Library Holdings . . . Pro, anti, or balanced?

Thread: Library Holdings . . . Pro, anti, or balanced?

Library Holdings . . . Pro, anti, or balanced?

I have a few questions.

Has anyone tried to learn more about defensive handguns at their local library?

If so, have you been successful at locating quality sources?

Were library staff helpful in your search?

Today I went to my local library and looked for some books on defensive handgun techniques. The one book they had on the shelves (Concealed Handgun Manual by Chris Bird) was locked in the administration office and I was told that the library director would need to be contacted (he/she was out of town) and the director would have to get the book for me. I was, however, able to find about 6 books that were anti-gun. I suppose I'm a little biased, but I was a little frustrated.

Any comments from the masses?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by srshadwi View Post
    I have a few questions.

Has anyone tried to learn more about defensive handguns at their local library?

If so, have you been successful at locating quality sources?

Were library staff helpful in your search?

Today I went to my local library and looked for some books on defensive handgun techniques. The one book they had on the shelves (Concealed Handgun Manual by Chris Bird) was locked in the administration office and I was told that the library director would need to be contacted (he/she was out of town) and the director would have to get the book for me. I was, however, able to find about 6 books that were anti-gun. I suppose I'm a little biased, but I was a little frustrated.

Any comments from the masses?

Steve
    did you happen to point out to them that you found with ease 6 anti gun books but you need special permition to get a pro gun book?? and ask them what their reasoning was behind this? I mean what a crock!
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    did you happen to point out to them that you found with ease 6 anti gun books but you need special permition to get a pro gun book?? and ask them what their reasoning was behind this? I mean what a crock!

reasoning? Remember we are talking about Illinois.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

I didn't press the desk worker since I doubt that person is in charge of policy at the library. I DO plan on speaking to the director when he/she returns. I would like to think a public library is an unbiased source of information designed to promote sharing of ideas and the healthy debate of current topics. I'm not sure if that is so true in certain places. Perhaps I can convince the library to invest in some Pro-Gun literature to balance things out.

Steve

wolfhunter Guest
    I haven't checked our library, but I quit shopping at B. Dalton books. I asked why there were no gun magazines and an assistant manager told me it was against company policy. That irked me a bit. On my way out of the store, I noticed both HighTimes and HighLife magazines for sale.

It's against policy to carry magazines about a legal topic, but it's OK to carry magazines about an illegal one??? What's up with that???

Knowing several librarians I can assure you that they do their best to fill the library with books they like no matter what the actual patrons want. If pressed they may order some heavily requested ones but only if they approve. It is not libtaries in general that are either pro or anti but you will probably find that most would tend to be anti being most librarians are introverts by nature. To put it bluntly most head librarians I know are weird but not always completely. I doubt that the head librarian even knows that the anti gun books are on the shelves but does know all about the pro gun book so therein lies the problem.

I doubt that talking to him/her will accomplish much other than probably raising you blood presure through the roof. They do not like to compromise and may for a day or two but settle back into their previous routine. Either way unfortunately the public library is not the place to try to learn about guns but should be.

8. My public library has at least 8 pro-gun books, including The Concealed Handgun Manual and More Guns, Less Crime.