Georgetown Says It Covered Over Name of Jesus to Comply With White House Request
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Georgetown Says It Covered Over Name of Jesus to Comply With White House Request

Exclamation Georgetown Says It Covered Over Name of Jesus to Comply With White House Request

Georgetown University says it covered over the monogram “IHS”--symbolizing the name of Jesus Christ—because it was inscribed on a pediment on the stage where President Obama spoke at the university on Tuesday and the White House had asked Georgetown to cover up all signs and symbols there.

As of Wednesday afternoon, the “IHS” monogram that had previously adorned the stage at Georgetown’s Gaston Hall was still covered up--when the pediment where it had appeared was photographed by CNSNews.com.

President Obama is greeted by Georgetown University President John J. DeGioia as he arrives to deliver remarks on the economy, April 14, 2009, at Georgetown University. Georgetown had covered the symbol "IHS" on the pediment above and behind the two men. (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert) “In coordinating the logistical arrangements for yesterday’s event, Georgetown honored the White House staff’s request to cover all of the Georgetown University signage and symbols behind Gaston Hall stage,” Julie Green Bataille, associate vice president for communications at Georgetown, told CNSNews.com.

“The White House wanted a simple backdrop of flags and pipe and drape for the speech, consistent with what they’ve done for other policy speeches,” she added. “Frankly, the pipe and drape wasn’t high enough by itself to fully cover the IHS and cross above the GU seal and it seemed most respectful to have them covered so as not to be seen out of context.”

Pediment in Gaston Hall with "IHS" covered as photographed by CNSNews.com, April 15, 2009. (Photo by Penny Starr,CNSNews.com)On Wednesday, CNSNews.com inspected the pediment embedded in the wall at the back of the stage in Gaston Hall, where Obama delivered his speech. The letters “IHS” were not to be found. They appeared to be shrouded with a triangle of black-painted plywood.

Pictures of the wooden pediment prior to Obama’s speech show the letters “IHS" in gold. Many photos posted on the Internet of other events at Gaston Hall show the letters clearly.

The White House did not respond to a request from CNSNews.com to comment on the covering up of Jesus’ name at Gaston Hall.

President Obama speaking at Gaston Hall at Georgetown on April 14 with the "IHS" covered up on the pediment behind him. (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert) Georgetown, which is run by the Jesuit order, is one of the most prestigious Catholic institutions of higher education in the United States.

Roman Catholics traditionally use “IHS” as an abbreviation for Jesus’ name. According to the Catholic Encyclopedia, “St. Ignatius of Loyola adopted the monogram in his seal as general of the Society of Jesus (1541) and thus became the emblem of his institute.” The Society of Jesus is the formal name for the Jesuits.

Gaston Hall stage as it looked on the afternoon of April 15 with "IHS" still shrouded. (Photo by Penny Starr, CNSNews.com)Although the monogram was covered over on the wooden pediment at the back of the Gaston Hall stage where it would have been directly above and behind President Obama as he spoke, the letters “IHS” are posted elsewhere around the hall approximately 26 times on shields representing different parts of the United States and the world.

Obama did not mention the name of Jesus during his address. However, he did mention Christ’s Sermon on the Mount.

“There is a parable at the end of the Sermon on the Mount that tells a story of two men…‘the rain descended and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house…it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock,’” Obama said.

“We cannot rebuild this economy on the same pile of sand,” he added. “We must build our house upon a rock.”

Source: CNSNEWS
    Last edited by lukem; 04-16-2009 at 11:31 AM.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Is ANYONE surprised?
    "Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

I'm sure he thought he might burst into flames under that banner. "The power of Christ compels you"

Well, now that is two schools who have caved in to Obama's secular agenda. I was surprised about Notre Dame - this is just more of the same. Do you notice that religious leaders are bowing to demands by the government to deny their own beliefs? Rick Warren, after openly supporting Prop 8 in California, denied ever doing so (even thoug he was RECORDED and FILMED doing just that.

What power the government has, to make Christians deny their own faith!
    -= Piece Corps =-

Quote Originally Posted by Willard Of Oz View Post
    Is ANYONE surprised?
    not me... I wonder though if obama will be surprised when he finds himself burning in hell.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

This is a level of arrogance never before seen...

Who is this man to cover up art work and history that for many represent what Georgetown U. was founded on?
    It must have something to do with not wanting a hostile workplace environment.
    Maybe he felt overwhelmed by the truth of the name of the Lord Jesus Christ?
    Maybe he felt he was doing Islam a disservice by be someplace where there are the names and images of another deity and he was concerned about his standing with the other islamic nations?
    Or...maybe he was just being arrogant like Rev. Jeremiah Wright taught him.
    Either way it was a disservice to the institution that is Georgetown.
    He cares not for the principles this country was founded on.

