Did Obama Throw Biden Under the Bus?

Thread: Did Obama Throw Biden Under the Bus?

Did Obama Throw Biden Under the Bus?

President Obama's explanation during his press conference Monday night of a comment made last week by Vice President Joe Biden appears to raise that question.

FOX News' White House correspondent Major Garrett asked the president to explain a Biden comment made last Friday, during which he said, "there's still a 30 percent chance we're going to get it wrong."

Read the exchange:

OBAMA: All right. Major Garrett, where's Major?

GARRETT: Mr. President, at a speech Friday that many of us covered, Vice President Biden said the following thing about a conversation the two of you had in the Oval Office about a subject he didn't disclose.

"If we do everything right, if we do it with absolute certainty, if we stand up there and we really make the tough decisions, there's still a 30 percent chance we're going to get it wrong."

Since the vice president brought it up, can you tell the American people, sir, what you were talking about? And if not, can you at least reassure them it wasn't the stimulus bill or the bank rescue plan and if, in general, you agree with that ratio of success, 30 percent failure, 70 percent success?

OBAMA: You know, I don't remember exactly what Joe was referring to...

(LAUGHTER) ...not surprisingly.

But let me try this out. (MORE LAUGHTER)

I think what Joe may have been suggesting -- although I wouldn't put numerical -- I wouldn't ascribe any numerical percentage to any of this -- is that, given the magnitude of the challenges that we have, any single thing that we do is going to be part of the solution, not all of the solution.

And as I said in my introductory remarks, not everything we do is going to work out exactly as we intended it to work out. You know, this is an unprecedented problem.

And, you know, when you talk to economists, there's some general sense of how we're going to move forward. There's some strong consensus about the need for a recovery package of a certain magnitude. There's a strong consensus that you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket, all tax cuts or all investment, but that there should be a range of approaches.

But even if we do everything right on that, we've still got to deal with what we just talked about, the financial system, and making sure that banks are lending again. We're still going to have to deal with housing. We're still going to have to make sure that we've got a regulatory structure, a regulatory architecture for the financial system that prevents crises like this from occurring again.
    Now, those are big, complicated tasks. So I don't know whether Joe was referring to that, but I used that as a launching point to make a general point about these issues.

QUESTION: (OFF-MIKE)

OBAMA: I have no idea. I really don't.

Source: FOXNews.com

I would say there is a 100% chance they will get it wrong.
    Last edited by lukem; 02-10-2009 at 11:59 AM.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Typical non-answer. But he's so dreamy, he'll make it all better......
    "No matter how one approaches the figures, one is forced to the rather startling conclusion that the use of firearms in crime was very much less when there were no controls of any sort and when anyone, convicted criminal or lunatic, could buy any type of firearm without restriction. Half a century of strict controls on pistols has ended, perversely, with a far greater use of this weapon in crime than ever before."

-- Colin Greenwood

wolfhunter Guest
    This is the worst recession in his lifetime? The GDP and unemployment were this low when Peanuts was sitting in the White House, helping his brother sell beer. Was 0bama not living in the US then?

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    "If we do everything right, if we do it with absolute certainty, if we stand up there and we really make the tough decisions, there's still a 30 percent chance we're going to get it wrong."
    I've heard somewhere that that's actually around the expected level of failure when dealing with situations that have a lot of risky unknowns, even when all precautions are taken. Biden would probably know that from his years in the Senate. Too bad Obama doesn't know anything.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

wolfhunter Guest
    If 0bama had years in ANY occupation, he might've learned something. He worked as a Senator for less than 180 days. (Full time campaigning doesn't count towards experience as a Congressman)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    This is the worst recession in his lifetime? The GDP and unemployment were this low when Peanuts was sitting in the White House, helping his brother sell beer. Was 0bama not living in the US then?
    Can you say "Kenya"???

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Can you say "Kenya"???

gf
    My thought exactly.

Give Nobama a chance guys

Yeah, yeah, a chance to prove he's got as much chance of pulling this economy rabbit out of a hat as a snowballs chance in hell.

Blog Entries

We were all thrown under the bus

We had one last chance to stop this stimulas package with all of it's pork and non stimulas garbage.

This package may not add stimulas, but it will add clout to Obama and Socilist backers.

The more they give to those that never worked and depend on the Government (which is growing in numbers) the more powerful they become.

Everyday I see a little bit of Our home of the Brave and Land of the Free be taken away.

These three senators Arlen Specter of Pa. and Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe of Maine have betrayed not only their colleagues but also the basic principles of the Republican Party, including a fiscally sound government.

I wonder what their stand will be on Federal Gun Control.

Debray