they are young. This generation relies on welfare, never taught or thinks of investing while they are young, thus never worry about it until it's too late. Read up about Social Security and see where the FEDS took it over - it was SUPPOSED to be NO-TOUCH.
    If the legacy employee can no longer be productive or slacks on the job, it is the right of the business owner who invested in his/her company to hire/fire who he/she wants. The company is not a birthday present to you that you automatically own - it was created by the hard-working owners who invested their hard-earned cash.
    The EPA is a 3 letter agency that oversteps it's bounds. I have a friend who purchased an auto parts store because the old man retired. My friend wanted to put a 2-foot deep by 16-foot long addition on, to accommodate more parts on the shelf, hire an additional road sales person and 2 counter people. Doing the work himself would have cost him $2,500. Employing 3 more people who have families to feed would have been great. The permits he was required to obtain from the city amounted to $35,000. He said screw it and never hired additional people. Had anything happened to his addition, the EPA would not have done anything to help - he or his insurance that he paid for would have.
    Now, YOU tell me how on this planet, a business owner can spend $2500 on an addition which could have hired 3 more people, how a bureaucrat could justify $35,000 in rubber stamps when he/she didn't produce a thing!
    Unions - I reject the idea that after a person spends his hard-earned money, pays for building construction, zoning permits, waste, insurances, overhead, contracts, attorney fees, etc. etc. that a worker DEMANDS from the employer as if he is owed something. If the business owner opts to unionize his business - that is his business and I have no issue with that. How about YOU start a business in YOUR garage, hire an employee, and then that employee demands YOU to cough up what he demands/expects? Or is that different?
    Get the government out of healthcare altogether. VHS players were once over $2,500. Competition and efficiency drove the prices down to around $150. The same with DVD players, where you can buy the latest player that does everything for around $30. Government didn't do that - competition and efficiency did that. The same goes with healthcare - where MY doctor knows best - not the red-taped bureaucrats in the middle who have no idea what medicine is but has to approve/reject every piece of paper with a stamp. The amount that I pay for healthcare insurance each month sickens me to the point that I don't even want it - thank government intrusion on a scale now that I NEVER dealt with in my younger.
    Workers comp is insurance - as well as unemployment insurance - there is nothing wrong with that.
    Free Market is not as bad as it sounds. In fact, if left to operate without interference, people would see how sound it really works. Sure, the government will have you believe in their made-up fairytales, because that is how they gain control and profit. It is the lobbyists who are partly responsible but should be downright outlawed. Nobody ever complains about that.
    This mind set has to change. Just because it is the way that it is does not make it right or the only way it works. We must teach the young generation that free handouts are never really free and will always catch up with you in the end. $21 Trillion this country is in? Perhaps when 85% of their hard-earned check goes to taxes they will begin to think more logically.
    Don't steal from others...it is immoral and wrong....plus, the government hates competition.

8. OPS,

I’m a little confused...what do you make of this?...

“In other words, this so-called free trade agreement forces Mexico to import US-style compulsory unionism. If the Mexican legislature does not comply, the US and Canada will impose tariffs on Mexican goods.”