Next He'll probably have the religiuos reference removed from all our historic buildings in DC
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

8. Georgetown

O-One
    B-Bad
    A-Awful
    M-Mistake
    A-America
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

"Render unto Ceasar..."?
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32° & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

Yep, thats because just like this stuff it just PROVES he's MUSLIM!

On November 19, He hosted a Ramadan fast-breaking dinner (an Iftar) at the White House for fifty Muslim ambassadors. The president said in his opening remarks that the United States is "made better by millions of Muslim citizens."

On October 11, when commenting on U.S. humanitarian aid to Afghanistan, He stated about Islam: "Islam is a vibrant faith. Millions of our fellow citizens are Muslim. We respect the faith. We honor its traditions."

On November 7, He hosted another Iftar at the White House "to help usher in the holy month of Ramadan."

On October 24, He released an official presidential message on Ramadan in which he said that "people who practice the Islamic faith have made great contributions to our Nation and the world."

On October 28, He hosted yet another Iftar at the White House with ambassadors and Muslim leaders. During this dinner he had a Muslim Imam lead in prayer.

On October 15, He released another official presidential message on Ramadan in which he said that "Americans who practice the Islamic faith enrich our society and help our Nation build a better future."

Oops sorry, that was Bush!

You can find any news story to make anyone look anyway you want.

You can hate Obama all you want, but constantly griping and whining will not change the facts and it simply makes our country look weak to the rest of the world.

It is not productive to expound tons of negative bullcrap about everything by reposting political propoganda while stockpiling ammo and supplies for when "the crap hits the fan".

Let's get it straight ... If the crap hits the fan, you will either decide to stand up, next to the next guy and defend AMERICA as and AMERICAN and rally around the flag and WHOEVER is leading the country at that time or you will find yourself being declared the enemy by those who do.

I was not and am not a Bush supporter, but when 9-11 struck, I too was prepared to stand with all other AMERICANS to defend this country as required, and I never wrote bullcrap criticizing the President's policies even if I did not agree with him or those policies.

There are those who say the United States is going to lose its position as the strongest country in the world ... I say they are wrong, but for only ONE reason ... because the people of this great county are the only ones who know how to band together and stand together to accomplish what MUST be done, when it needs to be done, under the established government and rule of law following the duly elected leader at that time, whomever it may be. THAT is the principle that is outlined in those documents that you so often refer to as important to you but trash nearly every day.

ARE YOU AMERICAN ... or are you NOT?

Our principles are simple, you have the RIGHT to say what you desire, as do I. You have the POWER to control your government through your ability to VOTE. You did not get your way in the last election... that means that MORE people, just like you, with the same RIGHTS as you ...DID. You have the power to change that at the next election, and that is the greatness of our system.

So HERE is the fact ... OBAMA IS THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES! He will likely be for a minimum of four years. YOUR recourse if that upsets you is to lobby YOUR representatives to impeach him for whatever reason you may feel is reasonable, but THAT is your only legal recourse. Racial innuendo, religeous fervor, invoking the name of Jesus Christ ... none of that is going to change things nor is appropriate.

Personally, I thought George W. Bush was the worst president we have ever had BUT for eight years he was MY president and as an American, for that period I respected the office... THAT is what AMERICANS do!

When I stand and place my hand over my heart to swear my alliegence to the flag and the republic to which it stands ... I MEAN IT! I will defend the constitution of this country and the leader whom a majority of my fellow citizens duly elected (that is still questionable with Bush in 2000 but I accepted it anyway).

I remember as a student in 60's someone looking at me and saying...
    "IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE WAY THE COUNTRY WORKS ... LEAVE" ...

It took fifty years but the one thing I now know ...

HE WAS RIGHT!

wolfhunter Guest
    Good points, 2Bear.

I don't agree that GWBush was our worst President, but will agree he ranks in the lower range. After all he didn't hurt the economy as much as Carter did, and didn't kill as many Constitution-following Americans as Lincoln did, but the rest of your post is on target.

Regarding the topic of this thread: Does anybody really think 0bama personally planned the stage backdrop? In the discussion on Fox&Friends today, Huckabee pointed out that some 25 year old "roadie" setting up the stage probably asked in terms of having a more uniform backdrop, not a specific request to cover a symbol with religious conotations. Now, if someone can't be quoted giving specific direction, or produce a letter of direction, I'll accept the roadie theory on this one because I can dislike 0bama's policies and practices for lots of other reasons.

edited to add: If Georgetown had not covered the symbol and it appeared in any single moment to be centered over 0bama, don't you think THAT single image would be distributed as if it were 0bama's title over his head?
    Last edited by wolfhunter; 04-17-2009 at 10:09 AM. Reason: added last line

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast