Cash for Clunkers participants, you've been Owned!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Cash for Clunkers participants, you've been Owned!

  1. #1

    Cash for Clunkers participants, you've been Owned!

    To proceed through the opening screens of cars.gov, you have to agree to let the government own your data.

    "When logged onto the cars system your computer is considered a federal computer system, and it is property of the United States Government. Any or all uses of this system and all files on this system may be intercepted, monitored, recorded, copied, audited, inspected and disclosed to authorized Cars, DoT, and law enforcement personnel as well as authorized officials of other agencies, both foreign and domestic."

    Here's Glenn Beck's take on it:

    YouTube - Glenn Beck: Cars.gov allows government to takeover your computer

    Good grief!!!
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

  2.   
  3. #2
    This is another example of making something out of nothing.
    1) if you really read the message, what is being said is NOT what the message intends
    2) the site indicated is ONLY for dealers and not the general public..

    There are enough issues out there to try to have intelligent conversations about without making crap up which only serves to make it harder to focus on the real issues at hand!

    IMHO

    Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

  4. #3
    the site indicated is ONLY for dealers and not the general public.
    That's odd. I don't have any problem getting on that website. Maybe I'm 'not the general public".
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

  5. #4
    While the site is designed primarily for dealers to register their transactions anyone can get on to verify eligibility. You do so at your own risk. Personally I won't be visiting the site.

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellM5 View Post
    That's odd. I don't have any problem getting on that website. Maybe I'm 'not the general public".
    I didn't say the public could not get to the website.. However the "public" is NOT the demographic the site was built for.. It was built for dealers to use.. There is a difference between getting to a website and actually utilizing the functions of the website.. A consumer would not typically wind up at this website and if they did, they would quickly realize it is not the website they were looking for..
    Also, if this website is SO dangerous... Because of Glenn's report Many Many more consumers have gone to this website than would ever have gone to it otherwise.. Looking at it from Glenn's point of view, it seems he is trying to help the government out with their ploy...

    Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by HootmonSccy View Post
    I didn't say the public could not get to the website.. However the "public" is NOT the demographic the site was built for.. It was built for dealers to use.. There is a difference between getting to a website and actually utilizing the functions of the website.. A consumer would not typically wind up at this website and if they did, they would quickly realize it is not the website they were looking for..
    Also, if this website is SO dangerous... Because of Glenn's report Many Many more consumers have gone to this website than would ever have gone to it otherwise.. Looking at it from Glenn's point of view, it seems he is trying to help the government out with their ploy...
    Any web site can be "dangerous" in some way. The fact that they make the statement that they "own" all information is what worries me. What's to keep them from reading everything on your hard drive while you're visiting the site? Even the most modern anti-virus and internet protection programs have their weaknesses and you can bet someone working for the government knows about them. The internet is not as safe as many want to believe it is.
    Last edited by ronwill; 08-15-2009 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Grammer

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    Any web site can be "dangerous" in some way. The fact that they make the statement that they "own" all information is what worries me. What's to keep them from reading everything on your hard drive while you're visiting the site? Even the most modern anti-virus and internet protection programs have their weaknesses and you can bet someone working for the government knows about them. The internet is not as safe as many want to believe it is.
    +1. I think in reality they believe they own us.]
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

  9. #8
    I get your point HootmonSccy, and you're correct that it's mostly for dealers. I don't think that anyone who saw it on Glenn Beck would proceed past a certain point on the website though. What concerns me is how many people click right through those kind of screens without reading them. I'm guilty of that myself, in some instances. The same goes for installing software and registering on other websites.

    I am amazed that the government would put a notice like that anywhere. It's outrageous. Why would they think that your computer system is theirs while you're on that sight? Why would they exercise the option of copying your files and possibly reporting them to different agencies? And finally, why would they put the phrase "foreign and domestic" in there?
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    Posts
    637
    Why does everyone always give the government the benefit of the doubt? Just like the Jonah Goldberg guy on the video, saying that 'as conservatives, we have to beleive that the government is just stupid and not evil.'

    COME ON PEOPLE! Governments have been inherently evil since the history of government! There will always be evil people in this world, and evil people love to climb up the totem pole and obtain power and wealth. All that needs to happen for tyranny to set in is for good people to do nothing, and that's what has been happening for over a century now. We need to wake up, the evil people have taken over our government, and are boldly showing themselves now! Stop giving these bastards the benefit of the doubt, and start calling it as it really is!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they don't have a real enemy, they'll invent one in order to mobilize us.

  11. #10
    My question of this cash for clunkers deal is what happens to the clunkers? This initiative is suppose to be a way to get people to turn in their low milage vehicals, in order to buy newer vehicals that get better mpg which is supposed to be a step in the direction of helping the environment. That sounds good, but what are we doing with the old cars? Are they getting turned around and being resold at those shady used car lots? Or are we selling them to some other country like cuba, mexico? Both of which pretty much defeats the purpose of trying to help the environment. The old cars are still out there, and now more people have just bought more cars...

    If they are being "recycled" then what does that intail? Sitting out at a pick a parts lot? Or crushed down and sit in a junk yard? Neither of which really seem to be the best idea.

    How about this idea... Since the govt now owns some of the auto industry, they have come up with a plan to get things moving again. They give you a lucrative "deal" on a trade in vehicle, to get you to buy a new vehicle, now the auto industry is starting to move product again. And now you are back in debt with a new car bill...

    let me know if I'm off base...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast