Obama to Seek New Assault Weapons Ban
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Obama to Seek New Assault Weapons Ban

Exclamation Obama to Seek New Assault Weapons Ban

The Obama administration will seek to reinstate the assault weapons ban that expired in 2004 during the Bush administration, Attorney General Eric Holder said today.

"As President Obama indicated during the campaign, there are just a few gun-related changes that we would like to make, and among them would be to reinstitute the ban on the sale of assault weapons," Holder told reporters.

Holder said that putting the ban back in place would not only be a positive move by the United States, it would help cut down on the flow of guns going across the border into Mexico, which is struggling with heavy violence among drug cartels along the border.

"I think that will have a positive impact in Mexico, at a minimum." Holder said at a news conference on the arrest of more than 700 people in a drug enforcement crackdown on Mexican drug cartels operating in the U.S.

Mexican government officials have complained that the availability of sophisticated guns from the United States have emboldened drug traffickers to fight over access routes into the U.S.

A State Department travel warning issued Feb. 20, 2009, reflected government concerns about the violence.

"Some recent Mexican army and police confrontations with drug cartels have resembled small-unit combat, with cartels employing automatic weapons and grenades," the warning said. "Large firefights have taken place in many towns and cities across Mexico, but most recently in northern Mexico, including Tijuana, Chihuahua City and Ciudad Juarez."

At the news conference today, Holder described his discussions with his Mexican counterpart about the recent spike in violence.

"I met yesterday with Attorney General Medina Mora of Mexico, and we discussed the unprecedented levels of violence his country is facing because of their enforcement efforts," he said.

Holder declined to offer any time frame for the reimplementation of the assault weapons ban, however.

"It's something, as I said, that the president talked about during the campaign," he said. "There are obviously a number of things that are -- that have been taking up a substantial amount of his time, and so, I'm not sure exactly what the sequencing will be."

In a brief interview with ABC News, Wayne LaPierre, president of the National Rifle Association, said, "I think there are a lot of Democrats on Capitol Hill cringing at Eric Holder's comments right now."

During his confirmation hearing, Holder told the Senate Judiciary Committee about other gun control measures the Obama administration may consider.

"I think closing the gun show loophole, the banning of cop-killer bullets and I also think that making the assault weapons ban permanent, would be something that would be permitted under Heller," Holder said, referring to the Supreme Court ruling in Washington, D.C. v. Heller, which asserted the Second Amendment as an individual's right to own a weapon.

The Assault Weapons Ban signed into law by President Clinton in 1994 banned 19 types of semi-automatic military-style guns and ammunition clips with more than 10 rounds.

"A semi-automatic is a quintessential self-defense firearm owned by American citizens in this country," LaPierre said. "I think it is clearly covered under Heller and it's clearly, I think, protected by the Constitution."

Source: ABC News
    Last edited by lukem; 02-26-2009 at 11:30 AM.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Not surprised. I'm glad I got my AR15 last year!

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

We all new with Obamanation on the throne this would come.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

5. "Some recent Mexican army and police confrontations with drug cartels have resembled small-unit combat, with cartels employing automatic weapons and grenades"

If this is their reasoning for the ban, the last time I checked it was already illeagel to sell full-auto and grenades in the US.WOW! the problem is solved, we already have that ban in place.

Quote Originally Posted by fibertech View Post
    "Some recent Mexican army and police confrontations with drug cartels have resembled small-unit combat, with cartels employing automatic weapons and grenades"

If this is their reasoning for the ban, the last time I checked it was already illeagel to sell full-auto and grenades in the US.WOW! the problem is solved, we already have that ban in place.
    I was thinking that very same thing... The average law abiding "Joe" cannot buy Title 2 weapons unless going through an extensive background check, etc..etc..etc... but the Mexican criminals are acquiring them..

What site did this come from? I've been looking all over for an article about this. You should post a link when you copy articles like this. I want to email this around to some ol buddies. Thanks man!

I found it and added a link to the source.

You should email the usacarry link around though!

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

Fresh letters sent

Ahhh **@#!*&^#, Well anyway, fresh, polite letters have been sent to Mr Levin, Ms Stabmenow and Mr McCotter of Michigan his morning...
    Semper Fi

Exclamation Here is the letter I sent

The Honorable Jeff Miller
    House of Representatives
    2439 Rayburn House Office Building
    Washington, DC 20515-0901
    Re: Assault Weapon Ban
    Representative Miller:

Sir;
    Attorney General Eric Holder announced via ABC news an interest in banning assault weapons much the same as the Clinton Administration did. This is an outright attack on the second amendment. Assault weapons are those capable of firing multiple rounds from one pull of the trigger and have been outlawed for quite some time. The issue here is that weapons that look like assault weapons are on the chopping block so to speak. These weapons are not capable of fully automatic fire. As for sporting purposes, many gun clubs and ranges offer matches for military style rifles using only iron sights. also I would like to add that banning bayonet lugs on rifles is not exactly going to cut down on crime. I cannot recall any drive-by bayonettings. It simply does not happen. People who own guns legally do so for the purposes that the founding fathers intended. Criminals on the other hand do not care about the law or what they may or may not own or obtain. Banning weapons based on flawed data from nefarious organizations like the Brady Campaign and the U.N. will only bring about flawed laws that take rights away from law abiding citizens and place power directly in the hands of lawless thugs who care not for the law or it's consequences.

I urge you not to support any legislation that seeks to ban guns or limit magazine capacity in any form.
    Sincerely,
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Well most of us knew it was coming. Time to start a writing campaign and let your reps know they can still be voted out. Hey JW where are you at, you promised he wouldn't take our guns.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast