Requirements to vote - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Requirements to vote

1. Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    Welfare is for those who will not work. Social security is for those that have worked...and oh by the way most of my idotic list is already law. You are obviously uninformed and just looking for an arguement.
    I think he was referring to my list :-)
    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
    Robert A. Heinlein

3. Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    I disagtree totally with the Social Security requirement restriction. If the average worker could put the money they pay into Social Secuirty into an investment account at 1% interest and then draw it out at present rates they would never be able to clear out the funds if they live to be 200. The rest of you list is idiotic at best.
    Yep, I totally agree. Privatize social security. Didn't Pres. Bush try to start this process?
    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    +1. The Bible says "He that does not work does not eat". It is one thing if a person has physical problems so bad that they can not work. It is another if they are just a lazy dumb a_ _ and wants to live off the backs of others.
    The Bible also says that children who disrespect their parents should be put to death. Many things can be taken from the Bible if you you use just one phrase or paragraph. You'll also find verses saying charity is the path to follow. Because so many jump on a single phrase is why so many religions exist today. The Bible should be taken in it's entirety instead of just a phrase or two.

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    The Bible also says that children who disrespect their parents should be put to death. Many things can be taken from the Bible if you you use just one phrase or paragraph. You'll also find verses saying charity is the path to follow. Because so many jump on a single phrase is why so many religions exist today. The Bible should be taken in it's entirety instead of just a phrase or two.
    Yes charity for those that need it but not taxpayer supported welfare for those that simply will not work. There is a big difference. I see nothing in the Bible that excuses people refusing to work and living off the backs of others.

"When the people find they can vote themselves money,
    that will herald the end of the republic."
    Ben Franklin
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    Yes charity for those that need it but not taxpayer supported welfare for those that simply will not work. There is a big difference. I see nothing in the Bible that excuses people refusing to work and living off the backs of others.

"When the people find they can vote themselves money,
    that will herald the end of the republic."
    Ben Franklin
    I agree. Those that abuse the system and are able to work but refuse to should be held accountable. It's a difficult area to control though, just look at all the welfare abuse.

Well, just like there are checks and balances in the government between the three different branches, I believe that there should be checks and balances in the electorate as well. The rich, well-educated property owners are balanced out by the poor, lazy, undeducated and unemployed. Contrary to what others have stated, I think that universal suffrage, as long as all the voters are literate citizens of the U.S., is a good thing.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12