Update On National Right-To-Carry Reciprocity Bills
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update On National Right-To-Carry Reciprocity Bills

Update On National Right-To-Carry Reciprocity Bills

This week, Senator John Thune (R-S.D.) introduced S. 371, the Senate companion bill to H.R. 197 -- the "National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2009." H.R. 197 was introduced last month by U.S. Representatives Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.) and Rick Boucher (D-Va.), and would provide national recognition for valid state Right-to-Carry licensees.

The bill would allow any person with a valid carry permit or license issued by a state, to carry a concealed firearm in any other state if the permit holder meets certain criteria. In states that issue permits, a state's laws governing where concealed firearms may be carried would apply within its borders. In states that do not issue carry permits, a federal standard would apply. The bill would not create a federal licensing system; it would simply require the states to recognize each other's carry permits, just as they recognize drivers' licenses.

Please be sure to contact your U.S. Senators and Representative and ask them to cosponsor and support S. 371 and H.R. 197! You can call your U.S. Senators at (202) 224-3121, and your U.S. Representative at (202) 225-3121.

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

It's about time, but I don't think that it is going to get very far in a Dem. controlled Gov. But we can always hope and pray, 'cause our mojo is stronger than theirs. Where we have gotten and what we have accomplished has been through diligence, hard work and eternal vigilance, not subterfuge and treachery as our opponents have. God speed to us all.

Bills of this nature have been attempted many times in the past and always fail. I have written my reps in the past, and will continue to do so, to support these bills. Maybe some day one will finally make it.

This bill has a snowballs chance but it would be GREAT if it actually passed. It would make sense too...oh wait, that's why it'll never pass.

"Common Sense" gun laws. Common sense tells me that the gun didn't carry itself to the crime scene and pull it's own trigger. Punish the criminals, not the guns!

Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    This bill has a snowballs chance but it would be GREAT if it actually passed. It would make sense too...oh wait, that's why it'll never pass.
    It can't pass, there is no opportunity for Democrat corruption and payoffs to their friends.
    John - KJ4NSE
    Member NRA | GCO | GOA | SAF | ARRL
    Why would God invent something like whiskey? To keep the Irish from ruling the world of course.

A few thoughts on this...

H.R.197 contains:
    (a) Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof, a person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm and is carrying a valid license or permit which is issued by a State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm (other than a machinegun or destructive device) may carry in another State a concealed firearm (other than a machinegun or destructive device) that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, subject to subsection (b).

(b)(1) If such other State issues licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms, the person may carry a concealed firearm in the State under the same restrictions which apply to the carrying of a concealed firearm by a person to whom the State has issued such a license or permit.

(2) If such other State does not issue licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms, the person may not, in the State, carry a concealed firearm in a police station, in a public detention facility, in a courthouse, in a public polling place, at a meeting of a State, county, or municipal governing body, in a school, at a professional or school athletic event not related to firearms, in a portion of an establishment licensed by the State to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, or inside the sterile or passenger area of an airport, except to the extent expressly permitted by State law..
    I see a contradiction between subsection (a) and subsection (b)(1) in that some states' CCW's cover any weapon you could possibly conceal, yet there is language in the bill excluding machine guns. Also, some states require your particular firearm(s) to be listed on the permit. Would this then mean that the holder of a permit that doesn't have a list on it would not be able to carry in a state that requires it?

S.371contains:
    Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof:

(1) A person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and is carrying a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of any State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm, may carry in any State a concealed firearm in accordance with the terms of the license or permit, subject to the laws of the State in which the firearm is carried concerning specific types of locations in which firearms may not be carried.

(2) A person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and is otherwise than as described in paragraph (1) entitled to carry a concealed firearm in and pursuant to the law of the State in which the person resides, may carry in any State a concealed firearm in accordance with the laws of the State in which the person resides, subject to the laws of the State in which the firearm is carried concerning specific types of locations in which firearms may not be carried..
    To me this means that a resident of VT could carry in any state in the country without ANY permit.

As it stands now (according to Gov Track) the House bill has 108 co-sponsors and the Senate bill has 23. This is roughly 1/4 of congress. I'm not familiar with the inner workings and processes of congress, but I would think that is enough to have it reported out of committee. Any one know how that works? Any idea how long before a bill must either be reported out, or dies in committee?
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

finally!!! Im gonna call and support this one...

Quote Originally Posted by svrivera View Post
    finally!!! Im gonna call and support this one...
    I've emailed my Rep. and 2 Sens. All Democrats, (now that Spector flipped again) but all supposedly good on 2A. No response from Tim Holden, a somewhat generic reply from Spector, and a more subject-specific yet weak response from Casey saying that "S. 371 is currently under review by the Committee on the Judiciary, of which I am not a member."

I still do not see any of their names on the list of co-sponsors.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

10. Post S 371 and S 845 in Judiciary Committee

S. 845 - Committee Assignments: A bill to amend chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, to allow citizens who have concealed... (GovTrack.us)

* if anyone is part of the constituency of any of these Judiciary Committee members, sending them a letter might get some positive action -

Senate Committee on the Judiciary

This committee has 19 members. Use the buttons below to see all of the members.

1. Chairman Sen. Patrick Leahy [D-VT]
    2. Sen. Benjamin Cardin [D-MD]
    3. Sen. Thomas Coburn [R-OK]
    4. Sen. John Cornyn [R-TX]
    5. Sen. Richard Durbin [D-IL] * Go to page 1
    6. Sen. Russell Feingold [D-WI]
    7. Sen. Dianne Feinstein [D-CA]
    8. Sen. Lindsey Graham [R-SC]
    9. Sen. Charles Grassley [R-IA]
    10. Sen. Orrin Hatch [R-UT]
    11. Sen. Edward Kaufman [D-DE]
    12. Sen. Amy Klobuchar [D-MN]
    13. Sen. Herbert Kohl [D-WI]
    14. Sen. Jon Kyl [R-AZ]
    15. Sen. Charles Schumer [D-NY]
    16. Sen. Jefferson Sessions [R-AL]
    17. Sen. Arlen Specter [D-PA]
    18. Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse [D-RI]
    19. Sen. Ron Wyden [D-OR]

WTF? What is the purpose of S.845 vs. S.371? They are almost the same except that 845's language would not allow for concealed carry in IL or WI.

Am I missing something?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast