The Reply My Congressman Sent Me

Thread: The Reply My Congressman Sent Me

1. The Reply My Congressman Sent Me

I sent Congressman Boozman a letter reflecting my concerns about some of the dangerous legislation folks in our government has been scheming up. While my letter did not specifically address the 2nd Amendment I did mention the fear I have of losing the Freedoms recognized in the Bill of Rights. Notice I did not say "granted". I said recognized. These rights are "endowed" by our Creator. Anyway, Boozman seems to be on the same page that I am on with respect to the 1st and 2nd Amendments.

As a caveat, I have never received a reply from any of my state reps or our governor when I contacted them about my concerns. However, both of our US Senators and my congressmen have always responded.

April 23, 2009

Dear Mr. ******on

Thank you for contacting to express your opposition to hate crimes legislation. It is always good to hear from you.

As you may know, several pieces of legislation that deal with hate crimes have been introduced in the House of Representatives during the 111th Congress. H.R. 1913, the "Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act," was introduced by Congressman John Conyers (D-MI) on April 2, 2009. This legislation would grant local law enforcement greater technical and monetary support for investigating and prosecuting "hate crimes" that involve discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability. While I firmly believe that all crimes should be investigated thoroughly and equally, I also believe special rights and protections should not be granted to any person based on race, religion, gender or sexual orientation. For these reasons I have voted against this legislation in the past and will continue to do so in the future.

In addition, H.R. 256 was introduced by Congresswoman Sheila Jackson-Lee (D-TX) on January 7, 2009. This legislation would make it a crime, punishable by fines or imprisonment, to willfully cause bodily injury to a person based on their faith, race, national origin, gender, disability or sexual orientation. While the intent of this law is to punish physical attacks against these individuals, many are concerned because of legal precedents that similar "hate crime" legislation has led to in other countries. In countries such as Canada and Great Britain, "verbal violence" against a person based on faith, race, national origin, gender, disability or sexual orientation has become criminal under law. This brings up serious concerns for protecting Americans' freedom of speech. Please be assured that I will oppose this legislation and vote to ensure that our right to free speech is protected.

Again, thank you for contacting me on this very important issue. Please be sure to visit our website at U.S. Congressman John Boozman : 3rd District Of Arkansas. I look forward to your continued correspondence.

Sincerely,

John Boozman
    Member of Congress

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hate crime is a catch all phrase like Assault weapon, and needs to be stricken form the books...

All crimes are caused by hate or greed, and any weapon can be used for assault...
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century
    "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!" Father John Corapi.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
    Hate crime is a catch all phrase like Assault weapon, and needs to be stricken form the books...

All crimes are caused by hate or greed, and any weapon can be used for assault...
    +1

Last time I checked, all crime is ill related - from petty theft to murder. So, if there is a "hate" crime, is there a "love" crime too?
    My Website: Nerd with a .45

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    +1

Last time I checked, all crime is ill related - from petty theft to murder. So, if there is a "hate" crime, is there a "love" crime too?
    no kidding.. would love to see some one bring that up.. how about crime is crime and criminals should be punished?
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post

!!!WELL PUT!!!...I'd recommend this as quote of the week if there was one

Yours was more encouraging than mine. Here was my response from Senator Claire McCaskell (D-MO)

Dear Mr. Xxxxxx:

Thank you for contacting me regarding gun safety. I appreciate hearing from you, and I welcome the chance to respond.

Over the past year, a number of tragic shootings have occurred throughout the nation. As these incidents refocus national attention on the gun safety debate, we should strive to achieve common ground on the issue and we must take great care not to politicize the suffering of others.

Protecting innocent victims while at the same time protecting the gun ownership rights of law-abiding citizens is obviously still a work in progress. As a former prosecutor, I think we must do a better job on background checks for court-determined, dangerous mental conditions at the time of all gun sales. Also, I think we should consider placing certain restrictions on assault weapons and closing the gun show loophole. However, it is important that any attempt to promote appropriate gun safety measures must not infringe upon law-abiding citizens’ right to own firearms or unduly burden the hunting and sportsmanship culture of Missouri. As your United States Senator, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind anytime Congress considers gun safety legislation.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future regarding other matters of interest or concern to you.

All best,
    Senator Claire McCaskill

Here is what I just wrote back to her:
    Dear Senator McCaskill,

I wanted to respond briefly to "closing the gun show loophole." I present this fact from John Lott, Jr., senior research scientist at the University of Maryland:

"But very few criminals get their guns from gun shows: a U.S. Justice Department survey of 18,000 state prison inmates showed that less than one percent (0.7%) of prisoners had obtained their gun from a gun show. Even adding flea markets and gun shows together raises the number to just 1.7 percent. There is not a single academic study showing that regulating private individuals selling their own guns — the so-called “gun show loophole” — reduces any type of violent crime. What the regulations have accomplished is cutting the number of gun shows by 25 percent."

And nobody has ever defined what an "assault weapon" is. They do not perform any differently, are not chambered for any round unavailable on another rifle, nor do they shoot any faster than any other semiautomatic rifle. They are simply a semi-automatic rifle, not a machine gun (which are not available for civilian ownership anyhow, without costly licensing and stringent monitoring from the BATF.)

That being said, I wholeheartedly support keeping weapons out of the hands of felons, and the vigorous punishment of those who use a gun in the commission of a crime, or possess a gun unlawfully. However, I think we already have laws in place to deal with those problems, which are simply not being enforced, or are being under-enforced.

Respectfully,

Xxxxx X. Xxxxxx
    When it comes to handguns, there are Sig Sauers, then there's everything else.