MESSAGE I RECIEVED FROM MEL MARTINEZ ABOUT the nomination of Judge Sonia Sotomayor

Thread: MESSAGE I RECIEVED FROM MEL MARTINEZ ABOUT the nomination of Judge Sonia Sotomayor

MESSAGE I RECIEVED FROM MEL MARTINEZ ABOUT the nomination of Judge Sonia Sotomayor

Below is a response to the recent comments I received from you:

Dear Mr. Richards:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the nomination of Judge Sonia Sotomayor to serve as Associate Justice on the United States Supreme Court. I appreciate hearing from you and would like to respond to your concerns.

The position of Supreme Court justice is one of the highest and most respected in the land. The decisions of this Court resonate at the very foundations of the beliefs upon which our nation is built. When it comes to the role of federal judges, I agree with Chief Justice Robert's view: they should be like umpires and simply call balls and strikes. Judges have a duty of interpreting laws, not writing them.

When it comes to judicial candidates, we ought to look at experience, fairness, impartiality, temperament, and knowledge of the law. I look forward to participating in a fair and thorough process as the Senate conducts its constitutionally-required examination of Judge Sotomayor's qualifications for serving on the nation's highest court.

Over the coming weeks, I will be examining Judge Sotomayor's record closely to determine whether she exhibits a proper understanding of the role of a judge within our constitutional structure. At this time, I have a variety of questions regarding some of Judge Sotomayor's past public statements. In addition, the Senate Judiciary Committee will be conducting their own examinations and hearings. Judge Sotomayor has been involved with some 3,600 decisions all of which need to be review before her hearing with the Judiciary Committee. For now, it is important to treat Judge Sonia Sotomayor with dignity and respect. Her personal story is one of great accomplishments and a source of inspiration; it demonstrates the great opportunities our nation has to offer to its citizens.

Again, thank you for sharing your views of our Nations Supreme Court. if you have any additional questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact me. In addition, for more information about issues and activities important to Florida, please sign up for my weekly newsletter at United States Senator Mel Martinez.

Sincerely,

Mel Martinez
    United States Senator

Quote Originally Posted by RRichards3 View Post
    Message I received from Florida Senator Mel Martinez about Sotomayor nomination

I got the same response from Senator Martinez. I also recieved the following email from Texas Senator John Cornyn regarding the same matter...

"Last week I met with Judge Sonia Sotomayor, President Obama’s nominee to the United States Supreme Court, in my Washington office. During our conversation, I assured her that the confirmation process will be fair and dignified, a courtesy that has not always been shown to past Republican nominees. I have significant questions with some of Judge Sotomayor’s court rulings and statements, and I intend to ask her about those thoroughly during her confirmation hearing, which is scheduled for the third week in July." (More)

Quote Originally Posted by matthewaynelson View Post
    ... a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court is a crucially important matter. I wrote my Florida (and Texas) State Senators on May 29 and encouraged them to REJECT any individual unqualified to serve as a Supreme Court Justice.

However, there is now another reason to contact our REP’s regarding this matter. If Obama and his cronies have their way, the Sotomayor confirmation process is going to be slammed through at lightning speeds. We need to encourage our Senators to force a slowed down process that will allow for a complete and thorough examination of Sotomayor. I believe if that is done, they will have no choice but reject this appointee.
    UPDATE :: Saturday, June 13, 2009 10:20AM

This morning I received this email from Texas Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison:

Dear Friend:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the nomination of Judge Sonia Sotomayor to the United State Supreme Court. I welcome your thoughts and comments.

As a member of the U.S. Senate, I have been privileged to participate in the confirmation of four Supreme Court Justices, including that of Chief Justice John Roberts. The Constitution requires the Senate to “advise” the President on who will best uphold our Constitution in the nation’s highest court and to provide “consent” to the candidates who take the bench. Senators have a constitutional responsibility to carefully consider each nomination. This is a duty that I take seriously.

There are some facts we already know about Judge Sotomayor. Through personal tenacity and hard work, Judge Sotomayor overcame many challenges to study at some of the nation’s finest institutions, and embarked on a successful career as a district attorney, private practice attorney, and finally a federal judge. Her life story is a shining example of equal opportunity for Americans, and it reminds all of us that for those who work hard, no obstacle is insurmountable and no aspiration is too grand.

While there is no question that Judge Sotomayor brings a wealth of judicial experience to this process, we would be doing the American public and Judge Sotomayor a disservice if we did not conduct a thorough review of her record. This year, Senators will pore over thousands of documents and analyze more than 3,000 decisions that comprise the experience of Judge Sotomayor. I will be looking for evidence of impartiality as well as legal expertise, a demonstrated commitment to the rule of law, insights into her personal integrity and temperament, and, most importantly, her judicial philosophy.

As I review Judge Sotomayor’s record, one of the issues I will consider is her demonstrated stance on the Second Amendment. I am a staunch supporter of the right to keep and bear arms, and I firmly believe that the framers intended this right for the individual. This opinion was upheld by the Supreme Court last year in the case of District of Columbia v. Heller. Judge Sotomayor joined an opinion earlier this year that suggested that the Second Amendment is not a fundamental right, and is therefore not binding on the states. I hope to learn more from the judge about her Second Amendment beliefs during her confirmation hearings. With this issue potentially coming before the Supreme Court, it is critically important we confirm a Justice who believes the Second Amendment is a fundamental individual right so that no state or city, nor the federal government, may ever infringe on this liberty.

As the Senate examines Sonia Sotomayor’s record – and gives her ample opportunity to address our concerns – I expect a respectful, dignified, and above all, fair process that befits our Constitutional responsibility. I appreciate hearing from you, and I hope that you will not hesitate to keep in touch on any issue that is important to you.

Sincerely,
    Kay Bailey Hutchison

Of the three notes back from Senators thus far, I appreicate Senator Hutchison's the most. She speaks of protecting the Second Amendment, being fair but tough, and for taking as much time as is needed to determine whether Sotomayor is qualified or not for the position. Thank you Senator Hutchison! :)
    Blessed be my God, my mountain, who trains me to fight fair and well! Psalm 144 (msg)
    ...follow me at twitter.com/matthewaynelson

recieved from sen bill nelson 6-12-09

Dear Mr. Richards:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the nomination of Judge Sonia Sotomayor to be the next Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.

President Obama has picked someone with extensive judicial experience and a keen intellect to serve on the Supreme Court. I'm told she brings an open mind to each case she hears and decides them on their merits. I look forward to a more detailed review of her record during the confirmation process.

I appreciate your letter. Please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Sincerely,
    Senator Bill Nelson

P.S. From time to time, I compile electronic news briefs highlighting key issues and hot topics of particular importance to Floridians. If you'd like to receive these e-briefs, visit my Web site and sign up for them at Bill Nelson, U.S. Senator from Florida: eBriefs

Got the same note from Senator Nelson. Not so excited about his response, you?

President Obama has picked someone with extensive judicial experience and a keen intellect to serve on the Supreme Court. I'm told she brings an open mind to each case she hears and decides them on their merits. I look forward to a more detailed review of her record during the confirmation process.

I get the feeling Senator Nelson is more interested in helping Obama get Sotomayor confirmed than he is in making sure she is fit for the job. :(
    Blessed be my God, my mountain, who trains me to fight fair and well! Psalm 144 (msg)
    ...follow me at twitter.com/matthewaynelson

i got the same feeling

I'm told she brings an open mind to each case she hears and decides them on their merits.
    What concerns me is the "I'm Told" part of his statement, sounds like he hasnt done any research on his own... Just taking someones elses word on it.