(Remember this thread Festus set up: Let's try this - Everyone Sending The Second Amendment on July 4th. I sent snail mail and electronic mail to all of my United States and Utah Representatives in both the Senate and House.)

I got a third letter (one from Matheson, one from Chaffetz, and one from Hatch). All I sent to them was simply quoting from the Second Amendment according to Festus's suggestions. I am going to post Senator Hatch's reply below. His reply is fairly brief when compared to the other two.

July 15, 2009

Dear (my name):

Thank you for writing to me concerning our right to bear arms. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts with me.

Please know that I have long been a supporter of the Second Amendment and that the Constitution clearly guarantees the right of Americans to own firearms. Our freedom depends on the limits to legislative action that are set out in the Bill of Rights. Those who commit crimes with guns are not likely to allow gun control laws to stand in their way. Rather, I believe that those who abuse the right of gun ownership should face stiffer penalties and that law enforcement agencies and prosecutors should make prosecution of gun crimes a priority.

Again, thank you for writing. Rest assured I will continue to work to uphold our Second Amendment right.

Sincerely,

(signature)

Orrin G. Hatch
United States Senator

OGH:app