National Concealed Carry Reciprocity Vote Imminent - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: National Concealed Carry Reciprocity Vote Imminent

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ricbak View Post
    Editorial
    Gun Crazy in the Senate

Published: July 20, 2009

On Wednesday, the Senate is expected to vote on the latest assault on public safety in the name of gun ownership. Introduced as an amendment to the military’s budget bill by Senator John Thune, a Republican of South Dakota, this radical measure would nullify the laws of almost every state, subjecting police officers to greater risk and increasing the potential for gun violence.
    Nearly all states issue licenses to carry concealed firearms, but the criteria for granting such permits vary widely, and it is now, sensibly, up to each state to decide whether to accept another state’s permits.
    At least 35 states prevent people from carrying concealed weapons if they have certain misdemeanor convictions. At least 31 states prohibit alcohol abusers from obtaining a concealed carry permit and require gun safety training. The Thune amendment would force states with more restrictive standards to accept concealed carry permits from states with less stringent rules — in effect giving the lax rules national reach.
    Passage of the amendment would make it much harder for law enforcement to distinguish between legal and illegal possession of a firearm. It would be a boon for illegal gun traffickers, making it easier to transport weapons across state lines without being caught.
    Proponents of Senator Thune’s attempt to create the equivalent of a national concealed carry system claim it would reduce crime. But the evidence shows otherwise. Between May 2007 and April 2009, people holding concealed handgun permits killed at least seven police officers and 44 private citizens, according to a new study by the Violence Policy Center, a gun control advocacy organization. Other examples of crimes committed by concealed-carry licensees are plentiful.
    For Alaska to permit residents who have committed repeated violent misdemeanors or who have committed misdemeanor sex offenses against minors to carry a concealed weapon is terrible public policy. For the Senate to extend that permit to 47 other states would be the height of irresponsibility, as well as a breathtaking violation of legitimate states’ rights.
    Senators Charles Schumer of New York and Frank Lautenberg of New Jersey, both Democrats, are leading the fight in the Senate to defeat the Thune amendment. We fervently hope they succeed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/21/opinion/21tue2.html

Typical New York media Bulls***.
    "Between May 2007 and April 2009, people holding concealed handgun permits killed at least seven police officers and 44 private citizens, according to a new study by the Violence Policy Center, a gun control advocacy organization. Other examples of crimes committed by concealed-carry licensees are plentiful. "

This study from the Violence Policy Center is most likely one sided and bias. I expect there are some actual records somewhere that compare abuse to actual benifits achieved by Concealed Carry.

How many Nation wide have a concealed carry licence?

How many lives have been saved?

How many rapes, robberies, or assults have been foiled?

compared to:

How many accidental cc deaths or elligal activities by cc owners?

If I had to confront a person with a gun, I know I would feel much better knowing he or she has had gun training and a background check.

I fired off a letter to my two senators!!.But we can drive from state to state trusting in state standard.
    So really whats the big deal about a national concealed carry permit reciprocity in washington.Lasted I checked we have more car accidents then shootings nationally.....

To be clear... this is not a Constitutional Amendment...

and in my view neither the Fed or the States or any other municipality have the authority to say whether or not we can carry concealed or open, or regulate it in anyway, shape or form...

U.S. Senate To Vote On National Right-To-Carry
    Reciprocity Amendment Early This Week

Contact Your U.S. Senators TODAY And Urge Them To Support Your Right To Self-Defense by voting YES on the Thune-Vitter Amendment!

July 21, 2009

The U.S. Senate is now considering the National Defense Authorization Act (S. 1390). As a part of the consideration of that legislation, Senators John Thune (R-SD) and David Vitter (R-LA) will offer an amendment this week to provide for interstate recognition of Right-to-Carry permits. There is a very high likelihood of a Senate floor vote on this important and timely pro-gun reform between now and Wednesday.

Now is the time for Congress to recognize that the right to self-defense does not end at state lines. Under the Thune-Vitter amendment, an individual who has met the requirements for a carry permit, or who is otherwise allowed by his home state's state law to carry a firearm, would be authorized to carry a firearm for protection in any other state that issues such permits, subject to the laws of the state in which the firearm is carried.

Contrary to "states' rights" claims from opponents who usually favor sweeping federal gun control, the amendment is a legitimate exercise of Congress's constitutional power to protect the fundamental rights of citizens (including the right to keep and bear arms and the right of personal mobility). States would still have the authority to regulate the time, place and manner in which handguns are carried.

Expanding Right-to-Carry will enhance public safety, and certainly poses no threat to the public. Criminals are deterred from attempting crimes when they know or suspect that their prospective victims are armed. A study for the Department of Justice found that 40 percent of felons had not committed crimes because they feared the prospective victims were armed. The Thune-Vitter amendment recognizes that competent, responsible, law-abiding Americans still deserve our trust and confidence when they cross state lines. Passing interstate Right-to-Carry legislation will help further reduce crime by deterring criminals, and -- most important of all -- will protect the right of honest Americans to protect themselves if deterrence fails.

The Thune-Vitter Amendment represents a giant step forward in the protection of the basic right to self-defense. Its passage will recognize that the rights of law-abiding Right-to-Carry permit holders should be respected, even when they travel outside their home state.

Gun control groups, including New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg's "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" are running ads trying to scare your lawmakers and the American people into opposing this crucial Right-to-Carry reform. It is critical that your U.S. Senators hear from you immediately.

Please be sure to contact both of your U.S. Senators today, and urge them to cosponsor and support the Thune-Vitter interstate right to carry recipocity amendment. E-mail and call them immediately! To find contact information for your U.S. Senators, please click here, or call (202) 224-3121.

Positioning has already started for a major battle on this issue. Even if it passes it would be some time before it became law.

Senate Democrats Battle Concealed Weapons Amendment - Political News - FOXNews.com

Defeated by two votes. Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Abacab View Post
    Defeated by two votes. Damn.
    Actually it was a slightly wider margin than that. 58 to 39.

United States Senator - John Thune

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    Actually it was a slightly wider margin than that. 58 to 39.

United States Senator - John Thune
    It needed two more votes to defeat the filibuster. 60 votes are needed for that. It would have then been attached to the defense bill.

And one of those NO votes was my Senator of Lugar, which completely baffles me, since Indiana already respects all other gun carry permits. An AYE vote would not have impacted Indiana at all. All he did was to undercut the ability of Hoosiers to take our personal protection permits into another state with a concealed carry license law but with a recalcitrant AG refusing Indiana reciprocity.

I already sent him an e-mail telling him he can't count on my vote ever again.

And now he's got a note up on his web page saying he'll vote to affirm Sotomayor. Lovely. Conservative Democrats can be counted on where Liberal Republicans cannot.
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

Cathy,

How do you know which senators voted no (or, did not vote)? I looked at govtrack.us (S. 1390: National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2010 (GovTrack.us)) but couldn't find the voting details. I know both of my senators voted for it, but I'd like to know who the 3 no-voters were.
    SC CWP
    NH non-res CWP
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralSumter View Post
    Cathy,

How do you know which senators voted no (or, did not vote)? I looked at govtrack.us (S. 1390: National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2010 (GovTrack.us)) but couldn't find the voting details. I know both of my senators voted for it, but I'd like to know who the 3 no-voters were.
    U.S. Senate: Legislation & Records Home > Votes > Roll Call Vote

The rights of the elites win again. Too bad I don't have cronyism and nepotism on my side in Maryland.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast