Concealed Carry Reciprocity is CURRENTLY banned under Federal Law. (Important) - Page 5
Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry Reciprocity is CURRENTLY banned under Federal Law. (Important)

1. I think now is a good time to bring this law back into the spotlight. Senator Tom Coburn (R-OK) got legislation passed and signed by President Obama (as part of the credit card bill) last session permitting firearms to be carried in national parks in accordance with State law. Also, the National Carry Reciprocity Amendment, which would have forced all States to recognize other States' CCW permits fell short of passing by only two votes. It is time to inform your representatives about this law, which effectively bans reciprocity agreements between the forty eight (48) States that have provisions for lawful CCW. Note: Even if the National Reciprocity Amendment had passed, you could still face federal charges under GFSZA for driving down the road in a neighboring State. Please start writing letters.

Wow! Thanks for the "Heads up!"

Bottom line for me is: Carry anywhere that you can fall victim to criminal harm because other than your immortal soul your life is your most important "possession". All my CHL is for is to keep me free from harassment by authorities in MOST places. And I don't carry (obviously) where there are metal detectors or pat-down searches. I'll take my day in court, with a jury of my peers over a body bag any day.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

Better Judged by 12, than carried by 6...

"The people never give up their liberties, but under some delusion." - Edmund Burke

Eagal2009 - I've read all your references and have done some additional research. I agree completely with your analysis. Thanks for the info on this.

I'll be sending a letter to my congressman and two senators, and alerting my rod and gun club members about this issue. the NRA should be on top of this. Why are they asleep at the wheel?

Again I refer everyone to the following section of the code:

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

It also exempts unloaded firearms for those who do not have permits or licenses. This law has been on the books since 1994 and has caused no real problems for anyone traveling through school zones. I believe we need to focus on more pressing issues.

I believe Texas only does reprocity agreements with states that do background checks so I think this would qualify.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

9. fed school law

ok now I am really confussed does the law apply to all persons carrying a gun or are people who are ccw authorized exemped. I have a Texas ccw

Quote Originally Posted by pilot3 View Post
    ok now I am really confussed does the law apply to all persons carrying a gun or are people who are ccw authorized exemped. I have a Texas ccw
    Think of it this way, the state (or a political subdivision) has determined that your states permit (license) meets their requirements and that means you are "capable" of carrying a weapon. They then accept your permit (license) thus granting you a permit (license) within their state. This law has been around for quite sometime and was aimed primarily at criminals carrying through a school zone so that additional charges could be levied against them. Do you really want to write the current representatives about this and possibly get one of them to try an anti approach? If reciprocity were illegal the feds would have already attacked it, especially with the current administration in charge. Sixteen years is a long time for a law to be on the books and not used to stop reciprocity if it could.

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    Think of it this way, the state (or a political subdivision) has determined that your states permit (license) meets their requirements and that means you are "capable" of carrying a weapon. They then accept your permit (license) thus granting you a permit (license) within their state. This law has been around for quite sometime and was aimed primarily at criminals carrying through a school zone so that additional charges could be levied against them. Do you really want to write the current representatives about this and possibly get one of them to try an anti approach? If reciprocity were illegal the feds would have already attacked it, especially with the current administration in charge. Sixteen years is a long time for a law to be on the books and not used to stop reciprocity if it could.
    "The Second Amendment IS my Concealed Carry Permit" - Ted Nugent

"The people never give up their liberties, but under some delusion." - Edmund Burke

Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast