Tiahrt Co-sponsors 2nd Amendment Self Defense Bill - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tiahrt Co-sponsors 2nd Amendment Self Defense Bill

I started researching H.R. 197 and noticed that there is a related bill, S. 371, that was introduced in the Senate on June 3, 2009 by Senator John Thune of South Dakota.

H.R. 197 has 60 co-sponsors, of which my Representative (Dean Heller), is one.

S. 371 has 22 co-sponsors, of which one of my Senators (John Ensign), is one. Now if I can get my other one, Senator Harry Reid, on board.

Time to start writing emails.
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

Here's what I sent to Harry Reid:

I am writing to ask you to consider supporting S. 371. Other states recognize my drivers license and vehicle registration, why can't they recognize my concealed firearm permit. I can currently carry my firearm concealed in 32 states. When I travel across the country, usually alone and on a motorcycle, I have to plan my route carefully to avoid certain states. If I have to visit California, which I try to avoid at all costs, I have to stop at the state line to store my firearm in a locked case in the trunk of my vehicle. The ammunition has to be stored somewhere other than the trunk. Basically, you have to be defenseless to cross the border. When I'm standing at the Nevada / California border I can't help thinking that in my state, I'm just a law abiding citizen exercising my 2nd Amendment rights. If I were to take a few steps over the state line, I would be committing a felony.

I hope it helps. I disagree with Sen. Reid on almost everything but guns.

Here's my letter:

Dear {Sen. Lugar,Sen. Bayh,Rep. Ellsworth,Pres. Obama**:

I urge you to support the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Bill (H.R. 197) introduced by Rep. Todd Tiahrt (R-KS). This common sense gun law harmonizes protections of the concealed carry rights of American citizens nation-wide in the same way the Constitution's full faith and credit clause has already forced harmonization of protections of our driving privileges.

If an American is to be trusted with the privilege of driving in one state or territory, that privilege is recognized uniformly everywhere he may drive the class of automobile he has shown himself to be capable of handling responsibly. Yet, an American's 2nd Amendment rights to keep and bear arms ends at their state border if the Attorney General of the state being travelled to (or merely through) does not recognize the right to keep and bear arms in fact. Why should a privilege be more universally respected than a right?

Hoosiers bearing a personal protection permit may freely carry their concealed personal protection sidearm north into Michigan or south into Kentucky, because of reciprocity agreements struck between the respective states' Attorneys General, but not east into Illinois or west into Ohio, because those states' Attorneys General have no made such agreements.

Indiana's common sense gun laws recognize the rights of the citizens of all states and territories. Any American citizen with a license to carry a handgun from their home state or territory will have that right respected while they visit the Hoosier state. It's time to make this Hoosier value an American value.

Please, support and pass the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Bill (H.R. 197).

Letters sent

Letters sent to Senators Levin & Stabenow (d). A Third Letter has been sent to Rep. McCotter (R), 11th Dist Mi, thanking him for his Co-Sponsorship.
    Semper Fi

Very well written CathyInBlue.

I have written my South Carolina state reps telling and asking them to support this bill.

I really don't mean to sound like a jack-ass, but Illinois is west of Indiana and Ohio is east. I just want anyone who may be copying this letter to make that change before resending it.

Steve

Did I do that?

Man, I really wish I'd waited just a little bit longer so I could have included reference to S 371 as well, and dyslexics should never be the final proofreader of their own text.

10. snowballs chance in hell but I emailed congress

This would be great to see, I just see a lot of road-blocks ahead, even if politics change in 2010 and 2012. I would almost rather have status quo, than, say a New York or Illinois Congressman propose a bill that would restrict my rights here in Pennsylvania.
    Unfortunately the gun control "competition" are probably going to take the incident that occurred in Binghamton, New York today and run with it. New York government is apparently comfortable with having more illegal-carry thugs than law abiding citizens that can carry firearms. It would be really cool to see a law abiding citizen be able to step in and prevent a felony/murder from occuring!
    I have emailed my congressman as well and requested his support of the bill.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast