National Rifle Association v. Chicago, 08-1497 SCOTUS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: National Rifle Association v. Chicago, 08-1497 SCOTUS

(CHICAGO GUN BAN)

May be the next big Second Amendment Case before SCOTUS...
    As early as THIS SEPTEMBER...

Associated Press 6/5/2009:
    Rifle group appeals handgun ban to high court - Illinois | State & regional - Belleville News-Democrat

We certainly don't want Sotomayor confirmed by the Senate...

With this potentially being her first case, that she has already made a related anti-constitutional ruling on, with a nearly identical case...

Agreed, I have got to send a second set of notes to Michigan's notso dynamic dual about the new nominee. We certainly do not want her vetting process to start until late fall.
    Semper Fi

Hopefully it would end up ala Heller in a 5-4 win for sanity.

If she is confirmed she should recuse herself from the case.

Exclamation she could but she won't

Quote Originally Posted by MADnMO View Post
    If she is confirmed she should recuse herself from the case.
    Why on earth would a wise latina woman pass up a chance to make a better judgement than a white male?
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    Why on earth would a wise latina woman pass up a chance to make a better judgement than a white male?
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    Yes I know. But she still should. LOL.

9. In all fairness, Sotomayor will probably be more moderate than Souter. Her presence would not have changed the Heller decisioin. I think she is about as good as we are going to get from this administration. About the only way we could do better is if she were 80 years old.
    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Sotomayor is exponentially worse then Souter as is reaffirmed by all reputable Second Amendment Scholars, and subject matter experts including but not limited to the NRA, GOA, SAF, JPFO, David Kopel...

Stay on your U.S. Senators, about adamantly opposing the Confirmation of Sototmayor...
    http://www.senate.gov/general/contac...nators_cfm.cfm
    http://www.capwiz.com/nra/dbq/officials/

SAF APPEALS CHICAGO CASE TO U.S. SUPREME COURT
    For Immediate Release: 6/9/2009

BELLEVUE, WA – The Second Amendment Foundation today appealed its lawsuit against the City of Chicago’s handgun ban to the United States Supreme Court.

The case, which began as McDonald v. City of Chicago and is now consolidated with a similar lawsuit filed by the National Rifle Association, was filed last year within an hour of the Supreme Court’s landmark Second Amendment ruling in District of Columbia v. **** Anthony Heller.

In the Chicago case – which can be followed at ChicagoGunCase.com – SAF is asking the Supreme Court for a definitive ruling that the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms is incorporated against the states by the Fourteenth Amendment’s Privileges or Immunities or Due Process clauses. Earlier this year, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco ruled that the Second Amendment is incorporated as a limit on state and local governments.

“We know we are going to win this case,” said SAF founder Alan M. Gottlieb. “States should not be able to take away rights guaranteed by the federal constitution.”

“Like any other citizen,” said plaintiff Otis McDonald, “I would like to be able to protect myself from drug dealers and gang bangers who make it almost impossible to even go to the grocery store.”...

SAF Press Release :: SAF APPEALS CHICAGO CASE TO U.S. SUPREME COURT

11. Quote Originally Posted by Bohemian View Post
    Sotomayor is exponentially worse then Souter as is reaffirmed by all reputable Second Amendment Scholars, and subject matter experts including but not limited to the NRA, GOA, SAF, JPFO, David Kopel...

I would respectfully request you cite your sources. I have seen nothing that idicates she is WORSE than Souter on 2nd ammendment rights and gun control issues. I think they will be about the same, bad....

The only instance I can see Souter voting pro gun was in the case where a career criminal was caught carrying a gun, which is an obvious attempt to get the legislature to pass more restrictive laws.
    David Souter on Gun Control

IMO, this will not change the balance in any real way.
    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast