U.S. Military Budget
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U.S. Military Budget

U.S. Military Budget

First let me say I'm very proud of my Grandpa for serving in WWII. My sister is married to a marine and he's a good friend of mine. I'm a senior in college but if needed after school I would serve. However, I was taking a history course and my professor, who has a son in Iraq, brought up some interesting ideas. He made us read this book called "the sorrows of empires" (everyone should read). Did yall know that the U.S. Military budget is larger then the next 25 countries combined. That's Russia, China, the European Union all that. What I don't understand is when I talk to my Bro-in-law he complains about how little Marines make and he is right. I think, as my professor pointed out and most people don't realize, it is because of the huge amount of bases we have across the globe. Just my two cents but I think we need to bring our troops home and pay them more. At the least we need to cut down on all these bases abroad in Japan, South America etc. By the way, the moral of the story of the book " the sorrows of empire" was that throughout history if you look at great civilizations and their rise and fall the same things happen. They over stretch their military empires, they become weak in their domestic infrastructure and their economy weakens then the state becomes vulnerable and fails. I'm worried that we may be following the path of the Romans and the French under Napoleon. This may not be the time or place for this thread but I wanted to get feedback from some people on here because I feel like I can relate to people on here more then my classmates.

wolfhunter Guest
    Do a web search on this topic and Dr. Ron Paul

I voted for Ron Paul in the Georgia Republican primaries. I agree with Ron Paul 99% of the time. Too bad his ideas are "too radical" for the U.S. public

There are some benifits to having strategic bases to project power from.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

While foreign bases are expensive they have great strategic value in the projection of force.

But don't lose sight of the fact that the US military is a very sophisticated high tech machine and the technology costs a lot of money. A B-2 bomber costs $1.5 Billion a copy, an aircraft carrier costs $5-7 billion before its outfitted for sea, armed and equipped with the air wing.

Its good to have these things to support the troops on the ground, but it isn't cheap.
    John - KJ4NSE
    Member NRA | GCO | GOA | SAF | ARRL
    Why would God invent something like whiskey? To keep the Irish from ruling the world of course.

One thing people in general don't seem to realize. Let's take a B-2. Where does that 1.5 billion go? It goes to thousands of hard working people who mine raw materials, manufacture those materials into usable materials. make the parts and equipment to build the plane, build the plane, outfit the plane, fuel the plane and finally fly the plane. It may be trickle down economics, but it WORKS. Problem is people who oppose this type of spending would rather take that money and give to government bureaucracies and let them dole it out in the form of welfare while padding their pockets to run these government programs.

Quote Originally Posted by astute View Post
    One thing people in general don't seem to realize. Let's take a B-2. Where does that 1.5 billion go? It goes to thousands of hard working people who mine raw materials, manufacture those materials into usable materials. make the parts and equipment to build the plane, build the plane, outfit the plane, fuel the plane and finally fly the plane. It may be trickle down economics, but it WORKS. Problem is people who oppose this type of spending would rather take that money and give to government bureaucracies and let them dole it out in the form of welfare while padding their pockets to run these government programs.
    Absolutely. I'd much rather have the government spending my tax money buying weapons built by American workers than sending it to people who think they don't have to work because "the government" will take care of them.
    John - KJ4NSE
    Member NRA | GCO | GOA | SAF | ARRL
    Why would God invent something like whiskey? To keep the Irish from ruling the world of course.

Quote Originally Posted by astute View Post
    Actually, most of the that $1.5 billion went into the designing of the plane. It was because Congress decided to build only 21 of them that the cost per plane (when factoring in R&D) was so high. IIRC, the fly-away cost (how much it actually costs to build one more aircraft), was about $200 million.

Being spread to thin was a major reason Germany was defeated in WW2. I am not a fan of being the policeman of the world. I am a big fan of having a strong National defense. There are a lot of similarities between America of today and the Roman Empire when it fell. What is the saying? Those that do not learn from history are destine to repeat it. I think George Washington showed great wisdom when he warned about getting involved with the affairs of the world.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

I agree with all that was said above to a certain extent. I definitely would rather spend the 500+ billion on defense instead of bailing out companies. However, if you look at this list it is a bit confusing to me, List of countries by military expenditures - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. We spend about halve of the entire world's military expenditures. I understand that one plane might cost a billion, but are we that superior to everybody. If we are spending more then the next 25 countries put together, shouldn't we have 25x the planes, 25x the guns, 25x the troops etc etc... Basically, to me it seems there is a lot of politics in this and this money is getting wasted in hand outs to defense contractors or something because I know the money isn't going to the troops. For example, I saw this film about Haliburton and others on HBO the other day. Some marines were talking about how the Haliburton trucks just run up and down the road over and over again without a load not bringing supplies to the troops. He said he found out it was because they were billing the government for every trip they made even if they didn't make a delivery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast