Norton Calls on Homeland Security Officials
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norton Calls on Homeland Security Officials

Norton Calls on Homeland Security Officials

Norton Calls on Homeland Security Officials to Restrict Gun Carrying Outside Public Events Where President and Federal Officials Appear in D.C. and Nationwide
    August 19, 2009

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-DC), who sits on the Homeland Security Committee, today called on the U.S. Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano and U.S. Secret Service Director Mark Sullivan to restrict the carrying of weapons openly or concealed in or around the areas where the President of the United States and cabinet officials are appearing, following reports, photos, and videos of people carrying guns outside of an Obama town hall meeting in Arizona earlier this week. Norton said that this restriction is particularly necessary in the nation's capital, where recently filed litigation seeks to overturn D.C. law in order to allow residents and visitors to carry concealed guns in public.
    The President, cabinet officials and other top foreign and domestic officials regularly travel in motorcades in the nation's capital. The risks of public shootings, which threaten homeland security, have been minimized by gun laws in the District that restrict both open and concealed gun carrying in public. After a Norton hearing last session that revealed that a similar bill would have allowed the open carrying of weapons in the District, even the National Rifle Association voluntarily withdrew the dangerous provisions.
    Norton said that a reported 10 to 12 people were carrying weapons in Arizona on Tuesday in the vicinity of President Obama's appearance. "I seek no change in the local laws of other jurisdictions, and ask only respect for gun laws in my own district," Norton said. "However, it is clear that if the Secret Service can temporarily clear all aircraft from air space when the President is in the vicinity, the agency has the authority to clear guns on the ground that is even closer to the President."
    The Congresswoman said that she hopes that increasingly brazen NRA attempts to nationalize its no-holds barred approach to guns has finally gotten the attention of federal authorities. "The NRA's most recent actions show that the NRA intends to go national on the Ensign amendment approach, the amendment attached to the Senate version of the D.C. Voting Rights bill that would abolish all gun laws in the District," Norton said. She cited the recently defeated Thune amendment to permit the carrying of weapons openly as evidence that the NRA is pressing nationwide its view that there should be no local limits on guns in the nation's capital or elsewhere. "The NRA is using the District as a test case because it is uniquely subject to Congressional dictates. Both in the courts and in Congress, beginning with the violation of D.C.'s home rule right to enact its own gun safety laws, the NRA is on a national gun campaign," she said. However, the NRA suffered a surprise setback in the defeat of the Thune amendment to the defense authorization bill, which would have allowed gun owners to carry concealed weapons across state lines, violating restrictions in other jurisdictions. A similar but even more radical section in the Ensign amendment would make a unique exception for the nation's capital to become the only U.S. jurisdiction where people could cross state lines to purchase handguns and bring them back, facilitating gun running by criminals, terrorists or gangs intent on breaching homeland security in the National Capital Region or public peace in neighborhoods.

Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton - Norton Calls on Homeland Security to Restrict Gun Carrying Outside Public Events (8/19/09)

NRA-ILA :: Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton seeks to usurp local laws and restrict Right-to-Carry at public events

What part of "Shall not be" ~~ doesn't this lady understand?
    Semper Fi

I' ve got news for Rep. Norton. I'm licensed to carry in 37 states and I do. As long as I follow the laws of those states, no one is going to tell me I can't carry my firarm just because the President, a Congressman or someone else shows up where I happen to be.

I hope no one supports her bill, she needs to fall flat on her face on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by DougG View Post
    I hope no one supports her bill, she needs to fall flat on her face on this one.
    This is an NOBAMA Administration...of course they will support it....

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED......
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

When will people wake up and see that we are losing more and more of our freedoms each and everyday??? Every politicion wakes up looking for some bill to introduce so they can further their careers at the expense of our rights. Maybe if the 2nd amendment wasn't constantly under attack, no one would show up displaying their right to bear arms.
    Last edited by JeffXD40; 08-20-2009 at 05:35 PM. Reason: changed a word. (was to wasn't)

The article contains an egregious error repeated numerous times throughout when it refers to Ms. Norton as "Congresswoman." She represents D.C. in the House of Representatives as a Delegate, not a congressperson, and should be referred to as such.

As for the article itself, it comes as no surprise that someone form D.C. would push for something like this. Rather than not allowing citizens to carry around the president, did it ever occur that maybe the president should arm himself and carry his piece openly? What a statement THAT would make!
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Did it ever occur that maybe the president should arm himself and carry his piece openly? What a statement THAT would make!
    His party would crucify him. Besides I doubt he has the intestinal fortitude to be that bold.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by MADnMO View Post
    His party would crucify him. Besides I doubt he has the intestinal fortitude to be that bold.
    I wonder if he even kvows how to shoot a gun. He probably never handled a real firearm in his life.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Sad to say.....no one honors what this country was originally built on. The people no longer run this country. The Government runs this country. We have no say. It has been perfectly clear that what we want, what we say, doesn't matter. Politicians don't care about the "people". They care about themselves and their pockets. We should study history better as a whole. If we did, we would see our founding fathers put up with alot less than we are.
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    I wonder if he even kvows how to shoot a gun. He probably never handled a real firearm in his life.

gf
    He could always ask his buddy from Chicago, Rep. Bobby Rush to teach him!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast