Made in Japan

Thread: Made in Japan

Made in Japan

Since this has nothing to do with guns but it does have some political thoughts I just would like everyone elses opinions on it. When Heads of State, in our case the President, visits another Head of State, in the case of England, Queen Elizabeth II, it is customary for them to present them with a gift representing something from that country that is from and made in that country.

Much like when two Governors bet on a football game between two college teams they will bet a basket of peaches against some cheese. Each representing what that state is known for.

What I want to know is why President Obam presented Queen Elizabeth an IPod made in Japan. Was there nothing made in the US good enough or is he trying to infer that the US is being taken over by Asian? If so would't a basket of Tacos or chili peppers been more appropriate since we are being taken over by Mexico?

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    What I want to know is why President Obam presented Queen Elizabeth an IPod made in Japan. Was there nothing made in the US good enough or is he trying to infer that the US is being taken over by Asian? If so would't a basket of Tacos or chili peppers been more appropriate since we are being taken over by Mexico?
    I had seen on a news program that the queen requested the iPod.

Max

Just like a lot of our Chevrolets come from Mexico, Fords come from Canada, and Chryslers come from the scrap heap with a new coat of paint slapped on them, iPods no longer come from Japan.

Flip one over sometime.
    "Made in Malaysia" or "Made in Taiwan"

I'm typing this on a Macintosh laptop.
    "Designed by Apple Computer, Cupertino, California. Made in China."

The Honda SUV sitting in my driveway has an Isuzu engine... All the electronics say "AC-Delco" or "Delphi" on them. (General Motors) The rear axle is a Dana44 which a lot of Jeep guys will recognize. And it all came like that from the factory... BTW, the factory is in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

My Ford tow truck was made in Canada, the 5 speed Transmission was made in Germany (ZF is the name of the manufacturer) as were the glowplugs (Motorcraft/Beru)... And a lot of the newer PowerStroke diesels are made in Brazil by Navistar which owns International Harvester. (Chevy Duramax engines are Isuzu designed. Isuzu is a Japanese company.)

It always bugs me when someone says "Buy American!" A Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc all have plants here. In fact there is more American labor in a newer Honda Accord or Toyota Corolla than there is in a newer Ford Taurus or Chevrolet Malibu.

Even VWs are made in the Chezch Republic and Toyotas are made in Brazil. There are no more national brands.

But for the record, no, we do not produce anything worth giving to the Queen of England... They've outlawed guns there, so she wouldn't want an AR-15.

Quote Originally Posted by Colt 45 View Post
    I had seen on a news program that the queen requested the iPod.

Max
    I heard the same thing.. I guess she at least wanted something she could use instead of some unplayable dvd's:)
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!