Lawmakers Propose Social Media Hate Speech Checks Before Gun Purchases
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lawmakers Propose Social Media Hate Speech Checks Before Gun Purchases

Lawmakers in New York have begun drafting legislation that would require potential gun owners to have the past three years of their social media reviewed before they were granted permission to own a firearm.
    Eric Adams, the president of Brooklyn Borough, and state Senator Kevin Palmer are currently writing the proposed legislation, which would give law enforcement authorities the power to check up to three years of an individual’s social media accounts and internet search history before they are allowed to buy a gun, WCBS Newsradio 880 reported. One of the main aims is to identify any hate speech shared by the users, as the politicians noted that such offensive comments are generally only discovered after mass shootings occur.
    “A three-year review of a social media profile would give an easy profile of a person who is not suitable to hold and possess a firearm,” Adams explained, according to the WCBS report.
    “If the police department is reviewing a gang assault, a robbery, some type of shooting, they go and do a social media profile investigation,” the borough president pointed out.
    Palmer and Adams insist that such legislation is needed to curb gun violence, despite inevitable opposition from gun lobbyists as well as some who may be concerned about free speech.
    Adams also pointed to last weekend’s massacre at the Pittsburg Tree of Life Synagogue, in which 11 worshippers were killed and six others were injured. The attack was the deadliest to specifically target the Jewish community in U.S. history.
    The Brooklyn leader emphasized that the shooter’s social media accounts would have raised serious alarm bells if such checks had been in place. Under existing laws in Pennsylvania, which would not be impacted by a New York policy shift, all the shooter’s weapons were bought legally, according to police.
    People pay their respects at a memorial outside the Tree of Life synagogue after a shooting there left 11 people dead in the Squirrel Hill neighborhood of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on October 29
    “There would have been a clear indicator of the shooter in the Tree of Life shooting in Pittsburgh,” the Brooklyn politician said, according to Spectrum News NY 1. “The profile of a person who was mentally unstable of purchasing or possessing a firearm would have been flagged.”
    Despite the claims of the powerful gun lobby, the National Rifle Association, and many politicians who often receive financial support from the organization, studies have consistently shown that stricter gun laws correlate with fewer firearm fatalities, CNBC reported earlier this year.
    In fact, the rate of deaths by firearms in states where guns are only lightly regulated – such as Alabama, Alaska and Louisiana – is more than four times higher than those with some of the strictest laws, such as New York, Connecticut, Hawaii and Massachusetts.
    Read More: https://www.newsweek.com/lawmakers-p...VxVz9p98tmtGno
    My Thoughts:
    And who determines what is acceptable speech?!?!?!?
    1984 is now!!!
    And what about the 1st Amendment?!?!?!?!?
    The only easy day was yesterday
    Dedicated to my brother in law who died
    doing what he loved being a Navy SEAL

The whole thought of that is a violation of innocent until proven guilty. Time to remove people that think like them from the US to some place such as Venezuela. Leave them there a while and they'll see the light of day. If they live that long.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    The whole thought of that is a violation of innocent until proven guilty. Time to remove people that think like them from the US to some place such as Venezuela. Leave them there a while and they'll see the light of day. If they live that long.
    One thing we learned from the Kavanaugh appointment, there is no such thing as innocent until proven guilty anymore.

5. Please verify all information in the future. It’s Kevin Parker, D 21st District - not Palmer.
    If you’ve done nothing wrong, and it becomes law, I see no problem with it. Right OPS?
    It’s just the beginning, it’s going to get way way worse. Too bad that commander in chief didn’t make it crystal clear that the 2ndA is not to be f’d with, instead of saying take ‘em first due process later, ban the bump stocks, and raise age to 21 which states are now doing.
    Double standards don’t work well with the BoR’s, OPS. You should know that, you swore an oath.
    Much, much worse under that globalist.
    Because, you see, presidents do not make law. Legislators do. But the president is the one who “sets the tone”.
    Didn’t you read my record sheets and slogans back in 2012 and 2016?

6. Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    One thing we learned from the Kavanaugh appointment, there is no such thing as innocent until proven guilty anymore.
    kavanaugh, who was instrumental in passing the Patriot Act, and other anti BoR rulings, just may be one of the ones who seal the deal. It will be interesting for sure.
    But then, that’s more of a states rights issue, if the 10th is even looked at anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ProudAmericanFirst View Post
    Please verify all information in the future. It’s Kevin Parker, D 21st District - not Palmer.
    If you’ve done nothing wrong, and it becomes law, I see no problem with it. Right OPS?
    It’s just the beginning, it’s going to get way way worse. Too bad that commander in chief didn’t make it crystal clear that the 2ndA is not to be f’d with, instead of saying take ‘em first due process later, ban the bump stocks, and raise age to 21 which states are now doing.
    Double standards don’t work well with the BoR’s, OPS. You should know that, you swore an oath.
    Much, much worse under that globalist.
    Because, you see, presidents do not make law. Legislators do. But the president is the one who “sets the tone”.
    Didn’t you read my record sheets and slogans back in 2012 and 2016?
    Not familiar with what BOR’s are, enlighten me will you.
    The only easy day was yesterday
    Dedicated to my brother in law who died
    doing what he loved being a Navy SEAL

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by opsspec1991 View Post
    "Bill Of Rights."
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Quote Originally Posted by opsspec1991 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    "Bill Of Rights."
    As Ops champions Trumps biometric tracking, take guns before due process, stop and frisk, facial recognition, raising gun ownership age to 21, it is pretty clear he is not familiar with the Bill of Rights.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

10. Throw the 1st Amendment & Freedom of the Press in there too.

Sarah Sanders, PressSec
    “President Trump believes in a free press and expects and welcomes tough questions of him and his Administration. We will, however, never tolerate a reporter placing his hands on a young woman just trying to do her job as a White House intern...“

Quote Originally Posted by ProudAmericanFirst View Post
    Throw the 1st Amendment & Freedom of the Press in there too.

I'm glad they finally did something about that obnoxious SOB. Regardless of his opinion of Trump and others, he constantly lacked proper decorum and it started to spread to a couple of others. He may not like Trump but he should have respect for the office, if not POTUS.Maybe he should learn how to use a little tact. As I learned way back when, tact is the ability to call a man a SOB and have him smile about it.

Freedom of the press doesn't give him the right to be a horse's azz in a setting such as that nor does the First Amendment. We used to be civil, even while gritting our teeth.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast