National Concealed Carry Reciprocity Vote Imminent - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: National Concealed Carry Reciprocity Vote Imminent

From the wording of the bill, it seems like that non-resident permits will not be honored nationwide as the text states you must have a permit from your home state. I live in Maryland and will never be able to get a permit here unless they change the law. Sigh. This bill does nothing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Abacab View Post
    From the wording of the bill, it seems like that non-resident permits will not be honored nationwide as the text states you must have a permit from your home state. I live in Maryland and will never be able to get a permit here unless they change the law. Sigh. This bill does nothing for me.
    Incorrect sir.
    ...and is carrying a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of any State...
    There is no mention that it must be a resident permit. You could get a NR permit from one of roughly 20 states that issue NR permits and be able to use it to carry in MD.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post
    Incorrect sir. There is no mention that it must be a resident permit. You could get a NR permit from one of roughly 20 states that issue NR permits and be able to use it to carry in MD.
    I guess I am getting a different version of the bill's text. Can you point me in the direction of the text that you have read? I really hope you are right but everything I pull up seems to suggest that you need to have one from your home state.

I have several non-resident permits (FL, VA, NH, CT, ME) so I would LOVE if this would let me carry in Maryland.

Long story short, I want to believe you, just point to the current and correct language of the bill!

Editorial
    Gun Crazy in the Senate

Published: July 20, 2009

On Wednesday, the Senate is expected to vote on the latest assault on public safety in the name of gun ownership. Introduced as an amendment to the military’s budget bill by Senator John Thune, a Republican of South Dakota, this radical measure would nullify the laws of almost every state, subjecting police officers to greater risk and increasing the potential for gun violence.
    Nearly all states issue licenses to carry concealed firearms, but the criteria for granting such permits vary widely, and it is now, sensibly, up to each state to decide whether to accept another state’s permits.
    At least 35 states prevent people from carrying concealed weapons if they have certain misdemeanor convictions. At least 31 states prohibit alcohol abusers from obtaining a concealed carry permit and require gun safety training. The Thune amendment would force states with more restrictive standards to accept concealed carry permits from states with less stringent rules — in effect giving the lax rules national reach.
    Passage of the amendment would make it much harder for law enforcement to distinguish between legal and illegal possession of a firearm. It would be a boon for illegal gun traffickers, making it easier to transport weapons across state lines without being caught.
    Proponents of Senator Thune’s attempt to create the equivalent of a national concealed carry system claim it would reduce crime. But the evidence shows otherwise. Between May 2007 and April 2009, people holding concealed handgun permits killed at least seven police officers and 44 private citizens, according to a new study by the Violence Policy Center, a gun control advocacy organization. Other examples of crimes committed by concealed-carry licensees are plentiful.
    For Alaska to permit residents who have committed repeated violent misdemeanors or who have committed misdemeanor sex offenses against minors to carry a concealed weapon is terrible public policy. For the Senate to extend that permit to 47 other states would be the height of irresponsibility, as well as a breathtaking violation of legitimate states’ rights.
    Senators Charles Schumer of New York and Frank Lautenberg of New Jersey, both Democrats, are leading the fight in the Senate to defeat the Thune amendment. We fervently hope they succeed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/21/opinion/21tue2.html

Typical New York media Bulls***.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Abacab View Post
    I guess I am getting a different version of the bill's text. Can you point me in the direction of the text that you have read? I really hope you are right but everything I pull up seems to suggest that you need to have one from your home state.

I have several non-resident permits (FL, VA, NH, CT, ME) so I would LOVE if this would let me carry in Maryland.

Long story short, I want to believe you, just point to the current and correct language of the bill!
    As I understand it, Thune and Vitter are proposing their bill, S.845(click here), as the amendment. If that is true and the wording has not been changed (thus far I have not heard otherwise) then it would include NR permits.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

I am a little surprised that both SC Senators have signed on as co-sponsors since SC is one of the main states that the bill is aimed. The SC legislature went through this very thing about a year ago and refused to grant full recognition of all state permits so in effect the feds are thumbing thier noses at the state legislature and sayng the people of the state don't want it then we will make you do it. (I know that this is actually incorrect but is according to the law)

Both Georgia Senators are cosponsors of the bill. I've already written and said thanks. Now I wonder, if this bill passes, how long it will be tied up in court battles by the states opposing it?

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    I am a little surprised that both SC Senators have signed on as co-sponsors since SC is one of the main states that the bill is aimed. The SC legislature went through this very thing about a year ago and refused to grant full recognition of all state permits so in effect the feds are thumbing thier noses at the state legislature and sayng the people of the state don't want it then we will make you do it. (I know that this is actually incorrect but is according to the law)
    I have always been curious, SC being a pretty conservative and seemingly gun-friendly state, why they are reciprocal with so few states, have that stupid "resident-permit-only" requirement, and only issue SC permits to residents and property owners.

Any insight on that?

Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post
    I have always been curious, SC being a pretty conservative and seemingly gun-friendly state, why they are reciprocal with so few states, have that stupid "resident-permit-only" requirement, and only issue SC permits to residents and property owners.

Any insight on that?
    I am going to put it very bluntly, it is a racial thing and has been for years. The black legislative caucus and NAACP have fought any changes very hard in SC and both carry a large amount of power in this state. I watched the recent debate on the school carry bill the only way they got that to pass was with that rediculous glove compartment carry. There are some who are going to jump up and try to blame others such as the NRA but that is the real reason.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    I am going to put it very bluntly, it is a racial thing and has been for years. The black legislative caucus and NAACP have fought any changes very hard in SC and both carry a large amount of power in this state. I watched the recent debate on the school carry bill the only way they got that to pass was with that rediculous glove compartment carry. There are some who are going to jump up and try to blame others such as the NRA but that is the real reason.
    I guess that then is your answer. The state legislature was pushed around by the NAACP. DeMint and Graham are both pretty pro-gun, and they aren't really losing any votes by pissing off the NAACP.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast