KATRINA Victims that had Guns taken/stolen by Gov. - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: KATRINA Victims that had Guns taken/stolen by Gov.

It's my opinion that to act as a deterrent, NRA or some other group should really be more vengeful in situations like this. Sue the individual soldiers and LEOs
    You can't. They are acting in their official positions, following orders, and are protected (in most if not all) states from lawsuits. Besides, it was not against "state law".

The "state" is protected. Even if you can sue them and even if they lose, they don't care, it's your money not theirs that gets taken.

At some point, people have to decide that they no longer can accept government stealing their rights and their property. Or, just accept you have no rights and are nothing but a slave to government.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster20 View Post
    Those who would actually follow orders to confiscate legally owned firearms, are criminals themselves! Of the worst kind I might add!!
    Show me where any of these criminals were prosecuted.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!
    EDC Primary: M&P45fs, Crimson Trace LaserGrips, Insight XTI Procyon light in SmartCarry holster
    >>> http://MP-Pistol.com/
    EDC BUF: LCP, Crimson Trace LaserGuard in DeSantis Super Fly holster
    >>> http://LCPforum.com/

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    As Jim said, LEOs following orders or department policy are usually protected from civil suits. At the very least, such a victim would have to first prove the officer(s) were not following orders. After putting a second mortgage on a house to accomplish this, a victim could file a suit. Even the NRA (and groups working the same suit) had trouble getting guns returned, let alone suing the thieves. Also, NOPD made no effort to protect the guns the grabbed, so many of the guns were in bad shape by the time owners got them back.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Landor View Post
    I am totally disgusted with the men and women that FOLLOWED ORDERS and took legally owned guns from legal citizens and made them targets to the gangs and looters. Those men and women are what is wrong with America. I would be willing to bet a lot of them enjoyed doing it. Made them feel powerful. My blood boils just thinking about it.
    I agree. Praise any of the fine folks who refused to take part in such a thing, true Patriots. I had no idea they did that during Katrina BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    As Jim said, LEOs following orders or department policy are usually protected from civil suits. At the very least, such a victim would have to first prove the officer(s) were not following orders. After putting a second mortgage on a house to accomplish this, a victim could file a suit. Even the NRA (and groups working the same suit) had trouble getting guns returned, let alone suing the thieves. Also, NOPD made no effort to protect the guns the grabbed, so many of the guns were in bad shape by the time owners got them back.
    Prosecution is a criminal, not a civil process. If the perpetrators were "following orders," then follow up the chain of command. Civil liability will not suffice for this offense, neither to satisfy my outrage nor, more importantly, to deter further commissions of this crime. The only possible deterrence is criminal prosecution and jail. Since our educational system fails to teach citizenship, a picture of a high level police official in traditional prison garb on the front page my become a teachable moment.
    Howard
    EDC Primary: M&P45fs, Crimson Trace LaserGrips, Insight XTI Procyon light in SmartCarry holster

I will resign my commission as a reserve deputy. I will not take part in any criminal gun confiscation.

hitlers soldiers who ran the gas chambers were also "following orders". I believe most knew what they were doing was morally and constitutionally wrong. most of my family on my fathers side were cops but not for long. they said too many of the people they worked with had the attitude of "it's us against the public".
    when true patriots become labeled as enemies you can bury my corpse right beside lady libertys

Quote Originally Posted by crazycathed View Post
    hitlers soldiers who ran the gas chambers were also "following orders". I believe most knew what they were doing was morally and constitutionally wrong. most of my family on my fathers side were cops but not for long. they said too many of the people they worked with had the attitude of "it's us against the public".
    As angry as I am about what happened, I am uncomfortable with this level of hyperbole. No lives were being taken directly by those "following orders." And I know of no lives lost as a consequence of the confiscation. Therefore, the issuers of those orders would be appropriate for prosecution.

Lest you think me insensitive to your reference, much of my family was eliminated by the Holocaust.
    Howard

As angry as I am about what happened, I am uncomfortable with this level of hyperbole. No lives were being taken directly by those "following orders." And I know of no lives lost as a consequence of the confiscation. Therefore, the issuers of those orders would be appropriate for prosecution.

Lest you think me insensitive to your reference, much of my family was eliminated by the Holocaust.
    Do you not think that gun confiscation was the prelude to the Holocaust and that gun confiscation must be jumped on whenever it is practiced?
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

ok, so it may not be along the same principle but I still think they may have been wrong in taking ppls guns. since it didn't happen to me I probably don't have a say in whether it was right or wrong.
    Last edited by crazycathed; 02-15-2009 at 06:30 PM.
    when true patriots become labeled as enemies you can bury my corpse right beside lady libertys

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast