McCarthy (D-NY) to introduce assault weapons ban Next Week

Thread: McCarthy (D-NY) to introduce assault weapons ban Next Week

McCarthy (D-NY) to introduce assault weapons ban Next Week

Wednesday, May 6th, 2009

Gun Ban McCarthy (D-NY) to introduce assault weapons ban Next Week:

Gillibrand to face another test on gun control BY TOM BRUNE |[email protected]:13 PM EDT, May 6, 2009 WASHINGTON - Since her appointment to the Senate, one-time NRA favorite Kirsten Gillibrand has passed just about every test on guns set by Rep. Carolyn McCarthy - but that might change next week.

As the junior senator from New York, the upstate Democrat has undergone a transformation, moving quickly in the past three months away from her House record that won the NRA's top rating while remaining a supporter of Second Amendment rights to gun ownership.

She even jumped ahead of McCarthy, who reintroduced her bill closing the gun-show loophole at a news conference Wednesday, by co-sponsoring the Senate version of that measure two weeks ago.

But McCarthy said that next week she plans to introduce an assault weapons ban - legislation that is anathema to the NRA and that could pose a problem for Gillibrand.

"I think the assault weapons bill will be a test," McCarthy said Wednesday in an interview.

Gillibrand had no comment Wednesday on legislation that hasn't been introduced, said her spokesman Matt Canter.

"The senator is focused on working with anti-crime advocates, New Yorkers Against Gun Violence, the Brady Campaign and [New York City Police] Commissioner Ray Kelly and others on anti-trafficking legislation to stop the flow of illegal guns," he said.

Measure for measure, Gillibrand has matched McCarthy's support for gun control since being appointed in January, when she was bitterly attacked by McCarthy on guns.

Most recently, Gillibrand signed on to the Senate version of the bill that McCarthy and Rep. Mike Castle (R-Del.) introduced Wednesday, which would require dealers at gun shows to conduct background checks.

The bill could be crowded out by an already overflowing agenda, McCarthy admitted. Its fate is largely up to Congressional leaders, President Barack Obama and, as always, opposition from the powerful National Rifle Association.

McCarthy, the seventh term Mineola Democrat whose signature issue is gun control, Wednesday acknowledged the shift by Gillibrand to win approval from gun-control groups.

"She actually has been signing things we have been sending over to her," McCarthy said. "And I am very happy about it. I just want to make sure she stays there."

So she said she will keep up the pressure on Gillibrand.

In addition to the assault gun ban, McCarthy said she still intends to run a Democratic primary challenge in 2010.

But she said she will step aside if someone younger and just as passionate about gun control announces for the seat.

From the start, McCarthy said, "I felt I had to speak up, but I was hoping somebody else would step forward to run. To be honest with you, yes, I think somebody younger should run. Hopefully they'll be there a long time to represent the state of New York."...

Gillibrand to face another test on gun control -- Newsday.com

Can any good thing come from the Kennedy family? Let me answer my own question. NO!
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7