Letter from Congressman Jason Chaffetz

Thread: Letter from Congressman Jason Chaffetz

Letter from Congressman Jason Chaffetz

(Remember this thread Festus set up: Let's try this - Everyone Sending The Second Amendment on July 4th. I sent snail mail and electronic mail to all of my United States and Utah Representatives in both the Senate and House.)

I had posted the reply I got from Congressman Matheson in a different thread. Today, I got two letters, one from Congressman Chaffetz and one from Senator Hatch (which I will post as a separate thread). Below is the reply from Chaffetz. Even though my letter to him only quoted the Second Amendment, his response to me is focused on HR 45. I really like this letter. He's won my heart.

July 15, 2009

Dear (my name),

Thank you for taking the time to write me regarding HR 45 and its assignment to the House Judiciary Committee. I will not be able to support this bill.

As you may know, this bill calls for all handgun owners to obtain a license from the federal government. Gun owners would be required to submit an application that would include, among many other things: a photo; an address; a thumbprint; a completed, written firearm safety test; private mental health records; and a fee.

This bill also makes it illegal to transfer ownership of a qualifying firearm to anyone who is not a licensed gun dealer or collector (with very few exceptions); requires qualifying firearm owners to report all transfers to the attorney general's database; and requires gun owners to record a gun loss or theft within 72 hours, or a change of address within 60 days.

In short, the author of this bill seems to have either forgotten or not received word that the Supreme Court recently confirmed in DC v. Heller what we already knew -- that the right to bear arms is an individual right and the Second Amendment is just as much a part of the Bill of Rights as any of the other amendments.

Interestingly, it appears that in addition to severely curtailing citizens Second Amendment rights, compliance with the inspection and licensing provisions of this bill would require citizens to surrender their Fourth Amendment rights against unreasonable search and seizure.

I certainly sympathize with those who want to reduce the number of gun deaths in this country. I feel for the family and friends of Blair Holt, the namesake of this bill who was tragically killed by gunfire in 2007. But I have taken an oath to support and defend the Constitution. I cannot support legislation as flagrantly unconstitutional as HR 45.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. I fully support the Second Amendment and will always fight to protect it. If you have any other concerns or ideas please feel free to contact me again through my website: Congressman Jason Chaffetz, Representing the 3rd District of Utah.

Sincerely,

(signature)

Jason Chaffetz
    Member of Congress

you do know that it is simply a canned response that one of his interns or even a computer program sent back to you based on key words from your original email?

just want to make sure you know they dont read the emails we send them directly.

Quote Originally Posted by MikieTaps View Post
    you do know that it is simply a canned response that one of his interns or even a computer program sent back to you based on key words from your original email?

just want to make sure you know they dont read the emails we send them directly.
    That very well maybe...however even if it is, he must still support it if they are writing that. I have written many letters and received very negative responses disagreeing with me (which is fine).
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

If you are getting lots of people to contact congress/senate it is better to hand write a note. They have to keep all correspondence sent to them from their constituents.. Boxes and boxes of them. They do not have the same requirement with e-mail and it's harder to see the volume..

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

great response. I like the part where he wrote "I have taken an oath to support and defend the Constitution". that is a big problem I am seeing.. these people in office trying to take away our rights don't even recognize the fact that they took an oath to support and defend the Constitution. those people need to be voted out quick!
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MikieTaps View Post

Well, of course. However, these three letters i received were most likely in response to the actual letters I sent them (although I suppose they could very well be responding to the emails I also sent which are virtually identical to the snail mail letters). Regardless, like capo2186 said:
    Quote Originally Posted by capo2186 View Post
    That very well maybe...however even if it is, he must still support it if they are writing that.
    It is interesting to see how they respond to a letter/email quoting the Second Amendment. It is a good way to see what they claim to believe. Now we'll have to watch their voting records....

- Ceicei

News flash... you never know when they are going to read their email and when they will not...

In the last year I have received phone calls, following emails, faxes, letters, from U.S. Senator(s) John Ensign, Harry Reid... My former Congressman Jon Porter and current Congresswoman Dina Titus...
    and their staff...

Jon Porter had telephonic question and answer town hall meetings that I personally participated in...

That's at the Federal level...

At the State and local level I almost always hear back personally, by telephone, email and snail mail...

Perhaps it has something to do with I always close my letters with...
    Please phone me if you would like to discuss this further...

John McCain once said something to the effect that he counts every contact he receives from a constituent as the opinion of 1000 of his constituents...

Over the years I have come to believe, that he is not the only one, as I tell my representatives when I agree with them and when I don't...

Additionally, it should be further noted that every answered letter, becomes a part of the national archives and public record...

IF WE DO NOTHING, WE CAN ONLY SAY WE DID NOTHING...

good email. I wish all senators and congressmen felt this way about the 2nd ammendment.. Good post.